apple

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,863 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:29

Apple's OS X Mountain Lion launched on Wednesday, and with it came a new set of rules laid out by Apple that restrict what Mac developers can do with their apps. To sum it up, in order to take advantage of new features like iCloud and Notification Center, developers must "sandbox" their app — which limits its access to system data, almost like how apps work on iOS. Sandboxed apps are much easier for Apple to verify, check, and approve for the Mac App store, since they are inherently self-contained, but this poses a big problem: sandboxing your app sometimes means that features that dig deep into OS X must be removed. Developers lashed out at Apple for its new rules when Mountain Lion was announced back in February, in part because of how much effort might go into re-architecting their apps. Tech pundit Andy Ihnatko wrote, "Time, money, and resources that developers could be investing in making a great product even better must instead be spent just to keep their software working."

However, most developers have taken the past few months to update their apps according to Apple's new standards — which for some developers means checking a few boxes, and for others means sacrificing features users love. Since Mountain Lion was announced, many top apps like Fantastical, Sparrow, and 1Password have prepared for a Mac world that looks more like iOS's perceived "walled garden." For better or for worse, most developers seem to agree that adding support for Mountain Lion seems to be a do or die.

"Any developer who wants to build for Apple's products typically stays as on pace with the curve as possible, because that's what a significant portion of Apple's customers do," says 1Password's David Chartier. Developers now have two choices: sell unrestricted apps independent of the Mac App Store, or abide by Apple's rules to gain access to the App Store, its enormous distribution power, and new features in OS X like iCloud document syncing for apps and iOS-style push notifications from the cloud in Notification Center.

More in source....

http://www.theverge....n-mountain-lion

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:46

This is eventually going to lead to the death of the open operating system environment..... you know others will start to adopt closed OS's to cash in at some point and then go full blown closed gate model

#3 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:50

We really are heading down a horrible road here, Windows and OS X are becoming more and more locked down :/

#4 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:51

We really are heading down a horrible road here, Microsoft and OS X are becoming more and more locked down :/

yeah a horrible road where if you want to make money writing software you have to pony up a good percentage of your profit to the OS maker ugh....

#5 deanrock

deanrock

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:15

...and you also have access to only small number of APIs and you are very limited with what your app can do.

#6 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:28

Why not go completely open. I mean android does it and it has no viruses at all.

#7 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,300 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:40

Why not go completely open. I mean android does it and it has no viruses at all.

Because as long as Apple, and Microsoft control the PC and OS markets it's their way or no way. . . :rolleyes:

#8 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,879 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:41

It's a tradeoff.

Not talking about Android specifically here, but I'd rather take some reasonable security measures that don't get in my way and allow me to do whatever the heck I want (even if that means having a certain degree of responsability on keeping my system safe) over being babysitted and getting my computer turned into a blackbox appliance, which is where computing seems to be heading.

YMMV.

#9 deanrock

deanrock

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:44

I'm afraid that only system, that won't get in your way is Linux. OS X is half way to the iOS path (total lockdown), and Windows is trying to get there with Metro app store.

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,163 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:46

Wait. No viruses? Try again....

#11 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:49

I don't quite understand why they made the sandbox so strict. Many applications won't qualify for the AppStore anymore

Wait. No viruses? Try again....

I think he was being sarcastic

#12 deanrock

deanrock

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 21:51

Well, take a look at Linux. It has less viruses than Mac, and it's completely open.

On the other hand Mac is completely open regarding what you install, and I have seen only a small number of malware for it.

#13 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• 450 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 27 July 2012 - 23:13

The (IBM) PC platform has been built on the premises of an open architecture, that's the reason that brought the industry to where it is now. These *******s (Microsoft, Apple, Google or whatever), with their "walled garden" and "app store" bullpoop, are just marching in the completely opposed direction - ie no open architecture, no industry that thrives and evolves.

They really disgust me, and they will NEVER have me. I have purchased a single "app" in my life (a GPS navigator on Windows Phone), I won't do the same mistake another time.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,885 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 23:27

This is eventually going to lead to the death of the open operating system environment..... you know others will start to adopt closed OS's to cash in at some point and then go full blown closed gate model

Disappointingly true. It looks as if those that want a truly open computing experience may have to look into Linux in the future, it's clear Microsoft and Apple are both intent on pushing people towards being walled into their app stores.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:07

It's all about control and being greedy. I feel the computer experience is going to be a whole lot less fun in the future.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!