spanking study mental health disorders

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 18:51

Just because you can "remember" these things does not directly impact your adult mental state. I was beaten with a belt, had my mouthed washed out with soap, beaten by my five siblings, yet I am not depressed, have anxiety, nor am I paranoid. I also believe, looking back, I justly deserved everything and it taught me boundaries and respect.

Seems like these data collectors love to twist all kinds of things around to make their hypothesis meet the numbers. "What? You're child just died and you are depressed? And you were spanked as a child? Therefore, being spanked = adult depression." Such b.s.

I had all the things that you said where done to you done to me. I also have all three things the study mentioned.

#32 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:59

Think there is a pattern. There is a difference between spanking and abusing. You hear about it a lot but never see the abuse that goes on behind closed doors. Spanking is "corrective" and hitting/beating is "abusive". There is nothing wrong with spanking as its the same as slapping a toddlers hand for try to touch an electrical socket (which does have a cover of course). It should startle but never hurt. BIG BIG difference. For those that oppose spanking, sorry you were abused. It was not your fault your parents took it too far. It was their mistake and I hope you can eventually see the difference.

#33 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,496 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:18

If it's not acceptable to strike an adult, then it's not acceptable to strike a child full stop.

Children != Adults

An adult has the ability to comprehend the consequences of their actions; a child does not. Therefore your premise is fundamentally flawed.

#34 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,904 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:24

This is complete nonsense. Lack of punishment creates unruly children and later unruly adults...

No one is endorsing beating them or anything, but there is nothing wrong with spanking.

#35 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,741 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:26

yeah I call complete bull**** on this study, not to mention not spanking and punishing children is proving to cause worse problems

#36 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 905 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:34

Blame everyone else but yourself I guess...

Exactly! Overweight people say "It's McDonalds Fault". Poor People say "It's the governments fault". Etc Etc Etc. If you can't cope with what's going on in your life, it's not your parents fault for spanking you. Ridiculous.

#37 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:24

yeah I call complete bull**** on this study, not to mention not spanking and punishing children is proving to cause worse problems

please. Show me a study that shows spanking your children helps.

You should punish them. But there are a hell of a lot more ways.

#38 Gabureiru

Gabureiru

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:31

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Agreed, paranoia, anxiety, better than teen pregnancy, and a whole lot of other real problems.

#39 a.mcdear

a.mcdear

Neowinian

• 139 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:37

I got spanked all the time. I turned out just fine. The only time its been uncommon for children to get spanked by their parents, is the most recent 30 years of human existence.
...And its causing todays kids to grow up to be wimpy, whiny, easily offended, lets-make-everything-illegal-because-its-unsafe-or-offensive type people.

#40 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

• 1,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:44

Don't spank your kids, they might turn into liberals when they grow up :rofl:

#41 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:46

I was spanked when I deserved it, and I'm glad. Sorted me out and I don't feel "traumatised" at all. Probably depends on the kid, and you have to be able to test different punishment methods and see which they respond to better. If I recall, my brother's most effective type was sending him to his room. He went crazy when he couldn't interact with the rest of us and just the threat of the "isolation" for a while was enough to make him behave/listen/do what he needed to. We're all quite well-adjusted, and I love my mom and am glad she did what needed to be done, tough love was needed.

I find it ironic that this thread is right up in the mini-spy at the moment with "Today's youth not fit to be employed". Yeah, they might be if more parents actually disciplined their children properly in the past 10-20 years.

#42 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,006 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:49

please. Show me a study that shows spanking your children helps.

You should punish them. But there are a hell of a lot more ways.

http://www.parentdis...-good-for-kids/

When Id done something that was way over the line I got spanked. Anything that got me spanked I never did again. But anything that just got me grounded or pocketmoney taken away just made me try to be more careful about getting caught. If I knew something was bad enough to warrant being smacked I would decide it wasn't worth it.

#43 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:50

O these researches. It is extremely easy to find contradicting researches in this subject.

So I guess let's hug the kids when they mess up..So much easier..lol

#44 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:52

Yeah, we can look at our modern society to see how well that was worked......not at all.

You honestly believe that has anything to with the lack of spanking...

It attributes to almost 0% of modern society.

Trying to reason with a kid is just asinine. Kids need to know that there's a line not to cross and if they then there are consequences for their actions.

Okay, so the consequences must be a physical slap?

#45 SongHyeonDeok

SongHyeonDeok

Lightning in a bottle.

• 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:53

I find it ironic that this thread is right up in the mini-spy at the moment with "Today's youth not fit to be employed". Yeah, they might be if more parents actually disciplined their children properly in the past 10-20 years.

Gimme a break...