microsoft surface and amd?

microsoft surface

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2012 - 19:40

My Laptop begs to differ since with my customizations I tend to be closer to lower ends i7s, and mostly on par with i5, for a fraction of the price and far better graphics power.

Translated: I paid far less money for such an amazing machine. All of the people complaining about APUs surely haven't tested their real power using both overclocking abilities in both CPU and GPU (dedicated)

No, you're not. You're deluding yourself because you spent a chunk of money. That's normal.

Intel CPUs are way above and beyond the supposed "competing" AMD CPUs in every range. This is CPU only, mind. Of course, as soon as you get an Intel with a dedicated mobile GPU, it again blows any competing AMD chip out of the water. Anecdotal evidence aside, you only need look at the benchmarks.

#32 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2012 - 19:47

omg....enough with sandybridge, ivy is less efficient and more power hungry then sandy...dont you get that?

Mega FAIL. Clearly you have ZERO clue of what you are talking about.
Posting the same graph over and over doesn't make any of AMD's stuff better than Intel.

You seriously need to take off the fanboy glasses, dude.

#33 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 June 2012 - 19:49

No, you're not. You're deluding yourself because you spent a chunk of money. That's normal.

Intel CPUs are way above and beyond the supposed "competing" AMD CPUs in every range. This is CPU only, mind. Of course, as soon as you get an Intel with a dedicated mobile GPU, it again blows any competing AMD chip out of the water. Anecdotal evidence aside, you only need look at the benchmarks.

noone has argued intel isn't faster(if i remember correctly aceles laptop is hardly a laptop anymorr even), the point argued is that AMD is just as good for gaming, and upyou get a far betterr gaming computer for the same amount of money with an AMD.

and my evidence of both the computers I sell and my own home desktop gaming computer is hardly anecdotal.

but then again you just ignore any posts that you can't argue with outside ofyour argument that"AMD sucks". I doubt you've even tried an amd computer in the last few years based on your posts.

you can play any game released today on highest settings for less money on and AMD. and because the requirements on a gaming computer is highly dependent on gpu and very little on cpu when a new game is released that it can't run on highest, it's not because of the cpu and both it and the more expensive intel computer( with an i7 that never gets even close to 50% utilized) will need to be updated.

#34 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 25 June 2012 - 19:54

There's nothing wrong with AMD processors, they're perfectly performant, and of course you can game on them. They've also got a price/performance sweet-spot in the midrange. They don't have the ultimate performance crown, and they don't have have the performance/watt figures that Intel have, which is why ivy Bridge is the better solution for the Surface (although it will add to the cost). It is amusing though, how much people overspend on Intel based systems and end up getting high end i7s for gaming, which is totally unnecessary. Games stop being CPU bottlenecked well within AMD's performance envelope.

I think the ultimate reason Microsoft went with an Intel solution was as much partner relationship as anything performance/watt of their chips; Intel have been known to do custom spins of certain chips for specific customer requirements (first generation MacBook Airs for example). It might be that kind of custom spin that particularly fits Surface in a way that a more off-the-shelf solution from AMD wasn't able to.