• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,201 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 July 2012 - 00:27

Picked this up earlier today as I've been highly anticipating it.
I love the redesigned old levels, and I'm having a blast. Got Warehouse and School II 100% complete so far.

I have only two complaints. They really should've used the original soundtracks from both games. The new songs are meh, but loving the old songs from the originals. And, c'mon, no Dead Kennedy's 'Police Truck', or Primus' 'Jerry was a racecar driver'? Mannnn..

My other complaint is the controls. It can get frustrating with the Xbox D-pad and/or analog stick. Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the games responsiveness seems very off, there is some milliseconds of lag between when I hit ollie, or try to kickflip, etc. It has taken some getting used to, and is a pain. And wallrides could have definitely used more work. Trying to get those bells in School II was a PITA!

Overall though, it is a fun bit of nostalgia, and a good $15 spent in my book. Looking at some of the achievements, and one being
Manual Master 20 Posted Image
Performed 15 manuals in one combo in School II with Rodney Mullen
Should be fun!

I thought the lag was just the D Pad sucking, but yeah, it is there for sure. It is only slight as you said, but it is there.
And yeah, those damn wall rides on the school level were indeed a huge pain in the ass. Finally did them though. I just need to secret DVD and I will have 100% the school level as well. Well also the sick score, but I will get that no problem. I do all the goals first, then the score, as that is the easy part out of each level so far.
Also it would have been really great if they could have kept the old soundtrack, definitely.

Sorry it was just something that made me laugh because Doom 3 is coming out again and I'm totally looking forward to it despite playing it and completing it years ago.
I'm not sure if it's myself only, but due to the track record of games playability these days I find myself looking forward to older titles being re-released.

I'm tempted to pick TH up as everyone else, it was a good game back then with great music and good courses / parks. Funny thing is I'm not a huge skateboarding person, but the game was good!

No need at all to say sorry, was just chiming in on why I do not mind it. I will be picking up Doom 3 as well, so maybe I am a sucker for these old games after-all. :laugh:

#17 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,763 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:23

Is it wrong that i want to pick this game up solely for Goldfinger - Superman?
When i used to play the original, when that song started i knew i was going to blitz the stage.

It is weird how many people talk about the soundtrack. When it is just licenced material. I'm not complaining because i'm one of those people.

#18 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:32

When i used to play the original, when that song started i knew i was going to blitz the stage.

It is weird how many people talk about the soundtrack. When it is just licenced material. I'm not complaining because i'm one of those people.

Haha, I'm feeling you.

I guess Crazy Taxi gamers feel this symptom the most / most common.

The Steam version just does not cut it AT ALL whatsoever.
It's like an entirely different game and surely my performance lowers the less happy I am about the soundtrack, which is weird, but true.

I think if you striped GTA2 from its so darn funny radio stations and inserted random music only, lacking the witty hosts, then I'm sure that would be apparent there, too.

It's crazy but true, soundtracks are DAMN important.
Right, Tetris? ;) :laugh:

Glassed Silver:mac

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:43

It's crazy but true, soundtracks are DAMN important.
Right, Tetris? ;) :laugh:

Great, now I have the Tetris song stuck in my head. :wacko:

I do think the "play whatever music you want from your hard drive" mentality killed good soundtracks in games.

#20 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 July 2012 - 15:15

So, I couldn't help myself and stayed up until around 1:30AM last night playing.
I completed the entire career 100% with Andrew Reynolds. After awhile, you get used to the lag in the controls and all. One thing I never got used to was the sheer speed when you have all your stats maxed. You get going ridiculously fast, and it's hard to stop or get a goal done. Downhill Jam was the biggest pain for me all around (and one level I definitely never missed.) I tried a bit of Hawkman and Big Head Survival. They are OK, but I wasn't really a big fan. I may try and go for a few achievements tonight. I miss the miniature skate videos you used to get when you beat the game. After I beat it, I was like... "Where's my skate video?!" :p

I was letdown they didn't have the Philadelphia level from THPS2. =/
But I love that they are adding the Airport from THPS3. That was my favorite level in THPS3!

I thought the lag was just the D Pad sucking, but yeah, it is there for sure. It is only slight as you said, but it is there.
And yeah, those damn wall rides on the school level were indeed a huge pain in the ass. Finally did them though. I just need to secret DVD and I will have 100% the school level as well. Well also the sick score, but I will get that no problem. I do all the goals first, then the score, as that is the easy part out of each level so far.
Also it would have been really great if they could have kept the old soundtrack, definitely.

