Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Reversing a Registry Entry

7 posts in this topic

Posted

So today I installed Notepad++ again as I realized that I have not used it in some time. I remember checking this thread about replacing Notepad. There was a link to this forum post where there were there were a few solutions. The last few times I had used it, I got this batch script called Notepad-to-NotepadPP, but it seems as if that has been abandoned by the developer. I tried doing what the last post recommended, and it did not work very well. So now I have to reverse this registry entry, or simply remove it. I am not exactly sure how to do it. Manually, I was unable to find it. The entry is as follows:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe" /v "Debugger" /t REG_SZ /d "\"%~dp0notepad++.exe\" /z" /f pause

Posted

Running the following in a batch file/command prompt should restore notepad back to normal behavior.

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe"

Posted

If you use System Restore, that would be the easiest way.

Posted

If you use System Restore, that would be the easiest way.

I think that's a bit overkill to reverse one registry entry when it only takes one command to fix.

1 person likes this

Posted

^ Well, it has worked for me, many times. I use it immediately if there is a problem. ;)

Posted

Thanks everyone. :) I must have been far too tired last night, because the registry entry wasn't exactly hiding. It was right in front of my eyes. I simply deleted it, and got things back to normal. :)

Posted

Alternative solutions for removing/restoring Registry stuff modified by a software installation routine:

http://www.martau.com/total-uninstall.php

You can't get a better solution than this....