Photo

Do you like or hate Windows 8?

windows 8 like hate microsoft poll windows 8 windows beta microsoft win8

• Please log in to reply
882 replies to this topic

Poll: The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8 (952 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#871 TheMarine

TheMarine

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:51

Hello from a newbie (71 years old though)

I have been using each version of W8 since M/S first offered us the ability to download, and am presently using the RTM, waiting on Oct 26... I am almost forced into the upgrade, as my new PC has the AMD FX-8150 CPU, and W8 is a much more tuned to the CPU's architecture... I did install the latest "Classic Start Menu", which does give me a start button, and I chose to have my boot go directly to the desktop, showing the Metro Start for abouot 1 second... I am slowly getting used to the Metro (or Start) as M/S calls it...

Ray (the Old Marine)
Semper Fi

#872 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:02

Only in the legacy enterprise / OEM installer which hasn't changed at all for Win8. The installer that 99% of people see (i.e. people doing upgrades, or cleaning installing from an existing installation) is totally new for Win8.

I think he's talking about the UI for the Windows 8 installer uses Windows UI from 7, with the same chrome as 7. The only difference is that the background is purple.

#873 xankazo

xankazo

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:35

Well, I'm loving it and I'll get it when it launches. Thanks to the Enterprise Evaluation. :)

#874 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:39

yeah i think it's really great.. i'm already using it on mywork laptop..

tbh, i think there are perhaps too many clicks to do some things, but i won't let that bother me too much :)

#875 Mark Christian Klass

Mark Christian Klass

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:05

I've never had a problem with Windows 8 itself, though some apps don't work properly. That's to be expected though, and it's not Microsoft's fault. I don't see why people whine and cry so much about something as simple as a start menu. I myself have never used the start menu by clicking it and clicking on programs, and selecting the program I want. I press the Windows key, type the name of the app, and press enter. I can still do that in Windows 8, and it's much faster.

To all you whiners out there, please, PLEASE try to adapt to change, and not be so resistant to it. Just because you're used to a certain way of doing things doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way.

Cheers.

#876 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:32

More flamebait, yawn.

Cheers.

#877 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:34

More flamebait from *******s. And the Mods like it instead of acting on it.

Cheers.

Where is the flamebait? If you believe there is flamebait, please report it. We can't do anything about it if you don't report it and we don't spot it. None of Mark Christian Klass's post seems like flamebait to me. Surely you're not suggesting that him suggesting people aren't adapting well to change is flamebait?

#878 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:36

I hate Windows 8

threads.

Do you hate the things it does?

I installed it so that I could format a hdd I was having problems with.

I found it a pain having to enter my email and password and the intrusive nature of the software.

However I did buy the upgrade and when amazon.co.uk dispatch it then I will probably install it as an upgrade.

#879 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:48

Do you hate the things it does?

I installed it so that I could format a hdd I was having problems with.

I found it a pain having to enter my email and password and the intrusive nature of the software.

However I did buy the upgrade and when amazon.co.uk dispatch it then I will probably install it as an upgrade.

Posted Image

#880 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:58

I think "hate" is a bit of a strong word, but yes, I dislike it and will not be using it.

#881 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:34

I've never had a problem with Windows 8 itself, though some apps don't work properly. That's to be expected though, and it's not Microsoft's fault. I don't see why people whine and cry so much about something as simple as a start menu. I myself have never used the start menu by clicking it and clicking on programs, and selecting the program I want. I press the Windows key, type the name of the app, and press enter. I can still do that in Windows 8, and it's much faster.

To all you whiners out there, please, PLEASE try to adapt to change, and not be so resistant to it. Just because you're used to a certain way of doing things doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way.

Cheers.

Um we adapted to change. From Windows 3.1 all the way to Windows 7. The changes that happened were for the BETTER for us that like to multitask and have many windows displaying at the same time. Windows 8 made changes for the worse, not better FOR ME. I will not blindly accept a new OS just because it is new. If it does not make me do my tasks more efficiently, and instead it makes some of the tasks more complicated, I will stick with a previous version.

Please, can somebody explain to me why the heck I cannot boot directly to the desktop? Sure all I have to do is click Desktop, but doing that every day is very very annoying. I am never in the start screen other than to open applications. Why can't they put an option to boot directly to the desktop so I can start working right away every day instead of taking an unnecessary step every morning (and multiple times if I am installing stuff and rebooting a lot).

I guess I can live with the fact that I will have a 30" start screen in my face a lot of times, but come on. At least give us Desktop users the option to go DIRECTLY to the desktop WITHOUT an extra step for us to do every single day.

Just because you're used to a certain way of doing things doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way.

SO a better way to get to the Start Screen is to have an invisible "hit box" that you must click? That is a much better way than a visual cue? A better way is to have shut down moved to another invisible Charms bar? Things are different, but come on they are not "better" than what we have already.

Why do you guys feel so threatened by options? The same type of visual cue in Windows 7 will only allow us to click it more easily. It will not make support more difficult because everybody is used to a visual cue. Booting directly to the desktop will not make support more difficult. In fact it will make support easier if a user needs to go to the desktop for something.

MOST of the complaints will vanish if they just did those two things. I know some people prefer the Start Menu vs the Start Screen (such as myself), but at least give us a button to press to launch the Start Screen and some of us (like me) will be happy.

They need to get rid of these invisible collision boxes. Support becomes a nightmare when things are hidden.

#882 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:03

Why do you guys feel so threatened by options? The same type of visual cue in Windows 7 will only allow us to click it more easily. It will not make support more difficult because everybody is used to a visual cue. Booting directly to the desktop will not make support more difficult. In fact it will make support easier if a user needs to go to the desktop for something.

MOST of the complaints will vanish if they just did those two things. I know some people prefer the Start Menu vs the Start Screen (such as myself), but at least give us a button to press to launch the Start Screen and some of us (like me) will be happy.

Because there's just no point of having one way to access Start from the desktop but a different way of accessing it everywhere else. You're going to have to learn the corner anyway so why not just make it consistent everywhere (and therefore less prone to confusion - having two ways to do the same thing tends to make people wonder if they're somehow different).

#883 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:36

I've been using it for about a week now with the Start Menu and the MetroUI Skip mod. It just makes everything much easier for me to use. Eventually, I might uninstall them both once I've fully got to groups with all of Windows 8's new features, but for now I'm perfectly happy with my setup.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!