70 posts in this topic

Posted

[img]http://www.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/postimages/4213/xbox_0.png[/img]

Microsoft has announced open enrollment for their 2012 (fall) Xbox LIVE update for the Xbox 360 console.

The new features for this update we revealed at [url="http://www.wpcentral.com/tags/e3-2012"]E3 back in June[/url] are the ones coming for this update so getting a sneak peek is always a blast. Some of those new features for this preview include:

Internet Explorer for Xbox
Personalized dashboard recommendations
Enhanced category search and discovery features

Enrollment is limited meaning first come, first serve so head over and fill out the form. Of course this is a beta, so know the risks ahead.

[url="http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-360-live-beta-enrollment-now-open-2012-fall-update"]http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-360-live-beta-enrollment-now-open-2012-fall-update[/url]

Posted

Already "jumped in" earlier today :)

Posted

signed up, cant tell if I am actually "in" or just signed up to maybe get in

Posted

Just enrolled myself. Looking forward to the update :)

Posted

Nothing better than breaking things for the purpose of learning :) signed up.

Posted

Managed to get in, will I still be able to play games on Xbox Live and chat to friends? Or will I effectively be cut off from people on the old dashboard?

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1343326195' post='595036637']
Managed to get in, will I still be able to play games on Xbox Live and chat to friends? Or will I effectively be cut off from people on the old dashboard?
[/quote]

I've been in every beta for the 360 and It's never broken usability in those areas.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Touchadowns' timestamp='1343326439' post='595036645']
I've been in every beta for the 360 and It's never broken usability in those areas.
[/quote]
Only once did it break party chat. But that was because the new dash had a new audio codec.

Posted

Did the thing, im so glad they no longer need the Xbox Serial #, means i dont have to wait multiple hours to sign up, IF i remember at that time

Posted

I guess the private forum for this isn't up yet because the link they give doesn't seem to work for me.

Posted

The link on major nelson's site isn't working for me either. It says it's not accepting nominations at this time.

Posted

Apparently not accepting anyone new. Too bad. I wonder if IE will work for Silver members.

Posted

Scratch that. I just got into the beta (or at least the web page says I'm in). Not sure if the update is rolling out now, or if it's coming later. Guess we'll see.

Posted

Everyone gets "accepted" after doing the survey, later they go through the entries and based on what they are looking to test (media streaming, etc) they choose users to actually take part in the beta. Those users are then required to supply their Xbox serial number, then at some point later they are prompted to update.

Unless they are doing this like the NXE beta, where everyone that registered got in - but they needed a large sample then for such a fundamental GUI overhaul. I don't think this time the sample size needs to be as big.

Posted

Damn, already missed out. That sucks! I'd love to test IE for Xbox.

Posted

Nothing exciting catches the eye, so I'll sit this one out like last years and just wait for the official release in fall.

Posted

I got my sign in code today, so I'm officially in. Last thing you'll see me post about it as well. :)

Posted

Yeah I got the pre-release app today, says it takes 1-2 days to be fully registered and for the update to become available, my lips are now sealed :p

Posted

did you have to do all three steps to access the beta?

I've got the email but i'm not sure if i need to do all three steps.

Posted

Yeah, got the email so I followed the link back to the portal and clicked on the link that allows you to register your console, got the registration code went on my xbox and put it into the redeem code bit. That let me download the app and then once I opened the app I just had to agree to the terms and conditions and that was it :)

Posted

Cool, cheers mate. I'll get right on that.

Posted

Anyone else received the update yet? I got it about an hour ago.

Posted

I use to join all those things, but not anymore. The reality is that more than likely, the beta will only last about 5 to 7 days before GA.

Posted

I got the XBL code to get the app, but since I'm at work, I can't use it yet obviously lol. Will put it in when I get home and see what happens, but I should be in.

Posted

[quote name='IceBreakerG' timestamp='1343415958' post='595039639']
I got the XBL code to get the app, but since I'm at work, I can't use it yet obviously lol. Will put it in when I get home and see what happens, but I should be in.
[/quote]
You can still redeem it at xbox.com and add it to download queue :p That's what I did, much easier to just copy and paste.