Techy moves to woods over Wi-fi technology allergy

Mr Inkley suffers symptoms including nosebleeds, blackouts and crippling headaches when he goes near mobile phones, computers, TVs or even batteries.

The former computer technician, who has now taken up work as a self-employed gardener, claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity which has left him unable to lead a normal life.

'I've become so sensitised to pulsed microwaves that it's pretty much ruined my life and I'm literally having to live hand-to-mouth,' revealed the Hampshire resident.

'I was so ill at one point that I believe living in the woods saved my life.

'It was the only way I could get some sleep and control the excruciating pain.

'I've lost my social life, love life and much work because I'm always ill and can only handle being in remote areas with little radiation so because of this, money is tight.'

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is officially recognised in Sweden as a ?functional impairment? and a recent EU draft resolution recommends its adoption in all EU countries.

However, it is not medically recognised as a condition in Britain due to a lack of evidence - something which Somerset-based GP Andrew Tresidder believes needs to change.

'Unfortunately the government bodies at present consider that the issue is psychological,' explained Dr Tresidder, trustee of electrosensitivity charity ES-UK.

'There is considerable scientific research that shows adverse effects of electromagnetic fields on biological systems, including humans.

'In five years' time we may look back and realise a major public health disaster has been happening under our noses.'

source

Batteries ?

I agree it is probably psychological, can't see how a battery would do that to someone unless it was wrapped in a sock and battered off the side of his head

• Like 2

Might be somewhat psychological, but... the cells in our bodies do communicate electromagnetically. Just like people can develop sensitivities/allergies to foods or pollen or whatever over time, I'm prepared to believe this can happen. Can you imagine, though? Getting sicker and sicker and nobody could figure out what was going on, and then you realised the technology you work with and love dealing with is the cause? O_o That would really suck.

I think it would be fairly easy to proof if this is actually a physical reaction with a blind study. Have people who are supposedly sensitive to em fields sit in a room and introduce such a field into the room at random intervals without telling the subjects when and for how long. Then see if their reactions match up with the emitters.

I can't imagine being allergic to em fields though. What a boring, archaic life that must be.

Maybe he should wear some sort of clothing that blocks positive ions. There's got to be something out there that would help him.

He might look weird, but it's better than living in the woods.

It all sounds strange, but I'm sure he's not BSing. Probably just a mis-communication about the batteries since that doesn't make sense.

Might be somewhat psychological, but... the cells in our bodies do communicate electromagnetically. Just like people can develop sensitivities/allergies to foods or pollen or whatever over time, I'm prepared to believe this can happen. Can you imagine, though? Getting sicker and sicker and nobody could figure out what was going on, and then you realised the technology you work with and love dealing with is the cause? O_o That would really suck.

I would just make a lead lined full body suit, nothing would stop me get to my tech :p

I think it would be fairly easy to proof if this is actually a physical reaction with a blind study. Have people who are supposedly sensitive to em fields sit in a room and introduce such a field into the room at random intervals without telling the subjects when and for how long. Then see if their reactions match up with the emitters.

I can't imagine being allergic to em fields though. What a boring, archaic life that must be.

This has been done in that one city that is "em free" because of folks who are "em sensitive".

Scientists tried it one day without their knowledge and no one reported any effect.

This has been done in that one city that is "em free" because of folks who are "em sensitive".

Scientists tried it one day without their knowledge and no one reported any effect.

To be fair, I wouldn't report anything if I randomly got a headache or felt sick one day. Most people would chalk that up to something they ate, or whatever... I think these cases are generally identified after it becomes chronic...? Just pointing out that one time, one day isn't really enough to provide a definitive answer either way.

Haha, my dad used to tell me that he thought their wifi router gave him headaches when it was sitting on the table next to the monitor, so he moved it across the room.

I told him that sucks since similar radio frequencies have been blanketing the entire country as long as he's been alive.

To be fair, I wouldn't report anything if I randomly got a headache or felt sick one day. Most people would chalk that up to something they ate, or whatever... I think these cases are generally identified after it becomes chronic...? Just pointing out that one time, one day isn't really enough to provide a definitive answer either way.

And what about the studies done where people are told that there are EM emissions in the room, they then report symptoms. Yet in reality there are no emissions? Its all in the mind or it is symptoms of another illness.

Yep every VALID study on this has shown that it's not real and all in the fool's minds

Haha, my dad used to tell me that he thought their wifi router gave him headaches when it was sitting on the table next to the monitor, so he moved it across the room.

I told him that sucks since similar radio frequencies have been blanketing the entire country as long as he's been alive.

I was getting headaches while on my sister's office with two routers behind the monitor. I first noticed the headaches every time I was there, so then I found the two routers there.

It may turn psychological only if you felt it before, because of the real deal.

You shouldn't debunk this as a myth only because you guys don't feel it... Studies have shown that Wifi affects trees.. why not us?

http://www.dailymail...-radiation.html

Yeah... like, ionizing radiation doesn't exist because, ya know... we can't see or feel it, right?

Yeah, I didn't say I necessarily believed all the stories or that everybody who claims to be affected really is... but I think it could affect some people. Even if "sensitivity to EM" is just a symptom of some other underlying disease. Weirder things have happened... and any time something new is discovered to be dangerous, it's always dismissed as "crazy" by the masses until years and years later. So, I'm just saying, I'm not going to be shocked if this does turn out to be a real thing.

I was getting headaches while on my sister's office with two routers behind the monitor. I first noticed the headaches every time I was there, so then I found the two routers there.

It may turn psychological only if you felt it before, because of the real deal.

You shouldn't debunk this as a myth only because you guys don't feel it... Studies have shown that Wifi affects trees.. why not us?

http://www.dailymail...-radiation.html

Yeah... like, ionizing radiation doesn't exist because, ya know... we can't see or feel it, right?

You do know that using the Daily Mail to back up your point is worse than providing no link at all right?

They are well known for either making up stuff, exaggerating things, reporting pretty much everything causes cancer etc etc. Not somewhere to rely on for things like this.

You do know that using the Daily Mail to back up your point is worse than providing no link at all right?

They are well known for either making up stuff, exaggerating things, reporting pretty much everything causes cancer etc etc. Not somewhere to rely on for things like this.

Actually I don't want to disappoint but... life kills. Many, many things DO cause cancer... Even the pure oxygen you breathe causes cancer by oxidizing cells. So it all depends on how you deal with that. I don't use Wifi so close because I do get headaches... also I don't use the cellphone for too long because it gets too hot and I get headaches too. If you don't, than good for you... or bad for you, because you're maybe being harmed and you don't even know that. :)