Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2012 - 13:24

I wonder what was causing it?

#107 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 June 2012 - 14:44

I've experienced couple of weird freezes where mouse cursor was responsive and I could click whatever was visible on screen but then nothing would happen. I didn't care much about it because this is a straight update from a 1+ year old Win7 install (yes I got lazy because we're this close to RTM :p) but it seems this is not upgrade issue and the freezes are not specific to any particular app.

#108 XX55XX

XX55XX

Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:39

I'm experiencing the same problems on my Thinkpad T430s, except it occurs whenever I leave the computer idle. I suspect it's driver issues.

Guess I'll go back to Windows 7 for the time being.

#109 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:38

I'm getting this issue now as well. Everything was fine until I installed iTunes, then these freezes started. Seems to happen a lot more when using iTunes, but also happens when the computer is just idling - I'll come back and shake the mouse the screens never come back.

#110 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 27 June 2012 - 20:37

Same issue here.
System dies a slow freezing death.

First right click context menus load slowly, then bring up charms bar to run another app. The app does not launch. Then charm bar does not appear. Then desktop becomes non responsive. Then I press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager and then finally mouse freezes. Hard reboot.

Tried using all latest drivers from intel and Nvidia.
My config
Ivy Bridge i5 3550
Gigabyte Z77P-D3
ASUS GTX 670

Any solutions?

#111 Harrison H.

Harrison H.

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 June 2012 - 20:42

There is the hyperv workaround mentioned earlier in the threat. Outside of that, the issue is fixed in the RTM. But we don't know if they are going to release an update for the RP.

#112 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Neowinian

Posted 28 June 2012 - 00:39

I had gone back to Win7 but after the buzz about Hyper-V I decided to give it a go. Now a day and a half later in Win8, not a single hiccup.

#113 NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo

Neowinian

Posted 28 June 2012 - 15:35

There is the hyperv workaround mentioned earlier in the threat. Outside of that, the issue is fixed in the RTM. But we don't know if they are going to release an update for the RP.

I would hope they release an update for the RP. This small bug renders the OS useless for testing for many users.

#114 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 28 June 2012 - 15:40

I would hope they release an update for the RP. This small bug renders the OS useless for testing for many users.

They won't, their telemetry data isn't showing this bug so they have no clue how widespread it is. Due to the nature of the system never reporting an actual crash, all they see is a bunch of "unexpected" reboots.

#115 Tigran Grigorian

Tigran Grigorian

Neowinian

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:21

I've got the same issues. I connect them to Hyper-V + incopatability with my motherboard (Z68 from Gigabyte).
I had a fully-working Release Preview of Windows 8, but after I installed an nvidia driver + Hyper-V options from the add/remove features, the system started to freeze (5-25 times per day). Now i've got an turned off virtualization in BIOS & installed Hyper-V from Microsoft. It was the combination without freezes, time will tell, will they come back or no. I've tried to spend more than hundred hours to find the component, which started these freezes (tried almost all recommendations from this topic) but still no result. Got 1-2 days without freezes but then they came back (without any chances in system).

#116 Xab

Xab

Behold the Dancing Weasel!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 23:54

How do you know for sure it's fixed in the RTM? Last thing I heard MS is claiming it's not widespread (yeah right).

#117 OP WizardCM

WizardCM

Matt

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:34

An official fix has apparently been posted, and Rafael has written about it.

Here's the fix:

Run the following in an elevated command prompt, then reboot.

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Be sure to read Rafael's blog post on the issue so you understand what the command does.

#118 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:18

^
So,
W8 introduced more power saving features.
They have a bug that makes W8 hard freeze without BSOD.
To fix, revert to W7 power saving features.
?

#119 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:43

Here's the fix:

Be sure to read Rafael's blog post on the issue so you understand what the command does.

This is working for me. Thanks. Have been using the Hyper-V fix until now.

#120 Tigran Grigorian

Tigran Grigorian

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:12

Here's the fix:

Thanks a lot for the fix!!! It seems to be working at least! No freezes yet :)