Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8
Long story short, i made a wrapper to Windows 7 explorer.exe to run on Windows 8. You can try it now in order to have native Windows 7 desktop experience.
You need to have Windows 8 Release Preview 32-bit
installed. Most likely won't work for other builds.
Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip). It must be 32-bit version (if it's 64-bit, grab files from SysWOW64 dir). You can use Windows 7 files from same language build or en-US build.
Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:
Launch patchex7.exe. It will patch windows 7 explorer.exe. Then choose "7" to set it as default shell in registry, terminate current explorer.exe and log you off.
After log-on you should see Windows 7 desktop.
To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry.
THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS-IS" AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING
- Start menu pin list and MFU list doesn't work. Instead, Start menu always shows "All programs" list.
- Trying to pin app to start menu by drag&drop will pin it to taskbar instead.
- Choosing "Pin to Start" menu item will add item to Start menu All programs list.
- Metro programs won't run.
- Autoplay popups won't show.
- "You have new program to handle this stuff" popups won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.
- Network icon popups don't show since Metro UI isn't started. You can't manage Wi-Fi networks. Use third-party program for that.
- "Choose default program to open this file type" is still Metro UI and works.
No new explorer goodies:
- No language input indicator. Use third-party program for that.
- No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.
- Customize dialog for tray icons don't work. "Customize system icons" works though (Clock->Properties).
- Alt-tab switcher is legacy one (you can replace alttab.dll/.mui in system32 to windows 7 ones to get it to work).
- Start menu all programs sometimes don't show.
- Some debug messages are going in background.