Wells Fargo to Stage 4 breast cancer patient:

Cindi Davis has been fighting breast cancer for four years, and now her health struggle means she's also fighting to keep herself off the street.

The North Carolina woman and her husband Kirk have been in and out of foreclosure since 2008, according to WCNC-TV, and they say the cost of Cindi?s medical treatment means they can?t afford to pay the high rate the bank is demanding to let them stay in their home.

?They want us to make a house payment of almost $900 a month,? Cindi told the station of their lender, Wells Fargo bank. ?We can afford maybe half that. I pay $1,100 a month in prescription medications.?

The couple says they have tried to work with Wells Fargo, even sending notes from Cindi?s doctors explaining her condition, but haven?t been able to come to a workable solution.

?They?re just going to put us out and it?s like, we are willing to pay what we can pay, but it?s not enough,? Cindi said.

Her cancer is in her lungs, lymph nodes and on her liver and she?s gone through a double mastectomy and multiple chemotherapy treatments, but Cindi has handled her disease like a fighter.

?I have only cried once and it was the day I was diagnosed, and after that I said, ?No. I?m not a quitter. I am going to beat this,?? she said.

?She?s been a trooper through this whole thing. She?s never quit and never stopped,? Kirk told the station. ?She has fought this entire battle.?

When contacted for comment by WCNC, Wells Fargo declined to talk about Davis's specific case but issued the following statement.

"We understand that many of our customers may face challenges beyond their mortgage payment, so we often work with local housing counselors and other non-profits that can help determine if any other assistance may be available,? the bank said.

?It?s important for customers to continue to work with their servicers and advise them of any changes in their situation. In assisting customers we must follow investor guidelines. These guidelines determine the kind and amount of assistance a borrower may receive. We work hard to help our customers maintain homeownership and view foreclosure as a last resort."

Fearing the worst, Cindi and Kirk say they may have to sleep on the street, if the bank won?t grant them any leniency.

?We have a cab on the pick-up,? Cindy told the station. ?We may be moving in there.?

Source

Dont expect mercy from the Banks. The majority are like that :wacko:

I don't think we know enough information about this couple's financial situation to make a judgement here. I wonder if they are making any mortgage payment at all at this time. Seems like they could have found a solution in 4 years, even if it meant moving into an apartment.

Ok, maybe I'm more heartless than some. I feel for them that they can't make their mortgage, but they might have other options available to them. Have they looked into letting the house go (foreclosure/short sale/regular sale) and just renting an apartment? They admit they have some money they can pay (just not the full mortgage amount). A one bedroom apartment makes more sense than their "cab on the pick-up" comment.

I went through a foreclosure, lost the house, moved into an apartment, rebuilt my finances/credit over several years and eventually re-purchased a house. It can be done.

In this case there is nothing Wells Fargo is really doing wrong. Now if they were being evicted from an apartment because they couldn't afford basic rent due to medical bills then it would be more tragic, but people need to let go sometimes and go back to the basics.

• Like 2

Lol I hope they live on the street cause they aren't smart enough to move into a cheap apartment. They should be able to get an apartment for half their payments (at about $450 a month). I live in Arizona and I can't imagine North Carolina being too much more expensive.

They have to get realistic and downsize, instead of crying to the news. People have gone through WAY worse stuff.

If the house is costing too much, why not downgrade? Especially after 4 years they would've known they wouldn't be able to keep up the payments?

Your health comes first. Houses can be replaced, people cannot...

My name is Marsha and I am the one who set this story being told in motion. I know Cindi and Kirk personally. (You can learn more about them here: http://hopeforcindi.blogspot.com). They have tried everything they can to save their home. They are good people who I watched struggle for almost 15 years before finally saving enough to buy their own home.

I'm not sure about North Carolina,but have you ever rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $400? This woman is fighting for her life. She has never had children. She has a two disabled dogs (rescued) and a few cats. Apartments won't let them keep their pets there. Don't say they should give them up, to them that's like saying give your children away to strangers. Cindi and Kirk give and give and give (see website) and it's time their community knows what Wells Fargo is doing. I am hoping that the community will step up and donate to their cause so they can stay in their home. I have been afraid to type these words because I don't want to believe them, but Cindi is dying. She is literally fighting for her life. Why should she give away the pets that give her a little happiness?

