social networking steve ballmer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,098 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 21:32

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Is corporate America ready to adopt social networking alongside traditional office tools like word processing apps and spreadsheets?

Microsoft is making a big bet in that direction. It has acquired Yammer, an "enterprise social networking" startup, for $1.2 billion in cash. The deal is Microsoft's (MSFT, Fortune 500) biggest acquisition since Skype.

Yammer operates like a gated Facebook (FB): A business can set up a private network where employees can post announcements, share files, create events, swap messages and more. It also offers more traditional corporate features like a content management system and an "extranet" that businesses can use to communicate with outside contacts like customers and vendors.

Buying Yammer "underscores our commitment to deliver technology that businesses need and people love," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said in a prepared statement.

Yammer, which was founded in 2008, had raised about $142 million in venture funding. It claims more than 5 million corporate users, including 80% of the Fortune 500 list.

more

#2 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

• 4,885 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 21:35

More money than sense, I guess.

#3 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 9,897 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 June 2012 - 22:30

I doubt $1.2 billion is very much for Microsoft.

#4 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

• 3,804 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 23:34

I doubt $1.2 billion is very much for Microsoft.

It is a sizable amount (less than half of a percent of their market cap, but still a good amount of money).

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 00:56

Seems like a waste of money to me but who knows, it might be the next big thing.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,424 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 26 June 2012 - 13:44

It's another piece of the sharepoint and Office pie. It's really not hard to understand why they did this in the first place. Another level of enterprise communication to slot next to Lync and integrate with Sharepoint etc.