Will Win8/RT be the demise of android tablets?

They haven't exactly take on the iPud by storm like they are with smartphone. So with Win8/RT coming soon, would consumers choose an iPad OS look alike (UI-wise) over Win8/RT tablets?

None of us knows. We can only wait and see how the market plays out.

Personally, I believe that Microsoft will give these guys a run for their money.

But it's way to early to draw conclusions.

I think Win8's only chance is on tablet like devices. I don't think it'll go far on the desktop or laptop arena, but only time will tell. Although if the tablet hardware is overpriced, then Win8 on the tablet will fail hard.

Considering Android hasn't really made any traction in the tablet market I think Android tablets are pretty much dead. Most analyst think Windows 8 will surpass Android tablets.

Seeing how Computex has so far been all about new Win8 hardware (laptops, tablets, convertibles/hybrids) I'd say yes. And once someone gets used to the UI on a tablet they'll be fine with it on a desktop as well. It never ceases to amaze me how little the average users ability to adapt to new UIs is taken into account here by some. If they can get used to using all these other devices with new UIs then they can do the same with Windows 8.

• Like 3

It's a no brainer that if I were to get a tablet, it would be Windows 8 (RT or Intel). I really do want mouse and USB support. I know some android has it, but the interface doesn't look for me. The good thing is, USB is required on all tablets.

You might argue against Windows 8 on the desktop (please, not in this thread!), but Windows 8 is undeniably a winner on tablets.

Demise? No. No operating system is going to make everyone happy. Besides, it's not going to compete with the budget hardware (or did I miss a cheap RT device), say the Kindle Fire, Nook and the like which is selling rather well, and with good reason. Probably going to be very popular with the higher end devices though for sure. Just my own opinion of course, but have had zero interest in iOS, and I've been rather underwhelmed with Android.. my biggest problem is debating which device to get, lots of interesting choices being shown over the past few days.

yeah, I think Android Tablets have pretty much flopped in the market. I have never seen anyone using a Galaxy Tab, and that is supposedly the most popular Android Tablet. Plus, all those rumors about Google releasing their own tablet have been going on for so long, I don't think anyone cares about it anymore.

Windows 8 is really a breath of fresh air. It also helps that Microsoft's approach to tablets is fundamentally different, they're bringing PC features and capabilities down to smaller and simpler devices. It's actually exciting.

Honestly, I don't see Windows 8 going very far. Android i is well-known and has a major role in the phone market. Android tablets haven't taken off, but not due to Android.. but due to Apple. I don't see Windows 8 tablets faring any better, especially considering that WP never really took off either.

Would I wipe my TF101 clean of Android ICS if I was able to install Windows 8 RT on it

Hell yes.

This tablet has made me hate Android... and ASUS

If consumers buying the Arm version of Windows 8 thinking it will run normal pc software, Microsoft going to get some flac.

If they can get consumers to think of this as a tablet, in the same sense of ipad, andriod, that you have to go through it's "store" to get apps, then it might have a chance to take off.

They will easily overtake android.... it will probably take 1-3 years before they threaten the ipad's lifetime sales.

Honestly I don't think winRT will do a thing in the market nor will this be very popular in desktop upgrades.... I think the folding all in ones will start to get traction in the desktop space because of win8 (again shown at computex).

I see win8 doing huge numbers in the x86 dockable tablet/transformer/laptop market.... Computex was a testament to this where they had all kinds of new form factors. All the interesting and creative designs that have gone into android in the past are now win8.... that is very telling imo.

it could very well endup overthrowing the ipad for the 1st place

the ipad won't decline but i belive Windows RT would outgrow it by 2015 at worst ;)

keeping in mind the market is expending

and by the time i going to retire my i7 rig

for some 12nm mobile godness! :D :jump: :hump:

Win8/RT will do very very well if the prices are decent. So far it's not looking good though.

If they can stay around the pricing of an iPad, they will definitely have their place in the market. If not, it will probably just be a niche fad like a netbook.

At $1000+, people will buy a laptop instead.

At $800, people will buy an iPad unless the Win8 tablet has some extraordinary features.

At $600, it will sell like crazy.

They haven't exactly take on the iPud by storm like they are with smartphone. So with Win8/RT coming soon, would consumers choose an iPad OS look alike (UI-wise) over Win8/RT tablets?

Well it's been a year a half man.. give it a bit of time.. Android phones annihilated iPhone 2-3 years in.. not right away.. we've seen the same old nonsense how Android is dead (with phones) and then BAM, it became the most powerful and most popular mobile OS.

Actually if you put things in perspective Android tablets have done EXTREMELY well in a year and a half. They have taken almost 50% of the iPad marketshare.

As for your question, I think Windows 8 will be affecting iOS more than Android. Those who want closed up system but with different hardware and a slick Metro UI that's pretty original will dump iOS and go Windows 8.. and those who already have Android phones and apps and software have less need to go Windows 8 because they already have everything Windows 8 will do and more.

The only one who will lose in that case is Apple, not Android. Not to mention that same manufacturers will make Android and Windows 8 devices, while you'll still have one Apple.

Win8/RT will do very very well if the prices are decent. So far it's not looking good though.

If they can stay around the pricing of an iPad, they will definitely have their place in the market. If not, it will probably just be a niche fad like a netbook.

At $1000+, people will buy a laptop instead.

At $800, people will buy an iPad unless the Win8 tablet has some extraordinary features.

At $600, it will sell like crazy.

I'm sure with a plethora of different configurations and form factors, pricing will not be a problem. I think the problem will be apps and features.

Ha ha ha! Get it? iPud! This guy is so clever!!