16 posts in this topic

Posted

New York (CNN) - Imagine wallpaper that does work for you and for your electronics. Wallpaper that doesn

Posted

Just what I always suggested for electrosensitivity or securing your Wi-Fi, confine yourself in a giant Faraday cage.

And the only thing better than a giant Faraday cage is a pretty, snowflake-adorned giant Faraday cage! (Y)

1 person likes this

Posted

A simple password and only allowing registered devices to connect to the router achieves the same thing. It's also a whole lot cheaper than remodeling your entire house with new wallpaper.

Posted

Buildings also tend to have windows. Do you need to cover those up with wallpaper too?

Posted

A simple password and only allowing registered devices to connect to the router achieves the same thing. It's also a whole lot cheaper than remodeling your entire house with new wallpaper.

WPA2 + disabling WPS + MAC filter + VPN (for the paranoids) = best you can have on regular hardware. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Posted

WPA2 + disabling WPS + MAC filter + VPN (for the paranoids) = best you can have on regular hardware. :)

Where is the VPN going to be run? (And the MAC Filter is useless if you have WPA2)

Posted

(And the MAC Filter is useless if you have WPA2)

Honest question here, why is that?

Posted

Buildings also tend to have windows. Do you need to cover those up with wallpaper too?

Yea and do you only paper one side of each room with it too ? I kinda like my wifi being able to go through some walls

Posted

I won't make fun of this, but so you know anything can spoof a MAC address. MAC filtering is about as useful as wrapping your router in toilet paper to add another layer of protection.

http://www.techrepub...mac-address/395

Posted

Perhaps hide the SSID?

Posted

Edit: ^ You can't actually hide the SSID, you need it to connect to the network (i.e. the computer uses the SSID to generate keys, etc.). The "Hide SSID" setting on your router just sets a flag on your connection to hide it in the GUI, somebody trying to break into your network will just ignore that flag.

Honest question here, why is that?

You can set the MAC address on the connecting computer to anything you want, while the password is managed by the actual router and can't be faked (And using WPA2 has other benefits, like giving each computer their own secure connection to the router, no eavesdropping on other computers).

To compare it to a door lock, MAC filtering is as good as a bit of sticky tape over the key hole, you still need the key to get in, etc.

Posted

Perhaps hide the SSID?

this is also a misnomer. This does nothing to protect you as your client (the one you use to connect to the wireless) sends the name out when you connect in plain text (this is not encrypted nor can it be with today's means), if someone is scanning the air looking for networks they can easily grab it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=28653

Posted

MAC filtering and hiding SSID will do nothing to stop anyone with half a clue on hacking

Posted

MAC filtering and hiding SSID will do nothing to stop anyone with half a clue on hacking

or anyone that can use google and be able to search youtube.

Posted

or anyone that can use google and be able to search youtube.

yea exactly the way I learned the small amount I know

That, and Security Now on twit :p