Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:03

Frankly I wouldn't mind going further: SSE3
>:-D

#47 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:07

Code compiled with VS 2010 or later emits SSE2 instructions, as does the CLR in Windows 8. For example, if you installed the CP on a machine without SSE2, and went to Computer Management, the system would crash. Thus the hard block was added for these ancient CPUs.

According to all the information that I have seen, all Pentium 4 CPU's support SSE2

#48 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:09

I have an old P4 rig with SSE2 instructions, just installing 7 on it atm, I`ll run AIDA64 and see what its got

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:18

Wrong - P4s (even the Original Northwood) run even modern distributions of any FOSS quite handily - that is, in fact, their greatest benefit.

In fact, on such hardware, Linux is of more practical use than even Windows XP.

Tried installing ubuntu on a computer at work recently, it crashed on startup with a kernel panic because of the CPU. and while it was old, it wasn't that old, newer than this P4 I believe at the very least. Fedora does run on it though. of course Fedora is a bitch because of it's locked down repo's.

As for efficiency. the only reason linux runs better on old hardware is because you can turn down visual fidelity to crap level and turn of anything that ads to usability of the system. To take it to an extreme, yes a Command line OS will run better on old hardware than one with a user friendly GUI.

#50 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:22

^^ i didnt even get to that part the adviser before setup even began said processor not compatible. It has to be a glitch or this is the most bloated version of windows to date

1) You're doing something wrong. I've installed Win8 on systems older than that.
2) Of course it is the most bloated to date. You don't go backwards on requirements. Yes, it requires more than Win 7. But its a negligible difference. It will run about the same as 7 on the rig you described.

#51 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:26

Tried installing ubuntu on a computer at work recently, it crashed on startup with a kernel panic because of the CPU. and while it was old, it wasn't that old, newer than this P4 I believe at the very least.

The only thing that could have crashed it would have been the requirement of the "i686 instruction set" and that has there since Pentium Pro.

#52 2III7

2III7

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:28

running w8 on celeron 430 1.8ghz with no problems. has to something wrong with your configuration.

#53 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:30

I have an old P4 rig with SSE2 instructions, just installing 7 on it atm, I`ll run AIDA64 and see what its got

P4 Northwood - 2.6GHz - (Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2)

#54 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:30

According to all the information that I have seen, all Pentium 4 CPU's support SSE2

I think the number of CPUs that support SSE2 but not NX is very small. The requirements are NX+PAE+SSE2. From what I understand, everything that supports NX also supports SSE2.

The whitepaper someone linked to earlier in the thread explains all this in detail.

#55 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:32

The only thing that could have crashed it would have been the requirement of the "i686 instruction set" and that has there since Pentium Pro.

From what I recall, some Linux distros are compiled with SSE2 instructions and others are not.

#56 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:33

running w8 on celeron 430 1.8ghz with no problems. has to something wrong with your configuration.

You processor is at least 5 years newer than OP's. And it supports NX. The processor that this thread is about does not support NX.

http://ark.intel.com...GHz-800-MHz-FSB

#57 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:33

Hate to break you, but your facts don't match up with real world facts. Maybe I'll hook it up to the screen and try to boot the stick again and photo the screen.

#58 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:45

I think the number of CPUs that support SSE2 but not NX is very small. The requirements are NX+PAE+SSE2. From what I understand, everything that supports NX also supports SSE2.

The whitepaper someone linked to earlier in the thread explains all this in detail.

Not really true. NX as we currently know it only made it's way into the Pentium 4 range from later iterations of Prescott cores and onwards, which means that all of the Williamette, Northwood, and first iterations of Pentium 4-M, Pentium 4 Mobile, and Gallatin (Pentium 4 Extreme edition) processors have SSE2 but no hardware support for NX, which is well over half of the Pentium 4 range. More specifically the Socket 775 or 5xJ and 5x9J series were the first CPU's to support hardware NX)

#59 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:50

All Pentium 4 processors support SSE2.

#60 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 23:01

Not really true. NX as we currently know it only made it's way into the Pentium 4 range from later iterations of Prescott cores and onwards, which means that all of the Williamette, Northwood, and first iterations of Pentium 4-M, Pentium 4 Mobile, and Gallatin (Pentium 4 Extreme edition) processors have SSE2 but no hardware support for NX, which is well over half of the Pentium 4 range. More specifically the Socket 775 or 5xJ and 5x9J series were the first CPU's to support hardware NX)

You're arguing with the wrong person. I believe Brandon works for Microsoft. I think he'd know what's up more than you would.