After release from prison, sex offender arrested again

SOUTH SALT LAKE ? A registered sex offender, who was released from the Utah State Prison just two months ago after serving a 10-year sentence, has been arrested again for investigation of sex-related charges.

Henry Kenneth Mayfield, 45, was arrested over the weekend after police say witnesses spotted him exposing himself on at least three different occasions at a local park.

Mayfield was convicted of sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony, in 1992. In exchange for his guilty plea, an additional charge of rape of a child, a first- degree felony, was dismissed, according to Utah court records.

He first arrived at the Utah State Prison in September 1992. Mayfield was paroled in September 1998 but returned to prison in May 1999 on a parole violation, according to Utah Department of Corrections officials. He was released in May 2012 after serving his entire sentence.

During three separate incidents, starting June 14 and ending Saturday, witnesses reported Mayfield at Fitts Park, 3050 S. 500 East, exposing himself with children in the area and committing a lewd act, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.

On June 14, a man reported to police that his sons, ages 9 and 2, could see the man, according to the jail report. Another child told his father on July 1 that he witnessed a man exposing himself, the report states. Again on Saturday, the man was spotted by witnesses. Officers responded and caught him before he left, according to the report.

When questioned, Mayfield claimed he was urinating, the report states.

source

People's sexual drives don't change. Once someone feels sexual proclivities towards children the chances are they always will.

• Like 1

I'm a believer that people's sentences should reflect the danger they pose to society. Sexual predators pose a serious danger, they should be kept away from the public in my opinion.

This guy.. I don't know what to say.. He goes to jail, fails to obey the law while on probation, goes back to jail only to get out and still be an asshat.

I'm a believer that people's sentences should reflect the danger they pose to society. Sexual predators pose a serious danger, they should be kept away from the public in my opinion.

Although I detest sexual predators, be very careful about the slippery slope with that.

Who defines what it means to be a "danger to society"?

That could be used to describe someone like Aung San Suu Kyi who was/is opposed to the established government in Myanmar.

Although I detest sexual predators, be very careful about the slippery slope with that.

That could be used to describe someone like Aung San Suu Kyi who was/is opposed to the established government in Myanmar.

By that I mean people that actually present a danger to society in terms of actually causing criminal harm to people like murderers and rapists.

He probably wasn't a danger.

He appears to have just wanted to masturbate in public.

He may have gotten tired of it, shortly.

But who knows.

By that I mean people that actually present a danger to society in terms of actually causing criminal harm to people like murderers and rapists.

Playing devil's advocate: Are you saying that someone's potential for doing harm to society once they are out of prison and served their sentence should play a part in how long a prison sentence they get?

That is how the criminal justice system is set up as regards violent crimes, except for locales where leniency is considered primary. I think that's stupid because most all of these folks are predatory sociopaths.

Playing devil's advocate: Are you saying that someone's potential for doing harm to society once they are out of prison and served their sentence should play a part in how long a prison sentence they get?

Of course it should. A person shouldn't be released from prison if they're likely to rape or murder another human being. I'm not saying people should be given life terms for non violent crime, and maybe lesser violent crimes like assaults but dangerous criminals should be kept away from society for people's protection. If a person is likely to reoffend why should they be released?