Homeless man guards graveyard

A cash-strapped California police department recruited a homeless man nicknamed "Shortstack" to keep watch over a cemetery that has seen $28,000 in vandalism damage over the last year, Fox40.com reported.

In exchange for keeping an eye on the Marysville Cemetery, Donald "Shortstack" Oliver, 58, will be allowed to live in a city-leased trailer overlooking the area.

Oliver, who has a slight build and long beard, has been homeless for three years. During that span, he maintained a solid relationship with local police and because of that, has been entrusted with protecting the cemetery that?s been around since 1850 -- before California was a state.

"You should respect the people who are buried here. Each life, every headstone has a story. It represents a life that's been lived and you should respect that," said Oliver.

Roberta Shurtz and volunteers from the Marysville Cemetery Commission are restoring old gravesites. She hopes that Oliver's presence will deter the vandalism problem that has plagued the cemetery for years. Shurtz said the last time there was an on-site caretaker was about 20 years ago.

"We're hoping it will prevent future vandalism," said Shurtz.

Oliver has already cleared away years of brush in his first week on the job. He'll keep a watch out for vandals after hours.

"I never thought in my lifetime I'd be overseeing a graveyard, but hey the good Lord has his ways," Oliver said.

source

I have no time for grave yard vandels. When my father died years ago, we stopped by his grave only to find two people in their 20's stealing the roses that were placed on the grave. I was ****ed. I was too young to do anything, if that was now though, I think I would have thrown their ass in a hole and came back a few hours later to help them out.

Graveyard vandalism is very common.

I was more curious about the mentality of someone who does it.

surprised some idiot hasn't said "too cheap to hire for an actual wage" "they are just using cheap free labour" blah blah blah

Why would that be idiotic? It's entirely accurate. They don't have the money to provide a proper wage and it is next to free labour. Where is the stupid part?

I was more curious about the mentality of someone who does it.

All kinds? Grave robbing has always happened. Yes, vandalism is different, but it's in the same vein.

Why would that be idiotic? It's entirely accurate. They don't have the money to provide a proper wage and it is next to free labour. Where is the stupid part?

i am in agreement with you, what i was saying was surprised someone has cried about it yet.

All kinds? Grave robbing has always happened. Yes, vandalism is different, but it's in the same vein.

I don't know, I think it takes a very particular kind of person do desicrate gravesites. Grave robbing is slightly less repulsive because the intention is theft, not mindless desicration.

i am in agreement with you, what i was saying was surprised someone has cried about it yet.

It's sad Cali has got to the point where they have to do stuff like this. Perhaps that is what you get when you hire actors as governors... Or maybe it has nothing to do with schwarzenegger.