Annoying Freezing Issue

I tried enabling/disabling every possible power related settings on the BIOS and it didn't help. I would get extremely happy for a couple of hours but eventually the freezing nightmare would come back to haunt me.

Strange, after disabling them I haven't had a single freeze for nearly 3/4 days now. :/

I heaven't had problems yet. But keep in mind that windows 8 release preview still buggy.

I would wait for the actual release then upgrade to it. I don't think the update repo for windows 8 release preview will stay up long.

The issue seems to have increased a lot today. I'm using IE not Chrome. It's frozen with and without C3/C6 and EIST disabled. Issue has also ramped up a lot today on my MacBook Pro.

The issue seems to have increased a lot today. I'm using IE not Chrome. It's frozen with and without C3/C6 and EIST disabled. Issue has also ramped up a lot today on my MacBook Pro.

Same here. Had to hard reset 8 times in a row, 2-15 minutes apart. This is just ridiculous.

The only other thing I have disabled in BIOS is HPET.

With HPET, EIST and C3/C6 states all disabled I haven't had a single freeze in 4 days now.

With Just HPET disabled the machine freezes

With Just C3/C6 disabled the machine freezes

With Just EIST disabled the machine freezes

With all 3 disabled I have yet to have a freeze.

ALSO I never did have any freeze with Internet Explorer. Maybe you have another issue :/

This issue seems to be widespread - has happened to me as well. Thought it was Chrome... stopped using Chrome and then it happened once in Firefox. Still going now since then...

I have noticed that the underside of my notebook is hotter and gets hotter more often, whether or not that's related im not sure.

it's all very weird and as much as I love some of the new features, I want to go back to W7 if this doesn't get fixed soon. Is MS aware of the bug?

I got so tired of these freezes that I reinstalled Windows 7. I didn't have a single freeze with the Consumer Preview but lots with the Release Preview.

I thought my issue had to do with Nvidia drivers, but I get the crash even without any installed, and I still get the IE10 crash immediately upon opening after some time using the system.

Does anyone with a P67 chipset and an Nvidia card have absolutely no problems? If so what chipset drivers are you using?

Today when I was on my work I?ve read about a workaround that someone hinted about on another forum (can't remember which now), check it out here: http://rudiv.se/Blog...wser-freeze-fix

I'll try that next. Right before I had found that fix yesterday, someone had mentioned about disabling the pagefile. Both my machines have 8-16GB ram, so I am trying it out. So far no crash in about 7 hours. We'll see how it goes.

I will try this fix when I get home.

I have a dual boot machine (7/8) on the same HDD, will enabling VT in BIOS affect my Windows 7 install at all?

For some reason I can't edit my last post.

The Hypervisor method cleared up my freezing/lockups, but IE still reverts back to crashing upon startup after I use it for a bit, and sometimes starts right off the bat with a clean boot.

Bottom line, is it's usable now for testing and to try out some games.

Trying the Hyper-V workaround now as well. Hopefully it works out.

Not sure why you are having IE crash. I use it as the only browser without issues.

I think the IE thing may be a whole other issue. It's persisted through 5 reinstalls now with 3 different burned media from 3 separate downloads. No telling what it could be.

Trying the Hyper-V workaround now as well. Hopefully it works out.

Not sure why you are having IE crash. I use it as the only browser without issues.

Unfortunately, the Hyper-V workaround doesn't work for me. Still getting freezes. :/

Hyper-V work around has worked for me *so far*. Two days in and no freezes.

Same here, running Google Chrome without issues. Haven't tried playing Battlefield 3 though...

I can confirm this is working as well, but my question is WHY? It doesn't really make sense from the standpoint of knowing how Hyper-V works in relation to how it treats the host as the host still gets direct access to the hardware.

So far it seems to be working for me as well (2 different machines). Had chrome up and running for about 12 hours without a crash.

After a clean reinstall and this Hyper-V trick done immediately after entering Windows I still get an IE that becomes unusable after some time. No computer locks though, so that is good.

Paul Thurrot posted today an article related to some of the issues he is having on Win 8 RP.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/broken-windows-issues-windows-8-release-preview-unusable-143515

The first one looks like the same discussed here.

He wants to presents the issue to MS, so he is looking for people having the problem to contact him.

If anyone else is experiencing these issues, please do contact me immediately. I?d like to present these issues to Microsoft with a bit of backing, particularly for the second issue, which seems more like a poltergeist experience than a technical bug. But that?s what?s happening.

BTW, the Hyper-V workaround has worked for me.