HTML5 Slow Adoption Due to Cost, Fragmentation

Try a smartphone.

Already have. It worked fine for video, but wasn't much use for the majority of flash apps that weren't really touch friendly.

I like anything that gets the job done right, helps business objectives and allows maximum creativity and innovation for consumers. HTML5 is not it.

Flash does this amazingly well for many cases (although certainly not great for everything), native apps are the wave of the future because you get the best performance, expandability and user experience along with monetization.

HTML5 and Javascript, regardless of some improvements are simply toys. They were never imagined to scale and build complex apps and that's why we see this mess now.

my thoughts exactly....i've been developing RIA's using flex for quite some time, and it gets the job done. i've been tinkering with html5 on my spare time, and it's still got a long road to go, it's not mature enough to implement as a enterprise solution provider. to bad adobe and such are moving their minds on using it as the "perfect" solution for the future.

GET REAL! The de facto standard for the next 5 years is the HTML5 Ecosystem of Web Standards (CSS, JS, WebSocket, etc.)... so, whatever, let's just build it and stop complaining.

Then I would very much like you to deliver this bold statement to Google exec, who, obviously not knowing his trade in the slighest, takes a liberty to doubt that "de facto", in person.

Google is among the top lobbyists of HTML5, even the very spearhead, way ahead of others in adoption in its [Chrome] browser that enjoys continually rising market share, yet nevertheless admits that there are important problems, which to some less hellbent (but, of course, you do what you have to) people have been all too obvious for quite some time.

I do not doubt for a moment that HTML5 will keep being the trend. It's not what it was hoped to be, too ambitious. At the same time, it's the easiest solution possible. Native applications for each individual platform, for instance, require way more development time and skill in every aspect of their lifecycle, meaning more expense, without imminent gain. Why take the risk? Average business is interested to limit a product as much as possible, so as to ensure that there's always enough headroom for future growth, as long as sales are steady. In that respect HTML5 is one of the best things on the table, warranting immediate commitment.

Users are generally ignorant of the technical aspect, to them the primary requirement is that it appears to work. And it does so, and it keeps getting better. Disproportionally, but, hey, that's already a technicality.