windows 8 release preview media player videos blank

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:42

I performed a clean install of Windows 8, and when I try and play any videos in media player, I only get audio and no picture. I've tried this with .wmv .mp4 and .avi.

When I try and play the same video in VLC media player it plays fine, is there anyway I can have it playing in Media Player? I need this functionallity as this also affects Movie Maker, it cannot see the picture in any videos I import into it.

uploading file

#2 winaxter

winaxter

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:43

have you tried installing a codec? Like K-lite mega codec pack

#3 excalpius

excalpius

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:59

Avoid codec packs. Better to install Daum player or VLC (as you mentioned). They are just more fully featured and more compatible that the default Windows media player.

#4 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:03

Definetly an issue with your Graphics Driver.
1. Turn off Hardware accelaration, should does the job

Do you have any Graphics card, which one?

#5 OP McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 03 June 2012 - 14:37

ATI Radeon 5650M, I have the Windows 8 Drivers installed, I can't just use another media player like was suggested above, because I cannot edit videos in Movie Maker, they are blank too.

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 03 June 2012 - 14:38

ATI Radeon 5650M, I have the Windows 8 Drivers installed, I can't just use another media player like was suggested above, because I cannot edit videos in Movie Maker, they are blank too.

Just pointing out, maybe don't use a Beta OS for production work?

#7 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 June 2012 - 14:41

Avoid codec packs. Better to install Daum player or VLC (as you mentioned). They are just more fully featured and more compatible that the default Windows media player.

As a user of Windows Media Centre I completely disagree with that statement, codec packs are a life saver. Although I use Shark007's pack which doesn't interfere with or break the default codecs Microsoft include with Windows.

#8 Ericko

Ericko

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2012 - 17:18

I have the exact same card and I can't play any YouTube videos, it only shows black and after a few seconds the browser reloads the page.

#9 OP McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 03 June 2012 - 20:58

I have the exact same card and I can't play any YouTube videos, it only shows black and after a few seconds the browser reloads the page.

I had the same issue, right-click on the video and uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration"

#10 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 21:01

As a user of Windows Media Centre I completely disagree with that statement, codec packs are a life saver. Although I use Shark007's pack which doesn't interfere with or break the default codecs Microsoft include with Windows.

last i checked it broke avi audio on Win8 ,i got the sound back when i unistalled

no matter what setting i used it is all the same

now happy user of VLC for the formats that doesn't work with WMP

#11 Ericko

Ericko

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2012 - 23:06

I had the same issue, right-click on the video and uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration"

I tried that and it didn't work, I even reinstalled Win8, ended with Win7 again...

#12 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:49

I tried that and it didn't work, I even reinstalled Win8, ended with Win7 again...

It's not issue with Win8. As I said, it's issue with AMD driver issues.
I had the same problem in my Laptop which has ATI Mobility 5650

What I have done is, I downloaded the display driver from my laptop vendor (Sony) for Windows 7 64bit
I installed the same driver running in compatibilty mode.

Once the age-old catalyst driver and center is installed, everything is fine for me now.

Updating to latest catalyst center will do the damage again.

#13 Ericko

Ericko

Neowinian

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:59

What I have done is, I downloaded the display driver from my laptop vendor (Sony) for Windows 7 64bit

I didn't try installing the driver in compatibility mode, maybe I'll try later.

Thanks for the tip.

#14 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:51

It's not issue with Win8. As I said, it's issue with AMD driver issues.
I had the same problem in my Laptop which has ATI Mobility 5650

Once the age-old catalyst driver and center is installed, everything is fine for me now.

Updating to latest catalyst center will do the damage again.

Any chance you could link that driver? I have a Sony with the 5650M as well, and I've tried the Windows 7 download, but it hates me because the executable wants to install on Windows 7, not 8. I could pull the files out of the exe, but if you've found an easier way, I'd love to know :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!