Android 4.1 Jelly Bean begins rolling out to the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus

So, it came the other day OTA. Here's my thoughts:

+ Speed improvements.

+ New font looks nice.

+ New "Siri" style voice search and task-doer.

+ New style drop down task bar is much nicer.

- Downloaded itself and used over 100Mb of my 500Mb monthly 3G allowance.

- Keyboard now doesn't suggest ? or ! after each word, meaning I have to toggle a button to find it.

~ Installed yet another useless app - Google Play Magazines (can be disabled).

For the voice search thing, I just speak slowly and it works pretty well. Although after asking "will it rain tomorrow", Google tells me it will in London... but I'm not in London. No idea how to change that, not obvious. Also shows the temperature as Fahrenheit, but I work in Centigrade.

You need to have location services enabled to get your location for the weather. Or ask "Will it rain tomorrow in "say city name"

And I dont think OTA updates use your monthly data allowance.

Does anyone think it's worth selling an SII for a Galaxy Nexus? I don't like the SIII.

Absolutely! Galaxy Nexus is much better than GSII.. I had GSII and I bought Nexus.. definitely much better. Screen alone is worth it.

Plus Jelly Bean goodness is awesome!

- Keyboard now doesn't suggest ? or ! after each word, meaning I have to toggle a button to find it.

~ Installed yet another useless app - Google Play Magazines (can be disabled).

For the voice search thing, I just speak slowly and it works pretty well. Although after asking "will it rain tomorrow", Google tells me it will in London... but I'm not in London. No idea how to change that, not obvious. Also shows the temperature as Fahrenheit, but I work in Centigrade.

if you are ok not having prediction there is a settings in the keyboard to disable that http://www.androidcentral.com/jelly-bean-keyboard-get-your-quick-punctuation-keys-back-forums

about celsius/fahrenheit ts a settings in google now.

about location, like other have said turn on gps or search for your location

Google Now

Unless I am thick, can't seem to find "Google Now" anywhere on my phone :/

I see, long press on the home button. I seem to remember deciding not to opt in. I'm not really a fan of things that will track me as I move around (like Foursquare). Then again, I do have the location services box ticked. I might give it a go.

Location Services

Location services, I have the first box ticked - "Google's location service" but the GPS and "Location & Google search" are both un-ticked.

Keyboard

^ Thanks, that was the setting.

• 4 weeks later...

Google Now

Unless I am thick, can't seem to find "Google Now" anywhere on my phone :/

I see, long press on the home button. I seem to remember deciding not to opt in. I'm not really a fan of things that will track me as I move around (like Foursquare). Then again, I do have the location services box ticked. I might give it a go.

Location Services

Location services, I have the first box ticked - "Google's location service" but the GPS and "Location & Google search" are both un-ticked.

Keyboard

^ Thanks, that was the setting.

All 3 of the locations services boxes need to be ticked AFAIK

Eventually. Considering how long it took Samsung to upgrade the S2 to ICS you're in for a wait of several months though.

Official update for the SIII was already leaked for T-Mobile. Also, it has been said that Samsung will be rolling out the update soon.

Reason why ICS took/is taking so long is that its not an easy update to go from GB to ICS as it is from ICS to JB.