I do it opposite. I always knock out the score first. It's the one thing I know I can do pretty quickly and easily (except on Downhill Jam). :p
One thing I didn't find out until Marseille (the last level) is that if you hit Start/Pause, then hit RB, it brings up the map and has the location of all the goals/objects/items right there. I remembered where most of them were all these years, but some I needed a heads up on, especially Marseille considering that used to be a competition level back in THPS2.

That is one song I could do without, lol. I never understood why so many people liked it. Just not my type of music, I guess.

I think I may rebuild the original playlist tonight to play to.

#21 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 17,201 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:38

Currently on Venice Beach, almost done with all of the major goals. I have however been able to get all of the cash on any of the levels thus far, as I really only tried to get the cash that was obvious on all the maps. I will go back to recollect the cash on those levels with the help of the in game map.

I also wish you can undo stat decisions, but it appears that you cannot. I upgraded some of the stats of my character, and wish I could take them back. ****** moves way to quick now for my liking. Buy overall I am truly enjoying the hell out of the game itself. Has been a truly nostalgic and very memorable trip down memory lane. In fact, going to go play a little right now. Fun ass game overall.

#22 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,720 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:42

I can't seem to figure this one out, how do you get to the secret DVD on School II?

#23 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 17,201 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:16

I can't seem to figure this one out, how do you get to the secret DVD on School II?

Yeah, this was actually the hardest one so far for myself as well.
That courtyard to the far right at the start of the level has a half pipe in the center of the yard right? Exact opposite side of that is a small little ramp that with enough speed will launch you up to the roof.
What I did was at the start of the level, turn around and go left and get a lot of speed in what is basically that little half pipe, go 2 or 3 times in it, speed down the one sidewalk with a grind, basically go up to the platform make a u turn towards the half pipe do a big air then go towards the little ramp with a ton of speed, and you basically have to do a boneless as well.

#24 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,720 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:28

Yeah, this was actually the hardest one so far for myself as well.
That courtyard to the far right at the start of the level has a half pipe in the center of the yard right? Exact opposite side of that is a small little ramp that with enough speed will launch you up to the roof.
What I did was at the start of the level, turn around and go left and get a lot of speed in what is basically that little half pipe, go 2 or 3 times in it, speed down the one sidewalk with a grind, basically go up to the platform make a u turn towards the half pipe do a big air then go towards the little ramp with a ton of speed, and you basically have to do a boneless as well.

For the uneducated (me) what's a boneless :p thanks!

#25 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 17,201 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:37

Press up twice then ollie. (Y)
Also I believe pressing up once and doing an ollie will do a no comply.

Also, not sure if you encountered any of the levels yet where you get a Big Drop message, but when you do, you have to hold down A to land, or else you always crash. That drove me absolutely nuts for a long time.

Finally let me share this guys videos on YouTube.
Breaks down every goal for every level on this new remastered HD version. Has helped me do the harder goals on the later levels.
I just linked to Downhill Jam, but you can find every level in his history. I have only had to use the videos twice now, both for Secret DVDs on the later levels. Even with him showing exactly how to get the one in Downhill Jam, have yet to get it, as it is a damn hard path getting to it.

#26 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• 3,026 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:22

The dvd on school II is easy to get <,<

#27 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,463 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03

Pretty sucky I have to wait for this on PSN, but that be the way it is!

Goldfinger - Superman and Millencolin - No Cigar :wub:

#28 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,188 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:44

Gief PC version.

#29 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

• 17,201 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:10

Finally completed all of the goals in Career Mode, unlocked Officer Dick, time to move on to the Projective Goals, which definitely seem to be a good challenge.
Funny enough it was the Sick Score goals that had me hung up in the career mode. I got obsessed with landing the perfect combo to knock out each sick score in one fell swoop. Once I just accepted the fact that was not the smartest approach, and all I needed was a few good combos instead of one sick one, knocked them out fairly quickly. Now I see in Projective Mode each level has a "get This amount combo" so I guess I had good practice for those. :laugh:

I am looking forward to DLC for this game definitely. Hoping some more levels make their way back to the game.

I am not the biggest fan of these remakes, but this is definitely one I am glad they went ahead and did. Good trip down memory lane for sure. So much so it almost erases the fact the last couple of games in the series have been awful. Key word being almost. :rofl:

#30 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• 3,026 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:01

Is this gonna get released for the PSV?