Facebook Testing New Profile Look You Might Hate (Again!)

original.jpg

Plenty of people are still unwrapping their undies after the move to Facebook's super-graphical Timeline look?and now the company is ready to mix things up again.Check out what your profile might look like soon.

Looking at the profile of TPM's Carl Franzen, who already has the new Timeline (apparently in beta testing), the design shift is much cleaner (click up top to enlarge). The largest change is moving your name and vital stats (college, workplace, home location, etc) from underneath the cover photo to right on top of it?superimposed in white text.

The image boxes that used to display your friends and most recent photo are now collapsed into a plain text rectangle?although the latter has already been made redundant with a big image grid at the top of the Timeline itself. Essentially, the entire upper row of the profile is squished, and the "What's on your mind" field gets a big visual priority boost.

It's "cleaner," but that's not always a good thing! Our first eyebrow raise is with the cover flow text?what if your picture has a lot of white space? Or what if it's something more complex than a picture of a cat? White text isn't legible spread across just any graphic, and this could lead to some serious readability problems, although there is a light drop shadow behind the lettering. It might not be enough?don't plan taking your cover photo from that recent ski trip if this new look goes wide.

The loss of seeing your most recently tagged photo and a handful of your friends also makes the tip of the Timeline seem a bit more sterile compared to the OG version from this past fall?and is anyone really creating "Life Events" that would fill out the new Summary tab?

Facebook is probably considering these questions riiiiiight now, and depending on the answers, this overhaul may not ever see light outside of a select few: Franzen says "Facebook declined to specify how many user profiles the new test would involve, as well as whether the new look would eventually be the standard for the website."

Source: Gizmodo

I still thankfully (touch wood) don't have Timeline yet. I hate how slow and cluttered it is. I'm sure mine will eventually get converted, at which time I'll likely just deactivate my page. I already can't stand going to people's pages who have it, I can never find anything. It used to be so nice and clean, now it reminds me of freaking MySpace.

now it reminds me of freaking MySpace.

:bounce: :rainbow: :rainbow: :star: :star: You must have forgotten how bad Myspace got. :star: :star: :rainbow: :rainbow: :bounce:

:&: AUTOPLAY TERRIBLE MUSIC :&: :&: :&: :&:

:laugh:

On the other hand, at least a Myspace page would load (slowly) on a dial-up connection. Timeline usually just sits there showing some dates with blank space around them.

On the other hand, at least a Myspace page would load (slowly) on a dial-up connection. Timeline usually just sits there showing some dates with blank space around them.

Yes well we are in the 21st century.

Timeline is fine. I like the new "new" look they're coming out with.

I was implying that for all the crap on a Myspace page, it would eventually show up. Timeline is so poorly coded that it often just hangs and shows nothing, forget about trying to extract useful information from it.

• Like 2

Yet just one more reason (of the many) of why I am closing my account. :D

since timeline the facebook app is slower then ever and it's painful on wifi,let alone 3g!!! arrrg

I actually like the new look that's pictured there but I just wish they would fix the app on mobile it loads terribly slow.

I regularly use facebook but people are seriously obsessed with trivial changes like this. Get used to changes and move on. No point in bitching about this stuff.

• Like 1

I actually like the new look that's pictured there but I just wish they would fix the app on mobile it loads terribly slow.

+1

couldn't agree more... i dont mind the timeline look.. i think the cover photo is a cool idea... but the mobile app is suuuuperrrslooooooooowwww

I like the new tweaked look.... and what's with the negative topic title? It could just have easily been "Facebook testing new profile look you might love".

Did they finally add a video button, so you can see someones videos? Why do you have to click photos to get to videos?

The new "timeline" look is way ahead of the older profile.

It's not really a timeline is it, it's more like a time-zig-zag.