Photo

Windows 8 RP: Mouse jerking and freezing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:26

Has anyone experienced their mouse becoming jerky and sticking in Windows 8 RP?

#2 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:29

IE10 three digit tab numbers. IE10 effectively fails under stress.

#3 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:36

Can you provide a bit more information? Is it jerky all the time or during boot? Or is it only certain applications? Desktop or RT or both?

#4 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:43

Can you provide a bit more information? Is it jerky all the time or during boot? Or is it only certain applications? Desktop or RT or both?

Happens randomly long after boot. Mostly notice it in Firefox, but have seen it happen using a program called Wavepad. Seems to happen when my HDD is being accessed. My specs are in my sig. Happened on a completely different rig as well. Using Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and Wireless Mouse 5000.

#5 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:49

Happens randomly long after boot. Mostly notice it in Firefox, but have seen it happen using a program called Wavepad. Seems to happen when my HDD is being accessed. My specs are in my sig. Happened on a completely different rig as well. Using Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and Wireless Mouse 5000.

Do you use Steam by any chance?

#6 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:51

Do you use Steam by any chance?

Nope.

#7 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:54

Nope.

Hmm... I have no idea, then. I had to disable Steam from running at startup because it was flaking out. (On Win7 as well.)

The only other thing I could suggest is posting a log from MSINFO32 and maybe someone could help. I haven't had any input-related issues since the DP.

#8 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:02

is it a bluetooth mouse by any chance? because that will happen to me, usually 10-15 seconds it comes back.

#9 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:05

is it a bluetooth mouse by any chance? because that will happen to me, usually 10-15 seconds it comes back.

No, it's a bluetrack MS mouse.

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:08

Run CrystalDiskInfo and make sure that all your hard-drives are healthy, as it could be that your drive is failing. However, you also mention that it happened on another system. Are there any common denominators? The same brand of mouse? Have you installed the drivers for your mouse / keyboard (if you have perhaps you could try uninstalling them)? Are you running the same programs (Firefox, Bittorrent)?

Have you tried using a different browser? It might be an unstable plugin.

#11 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:32

I'm using the same HDD, KB/Mouse from old rig. HDD checks out fine. Elusive little bug. No problems when running Windows 7, btw.

Run CrystalDiskInfo and make sure that all your hard-drives are healthy, as it could be that your drive is failing. However, you also mention that it happened on another system. Are there any common denominators? The same brand of mouse? Have you installed the drivers for your mouse / keyboard (if you have perhaps you could try uninstalling them)? Are you running the same programs (Firefox, Bittorrent)?

Have you tried using a different browser? It might be an unstable plugin.

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:37

When your mouse is playing up is your keyboard responsive? As in, can you use keyboard shortcuts to launch the Start screen, alt-tab between apps, etc? It's quite possible it's just a mouse fault rather than a Windows 8 fault per se.

#13 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 13:46

When your mouse is playing up is your keyboard responsive? As in, can you use keyboard shortcuts to launch the Start screen, alt-tab between apps, etc? It's quite possible it's just a mouse fault rather than a Windows 8 fault per se.

No issues with the keyboard that I can tell. Windows 8 auto-downloaded the intellipoint software, so it might be a bug with that.

#14 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:28

Check out this MS Answers article: http://answers.micro...4f-aed1c3cb65e2

One of the solutions in the thread might help.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 04 July 2012 - 21:58

No issues with the keyboard that I can tell. Windows 8 auto-downloaded the intellipoint software, so it might be a bug with that.

Given that your problem seems to be with the mouse and not with general system responsiveness I'd definitely uninstall that and see if it helps, as I've found that mouse and keyboard utilities tend to cause more problems than they're worth.

It's worth considering buying another mouse of a different brand, as I've read about a lot of problems with Microsoft mice over the years. You can get a decent Logitech high-DPI mouse for a sensible price or a Razer for a little bit more. With many mice you can save custom settings directly to the mouse and then you don't need to bother with the driver utilities any more. Still, I wish you all the best in fixing your issue.