Tony Hawks HD

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 DoDonpachi

DoDonpachi

Neowinian

• 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 21:55

Is anyone looking forward to Tony Hawks HD? It’s actually the first game in the Tony Hawks series I’ve been looking forward to for years. No half-baked story, no weird skate board you have to stand on like with Tony Hawks ride, just pure gameplay.

Might just be me, however I hate games that try and add a story just for the sake of making the game a bit longer, its been done with Tony Hawks for years, same with Sonic.. I love how Sonic went back to its roots with Generations, now Tony Hawks is with this new arcade game.

It would appear split screen play has been dropped in favor of XBLA support, I would have loved both, then again i'm greedy like that.

Read: Tony Hawks HD Review

#2 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,620 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:12

Absolutely. (Y)
In fact I just picked up a 1600 point MS card from Best Buy earlier today and redeemed my code on XBox.com in anticipation of Tuesday.
The original games are easily up there with some of my fondest gaming memories ever, so an HD remake? Absolutely looking forward to it.
And my wife just happens to be going away for the weekend this upcoming weekend, so the plan is plenty of playing it next weekend.

#3 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,700 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:16

Such a great game, glad to see it coming back along with the music and all. Good tracks!

#4 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,253 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:56

Cant remember which Tony Hawk I started playing, but pretty much loved playing them on my original xbox. I'll def pick this up if its reasonable... do we know if its 1600 points?

#5 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,171 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:02

I'll definitely be getting it. I loved the old school THPS games back on the ps1. And this should be basically that, made up to date. Only problem is that i wont have much time to play it this week before the gw2 beta weekend eats all my gaming time this weekend. oh well.

Cant remember which Tony Hawk I started playing, but pretty much loved playing them on my original xbox. I'll def pick this up if its reasonable... do we know if its 1600 points?

I beleive it should be $15, whatever the hell that is in MS's annoying points system(i can never be bothered to remember the conversion).

#6 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

• 688 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:05

same here - def will buy, on pc hopefully at the same time as the two console versions. i wouldn't mind some of the maps from tony 4 too though

#7 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,253 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:22

I'll definitely be getting it. I loved the old school THPS games back on the ps1. And this should be basically that, made up to date. Only problem is that i wont have much time to play it this week before the gw2 beta weekend eats all my gaming time this weekend. oh well.

I beleive it should be $15, whatever the hell that is in MS's annoying points system(i can never be bothered to remember the conversion).

I know its 80 points = 1, so $15x80 = 1200 points.. i think I can do $15.. hopefully the DLC isnt crazy priced (haha..)

#8 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 16,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 21:47

This is a PRIME example of why I wish the D pad on the 360 controller was better then it actually is, as this game must be played with it. It is playable, but not ideal by any means. Probably going to wind up picking it up for the PS3 since the D Pad on the Dualshock is much more responsive. Slowly getting used to it on the 360 controller, but it really is not ideal. I just honestly totally forgot that this game basically needs the D Pad, and is not very precise at all with the analog stick.

#9 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:13

This is a PRIME example of why I wish the D pad on the 360 controller was better then it actually is, as this game must be played with it. It is playable, but not ideal by any means. Probably going to wind up picking it up for the PS3 since the D Pad on the Dualshock is much more responsive. Slowly getting used to it on the 360 controller, but it really is not ideal. I just honestly totally forgot that this game basically needs the D Pad, and is not very precise at all with the analog stick.

I can't remember any worse D pad than the regular 360 controller one.
Seriously, what was MS smoking when designing that POS around such an otherwise PERFECT controller?

Makes me a little sad really, tons of lost potential for a controller that even with that flaw is so "lovable".

@topic:
Excellent, I adored Tony Hawks back when it was all arcade.
I know it was the first Mac game I ever played and I was astounded by how well it performed on a machine that by pure numbers wouldn't have done the same job in Windows.
I was very pleased and play Tony Hawks on N-Gage, iPhone, Xbox 360, PC, PS1 and I bet some other system.

Good times... Speaking of arcade and some earlier mention of Sega (Sonic), any admirers of Crazy Taxi here?
That game is the sh**.
Anyone know how to beef up the Steam version? It's de-branded and misses all the good licensed songs!
(de-branded = Pizza Hut is now "Pizza In" or some crap like that... >_>)

Glassed Silver:mac

#10 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,274 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:35

And this is how bad video gaming has become, people prefer old games to new haha.

Something is wrong here, or maybe they should start making proper games again.

#11 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:44

Good times... Speaking of arcade and some earlier mention of Sega (Sonic), any admirers of Crazy Taxi here?
That game is the sh**.
Anyone know how to beef up the Steam version? It's de-branded and misses all the good licensed songs!
(de-branded = Pizza Hut is now "Pizza In" or some crap like that... >_>)

Glassed Silver:mac

I still have my Dreamcast hooked up for Crazy Taxi (and Virtua Tennis), the remakes have been crap. How am I supposed to drive fast with out Bad Religion?

#12 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,599 posts
  • Phone: HTC One S

Posted 18 July 2012 - 23:06

And this is how bad video gaming has become, people prefer old games to new haha.

Even though it's true, a bit of nostalgia factor is present in the fact that people are all "I can play X, but using brand new tech, this is amazing!"

#13 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 16,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 23:07

@ Glassed. Yep, Crazy Taxi is also a classic. Loved that game as well.

But yeah, really wish the D Pad was better. No point beating a dead horse, but it is taking away from the overall enjoyment slightly, but I am getting used to it actually. Just so damn stiff, and need fluidness for a game like this.

I do not look at it that way at all really, meaning I do not prefer playing it, I just see it is revisiting a game I used to actually love and playing it again with better graphics. I will get back to playing recent games much sooner then later honestly. But for right now, I am enjoying the trip down memory lane, and it is actually somewhat amusing seeing how the game is these days.

#14 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 July 2012 - 23:22

Picked this up earlier today as I've been highly anticipating it.
I love the redesigned old levels, and I'm having a blast. Got Warehouse and School II 100% complete so far.

I have only two complaints. They really should've used the original soundtracks from both games. The new songs are meh, but loving the old songs from the originals. And, c'mon, no Dead Kennedy's 'Police Truck', or Primus' 'Jerry was a racecar driver'? Mannnn..

My other complaint is the controls. It can get frustrating with the Xbox D-pad and/or analog stick. Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the games responsiveness seems very off, there is some milliseconds of lag between when I hit ollie, or try to kickflip, etc. It has taken some getting used to, and is a pain. And wallrides could have definitely used more work. Trying to get those bells in School II was a PITA!

Overall though, it is a fun bit of nostalgia, and a good $15 spent in my book. Looking at some of the achievements, and one being
Manual Master 20 Posted Image
Performed 15 manuals in one combo in School II with Rodney Mullen
Should be fun!

#15 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,274 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 23:40

Even though it's true, a bit of nostalgia factor is present in the fact that people are all "I can play X, but using brand new tech, this is amazing!"

I do not look at it that way at all really, meaning I do not prefer playing it, I just see it is revisiting a game I used to actually love and playing it again with better graphics. I will get back to playing recent games much sooner then later honestly. But for right now, I am enjoying the trip down memory lane, and it is actually somewhat amusing seeing how the game is these days.

Sorry it was just something that made me laugh because Doom 3 is coming out again and I'm totally looking forward to it despite playing it and completing it years ago.
I'm not sure if it's myself only, but due to the track record of games playability these days I find myself looking forward to older titles being re-released.

I'm tempted to pick TH up as everyone else, it was a good game back then with great music and good courses / parks. Funny thing is I'm not a huge skateboarding person, but the game was good!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!