PC games sales up 230%. Console game sales down 28%

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,219 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:34

According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's (ATVI) Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/05/could-pc-gaming-make-a-comeback/

Too bad NPD Group only counts the sales from retail stores. Would be interesting to see the figures including digital distribution services like Steam and Origin.

#2 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,634 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:46

The current generation of consoles just simply aren't good enough any more. They were designed for 720p yet most of the AAA can't even hit that, having to sacrifice resolution and texture quality in order to maintain framerates. Meanwhile, PC gaming offers better load times, better quality textures, better image processing (anti-aliasing, etc), better prices, better resolutions (over 4x as many pixels on just single monitor setups), more flexibility (mods, tweaks, etc) and better control interfaces (supports KB+M, as well as console style controllers).

NPD is irrelevant though - it only tracks retail sales. And the only reason the PC has scored well now is because of Diablo III. You'd need to see sales figures for Steam, Origin and Green Man Gaming to get a true picture of things. PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

#3 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,930 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:46

Fantastic to see.

And yeah, would love to see digital sales. I buy everything via digital download now (for PC anyway).

#4 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,783 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:04

I think this is just a spike due to several big pc games doing well and the consoles being quite weak right now. I think it's clear that the gaming industry is starting to prepare for new consoles. Early 2014 or late 2013.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,726 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:20

Woot. Where are the steam sales?!

#6 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,234 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44

The current generation of consoles just simply aren't good enough any more. They were designed for 720p yet most of the AAA can't even hit that, having to sacrifice resolution and texture quality in order to maintain framerates. Meanwhile, PC gaming offers better load times, better quality textures, better image processing (anti-aliasing, etc), better prices, better resolutions (over 4x as many pixels on just single monitor setups), more flexibility (mods, tweaks, etc) and better control interfaces (supports KB+M, as well as console style controllers).

NPD is irrelevant though - it only tracks retail sales. And the only reason the PC has scored well now is because of Diablo III. You'd need to see sales figures for Steam, Origin and Green Man Gaming to get a true picture of things. PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

Yeah, the initial cost of the hardware for PC gaming is far from cheap. Cheaper games rarely make up for it.

Also, multiplayer on PCs is online-only by a large majority. Therefore, unless you have other PC nerd friends to play with online or in a LAN (which is EFFORT compared to simply using 4 wireless controllers on a console) you're stuck to playing on your own or online with people you don't know.

Basically, PCs and consoles both have their good points.

#7 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,486 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:47

% (percentage) is out of 100, so, how can it increase by 230?

#8 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,234 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:48

... really?

#9 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:58

That's simple math. Once you hit the same numbers as last year you get the 100%. The sales this year where way above that of last year, so you get a higher percentage rate.

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,634 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:06

Yeah, the initial cost of the hardware for PC gaming is far from cheap. Cheaper games rarely make up for it.

But if you need a computer for other purposes then it poses much better value.

Also, multiplayer on PCs is online-only by a large majority. Therefore, unless you have other PC nerd friends to play with online or in a LAN (which is EFFORT compared to simply using 4 wireless controllers on a console) you're stuck to playing on your own or online with people you don't know.

It depends on the game. I've been having a blast with DiRT Showdown in splitscreen with a couple of wireless X360 controllers hooked up, outputting to a 42" HDTV at 1080p. Consoles can't even come close that level of visual fidelity. And I play 4-player local PC games like NBA2k11 and Virtua Tennis 4; along with 2-player games like Super Street Fighter IV, Beat Hazard, Shank 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Renegade Ops, etc.

I agree that consoles have many good exclusive titles - and many limit split screen only to the console version - but I just find the step down in visual quality too much. It's like the Halo series - I really love the concept but the graphics are terrible and I hate playing FPS games on console. If they were on PC I'd snap them up in a second. The difference is like stepping down from a X360 to the Wii - sure the Wii has some cool games but it's hard to take seriously.

#11 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

• 4,885 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:27

PC gaming offers a much better experience but is also more costly. You get what you pay for.

On the other hand on consoles you don't have to care about software issues for the most part. I can't remember the last time I had issues playing a game on PS3 - I can remember when I had issues playing a game on a PC though, which would be yesterday.

And then there's always Windows - if you don't use it or don't want to, you're screwed.

#12 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

• 1,215 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:45

Irrelevant. Majority of console gamers don't know what any of these things mean, and don't care. The fall of console game has nothing to do with loosing their sales to the pc. You could run the ps3 and 360 for another 5 years and most console gamers wouldn't complain long as the games are good.

#13 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,612 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:52

you're being facetious surely?

#14 starbearer

starbearer

Neowinian

• 234 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:04

Joke?

If not..a stunning indictment of the British education system.

#15 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:08

lolpiracy........wait what?

PC is the unofficial home of piracy yet sales are up, wonder what the next excuse will be.