Photo

Will Win8/RT be the demise of android tablets?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 LAMj

LAMj

Neowinian

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:21

They haven't exactly take on the iPud by storm like they are with smartphone. So with Win8/RT coming soon, would consumers choose an iPad OS look alike (UI-wise) over Win8/RT tablets?

#2 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:24

Better question is, will Win8 even make a dent on the iPad's dominance or just splutter and die out.

#3 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:34

None of us knows. We can only wait and see how the market plays out.
Personally, I believe that Microsoft will give these guys a run for their money.

But it's way to early to draw conclusions.

#4 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:45

I think Win8's only chance is on tablet like devices. I don't think it'll go far on the desktop or laptop arena, but only time will tell. Although if the tablet hardware is overpriced, then Win8 on the tablet will fail hard.

#5 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:45

Considering Android hasn't really made any traction in the tablet market I think Android tablets are pretty much dead. Most analyst think Windows 8 will surpass Android tablets.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:04

Seeing how Computex has so far been all about new Win8 hardware (laptops, tablets, convertibles/hybrids) I'd say yes. And once someone gets used to the UI on a tablet they'll be fine with it on a desktop as well. It never ceases to amaze me how little the average users ability to adapt to new UIs is taken into account here by some. If they can get used to using all these other devices with new UIs then they can do the same with Windows 8.

#7 OP LAMj

LAMj

Neowinian

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:10

^The thing @ Computex is that I haven't seen a big focus on android tablet either. I don't think there were any android tablet demo?

#8 KevinN206

KevinN206

Neowinian

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:12

It's a no brainer that if I were to get a tablet, it would be Windows 8 (RT or Intel). I really do want mouse and USB support. I know some android has it, but the interface doesn't look for me. The good thing is, USB is required on all tablets.

#9 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:20

You might argue against Windows 8 on the desktop (please, not in this thread!), but Windows 8 is undeniably a winner on tablets.

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:04

Demise? No. No operating system is going to make everyone happy. Besides, it's not going to compete with the budget hardware (or did I miss a cheap RT device), say the Kindle Fire, Nook and the like which is selling rather well, and with good reason. Probably going to be very popular with the higher end devices though for sure. Just my own opinion of course, but have had zero interest in iOS, and I've been rather underwhelmed with Android.. my biggest problem is debating which device to get, lots of interesting choices being shown over the past few days.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:08

windows 8 is going to smoke the ipad in one month.

#12 helpifIcan

helpifIcan

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 June 2012 - 17:24

Only for the well to do as least in the beggining.

#13 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:04

yeah, I think Android Tablets have pretty much flopped in the market. I have never seen anyone using a Galaxy Tab, and that is supposedly the most popular Android Tablet. Plus, all those rumors about Google releasing their own tablet have been going on for so long, I don't think anyone cares about it anymore.

Windows 8 is really a breath of fresh air. It also helps that Microsoft's approach to tablets is fundamentally different, they're bringing PC features and capabilities down to smaller and simpler devices. It's actually exciting.

#14 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:09

Honestly, I don't see Windows 8 going very far. Android i is well-known and has a major role in the phone market. Android tablets haven't taken off, but not due to Android.. but due to Apple. I don't see Windows 8 tablets faring any better, especially considering that WP never really took off either.

#15 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:12

I think W8 on slates will easily outpace and outperform the Droid ones. While the iPad is a tougher nut to crack, it will fall in time as well.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!