Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is the 3DS worth it?

21 posts in this topic

Posted

With the 3DS XL coming out in a few weeks I have been considering getting a 3DS.

The last Nintendo handheld I had was the DS Lite and was dissappointed with the lack of decent third party titles considering the first party Nintendo ones are few and far between.

Other than Mario and Zelda is a 3DS really worth it?

I love the massive screens of the XL but would I be better picking up a second hand 3DS once everyone sells theirs to get the XL, or is the XL really worth

Posted

the biggest thing to consider is how cheap you can obtain a 3DS, and games as well. I never pay full retail price for games - few games are worth it. likewise, i bought my 3DS second hand last year.

i've had a lot of fun w/ my 3DS so far. Mario 3D land is amazing, as is Mario Kart.

Paper Mario will be out this fall, as will Luigi's Mansion. i'm also looking fwd to the new Professor Layton.

imo, the XL isnt worth it. they take the same resolution, but just give it bigger pixels.

Posted

I bought one on launch day but still use my DSi more than the 3DS. If you can find it cheap, I'd say it's OK. You can find the games cheap on sites like Glyde. Even gamefly sells cheap games every now and then. (Edit: Not sure if those sites are available in your location).

Posted

I love the 3DS. Some of the games like the new Spiderman game make excellent use of the technology. If you can find one at a discounted price then I would get it.

Posted

I can get a 3DS for about

Posted

Don't buy this 3DS garbage. Get an iPad - a true quality product

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1341491146' post='594981215']
With the 3DS XL coming out in a few weeks I have been considering getting a 3DS.

The last Nintendo handheld I had was the DS Lite and was dissappointed with the lack of decent third party titles considering the first party Nintendo ones are few and far between.

Other than Mario and Zelda is a 3DS really worth it?

I love the massive screens of the XL but would I be better picking up a second hand 3DS once everyone sells theirs to get the XL, or is the XL really worth

Posted

Do they have flash carts for them yet?

Posted

i had never played a Zelda game in my life (i know, i know) until i bought OOT 3D. it was pretty fantastic.

also, a lot of people seemingly glossed over Splinter Cell 3D. it was a great remake of Chaos Theory. Graphics were pretty good, and the 3D effect worked well.

I have Star Fox to play still.

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1341513648' post='594982153']
Do they have flash carts for them yet?
[/quote]
yes, but the latest firmware upgrade just blocked an unreported amount of them.

Posted

[quote name='vladmihaelescu' timestamp='1341494816' post='594981329']
[/quote]

:wacko: :s :wacko: :s

Anyway...

Wait for the XL. The screen is larger and the quality of the 3D is reported to be a lot better. I'll be trading my 3DS in and upgrading immediately.

Posted

Definately!

I've had hundreds of hours of fun from mario kart, mario 3d land, zelda, and especially kid icarus already.
There may not be a huge library of great games, but there are certainly more available and upcoming than you could ever play completely

Posted

[/quote]

Hahaha. I never knew people on Neowin were so hilarious.

Posted

[/quote]

Yes because everyone likes crappy 100% touch control.

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1341537537' post='594982765']
:wacko: :s :wacko: :s

Anyway...

Wait for the XL. The screen is larger and the quality of the 3D is reported to be a lot better. I'll be trading my 3DS in and upgrading immediately.
[/quote]
Yeah but the XL will be double the price I can get an OG 3DS though. Is it worth double the price???

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1341644482' post='594985639']
Yeah but the XL will be double the price I can get an OG 3DS though. Is it worth double the price???
[/quote]

Wait, what? Why will it be double? Are you buying a used 3DS?

Personally, I'd save up a little more and get the 3DSXL. Especially if portability isn't a huge concern.

Posted

Yes a second hand 3DS goes for

Posted

I had a 3DS back when they were new, and I wasn't that impressed with it. The 3D function is largely a gimmick and it was easier to play games without it on. But that's just me.

Posted

I held off getting one at launch and glad I did as there were no games, now there are. Mario 3d Land, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Theatrhythm, etc.. etc.. I don't really care about 3D I just like first party Nintendo stuff, the 3D is a bonus. Maybe grab some DS games I missed as well.

Posted

[/quote]

Sure Ipad is good and all but you can't get 90% of the games you want on there, for example Harvest Moon isn't on ipad but i can get it on 3ds and wii and every other console. Plus if you look at the price between them its cheaper and would be less likely to smash the screen.