She has medical insurance through the state of NC for employees and their co-payments are outrageous! They do not qualify for medicaid. With Kirk's salary and her SS Disability, they make $112 too much.

I understand you don't know them and it's easy to pass judgement, but I just ask you to think about this for a minute. What if it was your sister and brother-in-law? Your uncle and aunt? Mother and Father? I just want Wells Fargo to grow a heart. This is about compassion. It's not about two dead beats living off the system.

Well, I'm rambling....thanks for listening, anyway. God bless you and may you never find yourself in this situation.

To the person who lives in AZ, I'm in Sierra Vista, AZ and a $450 "apartment" will get you a one room in the ghetto where getting shot is more probable than dying from cancer.

What's wrong with you people?

Why do you care enough to come on a tech forum to berate a few geeks for making throw away comments on what is just another new article as far as they are concerned?

My name is Marsha and I am the one who set this story being told in motion. I know Cindi and Kirk personally. (You can learn more about them here: http://hopeforcindi.blogspot.com). They have tried everything they can to save their home. They are good people who I watched struggle for almost 15 years before finally saving enough to buy their own home.

I'm not sure about North Carolina,but have you ever rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $400? This woman is fighting for her life. She has never had children. She has a two disabled dogs (rescued) and a few cats. Apartments won't let them keep their pets there. Don't say they should give them up, to them that's like saying give your children away to strangers. Cindi and Kirk give and give and give (see website) and it's time their community knows what Wells Fargo is doing. I am hoping that the community will step up and donate to their cause so they can stay in their home. I have been afraid to type these words because I don't want to believe them, but Cindi is dying. She is literally fighting for her life. Why should she give away the pets that give her a little happiness?

She has medical insurance through the state of NC for employees and their co-payments are outrageous! They do not qualify for medicaid. With Kirk's salary and her SS Disability, they make $112 too much.

I understand you don't know them and it's easy to pass judgement, but I just ask you to think about this for a minute. What if it was your sister and brother-in-law? Your uncle and aunt? Mother and Father? I just want Wells Fargo to grow a heart. This is about compassion. It's not about two dead beats living off the system.

Well, I'm rambling....thanks for listening, anyway. God bless you and may you never find yourself in this situation.

To the person who lives in AZ, I'm in Sierra Vista, AZ and a $450 "apartment" will get you a one room in the ghetto where getting shot is more probable than dying from cancer.

Nothing wrong with us. First we always question the legitmacy of any situation considering there are many liars out there. Second, its not that we don't feel sorry but what makes your case more special than the other thousands of people dying of cancer/aids/etc..? There's hundreds of cases with people in similar situations. It would be nice for the bank to help but I don't feel they are obligated at all considering the amount of similar cases.

the problem is too many people realize that banks are not charities. It is that simple. Why do they need a 2 bedroom apartment? If it is just the two of them, then all they need is a one bedroom apartment. The part about dogs, well I am a dog lover but it really doesn't help the dog if you cannot even take care of yourself.

Why do you care enough to come on a tech forum to berate a few geeks for making throw away comments on what is just another new article as far as they are concerned?

Well lets see...Last time I checked I had the freedom of speech. Oh, I'm sorry, are you "special" enough for that not to apply to your silly forum? Btw, I live with two geeks. And I wasn't berating anyone. If I was, I'd have called you heartless ********. I simply asked what was wrong with you all? If you don't want negative responses, then don't make comments. Plain and simple.

the problem is too many people realize that banks are not charities. It is that simple. Why do they need a 2 bedroom apartment? If it is just the two of them, then all they need is a one bedroom apartment. The part about dogs, well I am a dog lover but it really doesn't help the dog if you cannot even take care of yourself.

The problem is that alot of people can't see past their own nose to show a little compassion. Karma...

Nothing wrong with us. First we always question the legitmacy of any situation considering there are many liars out there. Second, its not that we don't feel sorry but what makes your case more special than the other thousands of people dying of cancer/aids/etc..? There's hundreds of cases with people in similar situations. It would be nice for the bank to help but I don't feel they are obligated at all considering the amount of similar cases.

