Verizon Confirms FiOS Speed Increases! 300Mbps!

Verizon has confirmed our exclusive insider information from earlier this month, officially announcing some speed upgrades for the company's FiOS fiber to the home service. According to Verizon, they're significantly ramping up the speeds of several FiOS tiers as well as introducing a new 300 Mbps FiOS tier. All of these changes are slated to begin in June. The graphic below highlights the upcoming changes (click to enlarge):

post-698-0-66263100-1338395669.png

As our insider had correctly stated, Verizon's symmetrical 25 Mbps tier will soon be changed to 50 Mbps downstream and 25 Mbps upstream. The company's current symmetrical 35 Mbps tier will soon see a dramatic bump to 75 Mbps downstream and 35 Mbps upstream. Verizon's also introducing a whopping 300 Mbps downstream, 65 Mbps upstream tier for users in GPON-enabled markets. There's no pricing being announced yet, but Verizon says they'll do so in June when the tiers go live.

"For competitive reasons involving our cable-company competitors, we're holding off announcing the detailed pricing for the new bundle and stand-alone offers until we start offering the new speeds later in June," Verizon's Bill Kula tells Broadband Reports.

That 300/65 Mbps tier clearly puts Verizon in the driver's seat when it comes to bragging rights for top available speeds. Verizon at one point called 100 Mbps service a marketing gimmick before unveiling their previous-fastest 150 Mbps tier. As cable operators close in on FiOS speeds with DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades, Verizon clearly felt it was time to take things to the next level. Judging from Verizon comments, you can expect the company to take prices to the next level as well

Oh well, I am on the 15/5 plan, and never changed it since I actually do get faster speeds than that, so guess I have to stay as is.

Im paying $100/mo for 50Mb/5Mb thru Time Warner's wideband fiber - no tv, no phone; just internet (actualy is 52mb /5.5mb

I wish I had Fios - I'd jump all over that 300/65 - I dont know what I'd need it for, but it would be nice if I ever were able to connect to something that would let you open up the pipe & run it flat out

What's the 300Mbps tier cost? $150+ a month I assume?

150Mbps was already $199/month. So i'm guessing this new 300Mbps plan will be $249/month because they also plan on raising prices.

pff, ill stick to my 4.4Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up ...

:cry: i want more isp's in greenland... (we have monopol isp)

They stopped extending FIOS which is BS IMO I would kill for it here but if those speeds go up and price stays the same I'm gonna be ****ed. Enough ****ed I'll call Comcast just to raise hell at them for not keeping up with competition even thought verizon FIOS is not in this area!!

I'm finding it hard to use more then 25Mbit down at a time... think 25Mbit is a sweet spot for most users, even heavy downloaders like me

i just checked if TW was doing any speed increases too - all i found is that theyre planning to increase my 30/5 package by $10/mo. we're such slaves to them, arent we? :angry:

pff, ill stick to my 4.4Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up ...

:cry: i want more isp's in greenland... (we have monopol isp)

pretty neat youre from greenland! im actually surprised that you get 4.4Mbps down, considering the population in the country.

Speak for yourself, i was downloading yesterday - went all the way to 6MB/s before settling at ~5MB/s for the 14GB file. :D

25Mbit would be fine too, not saying no but I definitely love having 50Mbps (closer to 60Mbps)!

They stopped extending FIOS which is BS IMO I would kill for it here but if those speeds go up and price stays the same I'm gonna be ****ed. Enough ****ed I'll call Comcast just to raise hell at them for not keeping up with competition even thought verizon FIOS is not in this area!!

they ran the lines in our town, but they couldn't get a tv franchise, so they never turned the darn thing on for customers... all that consutrction for nothing

I have the 50/10 with Comcast and I can't even come close to the full speeds. Not too sure what good these speeds will be for a normal user.

for a normal user? not much, for an ISP selling it to a normal user who rarely uses that speed, a ton of $$ for them

I have the 50/10 with Comcast and I can't even come close to the full speeds. Not too sure what good these speeds will be for a normal user.

yeah, all comes down to servers, line congestion on a HFC node and other issues when its a cable system..... but then FiOS has similar issues as its a shared system too... one main fiber to a cabinet to be split to 30 some houses I think i was? so shareing that one fiber with 30 people... with GPON's you can max out that "node" if everyone used it at once... but verizon tries to engineer that kind of issue out when building

That's really nice. We have great downloads in Belgium (100Mbps, and you easily get it), but the fastest upload you can get is 5Mbps, and that is horribly low.

I'm a 25/25 user here (regularly hits 30/25), so an upgrade to 50/25 will be fantastic.

And so soon too. :)