You need to have Windows 8 Release Preview (32-bit or 64-bit) installed. It should work in Server 2012 RC too.
Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip).
It must be same bitness and same language (or en-US) version. You can use Server 2008 R2 too.
Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:
Launch patchex7.exe. It will patch windows 7 explorer.exe. Then choose "7" to set it as default shell in registry, terminate current explorer.exe and log you off.
After log-on you should see Windows 7 desktop.
To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry. Do this if you're upgrading patcher too.
THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS-IS" AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING
- Start menu pin list and MFU list doesn't work. Instead, Start menu always shows "All programs" list.
- Trying to pin app to start menu by drag&drop will pin it to taskbar instead.
- Choosing "Pin to Start" menu item will add item to Start menu All programs list.
- Metro programs won't run.
- Autoplay popups won't show.
- "You have new program to handle this stuff" popups won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.
- Network icon popups don't show since Metro UI isn't started.
- You can't manage Wi-Fi networks. Use third-party program for that.
- You can't manage VPN/dialup connections. Run rasphone for that.
- You can't add new user. Run control userpasswords2 for that.
- "Choose default program to open this file type" is still Metro UI and works.
No new explorer goodies:
- No language input indicator. Use third-party program for that.
- No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.
Beta 1 issues:
- Alt-tab switcher is legacy one (you can replace alttab.dll/.mui in system32 to windows 7 ones to get it to work).
- Some debug messages are going in background.
It also works in other languages, a PCBeta member had it worked in a Localized Chinese Edition:
.........Hope Mr. Brandon Live is not seeing these, he could get a heart attack.