Her case is special to me because I know her. I also mentor at-risk children at the local elementary school, sponsor three children overseas, have raised over $5,000 with Sears' Heroes at Home program, to benefit wounded soldiers, must I go on? I will fight for ANYONE who deserves it.

The one dog is a service dog. Cindi can't go anywhere without her. Her last service dog, Spook, (see website i mentioned earlier) saved her life once when she went into anaphylactic shock. The other is blind/deaf. Just one way that Cindi opened her heart to a pet that wasn't wanted. The dog has bonded with them and it would be wrong to split them up.

I say a two bedroom because Cindi also makes quilts from donated material that is used for raffles such as Relay For Life. For the last three years she's made one each year and has raised over $1,000.00. (See website http://hopeforcindi.blogspot.com) Her sewing room is a place where she goes to create and uses that talent to help others. Again, it's called compassion.

Well lets see...Last time I checked I had the freedom of speech. Oh, I'm sorry, are you "special" enough for that not to apply to your silly forum? Btw, I live with two geeks. And I wasn't berating anyone. If I was, I'd have called you heartless ********. I simply asked what was wrong with you all? If you don't want negative responses, then don't make comments. Plain and simple.

Well, you missed my point entirely...

Why are you expending energy on here? By all means go ahead and fight for your friend. We all wish you well, I'm sure.

And why bring the pointless concept of karma into it; Is your friend's battle with cancer due to karma too?

Anyway, surely the US medical system and its exorbitant costs are your enemy?

The bank is a disinterested party in this whole affair.

• Like 3

I fully agree with what you are trying to do here. It is a sad day when someone who is very sick is facing losing something that they have spent many years working on. It also goes to show that the economy has taken a nose dive and that there are far too many regulations and BS stuff such as that. I personally know a single mother who makes $10 too much to be able to qualify for any public assistance (read Foodstamps,medicate, etc) Now should the state make exceptions? Should the US government make exceptions to someone who make $100 too much? That is an issue that can be debated for a long time. I fully sympathize with your friend and really hope that she is able to keep her house, but as someone else pointed out, Wells Fargo simply don't care, most banks don't care what your situation is, all they care about is getting there money back that they loaned you, they really do not give a damn if you have cancer, no legs, no arms, can not work, period. All banks want is there money, now I would hope that a bank might have compassion and try to work with the individual.

Why isn't the medical establishment being seen as the villain here?

because hospitals are incredibly expensive. And do an incredible amount of work for free, the one I work at does $200,000,000 a year.

I'm not disputing that medical care costs money to provide, and I'm no fan of banks.

The point is, as it is the hospital which is taking money away from this woman, why is the bank, which has nothing to do with her illness, being expected to cut her some slack?

Why not ask the hospital to make the payment of medical fees more manageable, or waive them entirely?

I'm not disputing that medical care costs money to provide, and I'm no fan of banks.

The point is, as it is the hospital which is taking money away from this woman, why is the bank, which has nothing to do with her illness, being expected to cut her some slack?

Why not ask the hospital to make the payment of medical fees more manageable, or waive them entirely?

because maybe they can't afford it?

Or why not ask the insurance company to actually *pay for the damn medical bills*?

The truth is that in a situation where you're bleeding to death, there are people who could make a difference and whom are perfectly happy to point fingers at one another about whose fault it is until you're dead. These same people can go home later, have dinner, watch a few sitcoms, and have a good night's sleep. Maybe it isn't wrong that the bank is looking out for itself, and the insurance agency is looking out for itself, and the hospital is looking out for itself, but when you put the whole picture together, it is pretty damn sick.

If Wells Fargo gave handouts to everyone who asked, they would go out of business.

Yeah you know her personally and you feel for her, but you have to be realistic. Wells Fargo is doing nothing wrong and they're also not doing anything "morally" wrong.. they can't just make a handout to one person cause then everyone else would want one.

Quit trying to trash a bank for doing their job.

Now is her situation sad? Yeah it is. People go through rough stuff. There are people even worse off than her.

The bank isn't at fault here, as this couple cannot afford to keep up repayments. It's the medical bills that are causing the problem and the problems with the US medical system are well known.

• Like 1