Row after NBC drop opening ceremony '7/7 tribute'

Actually Meredith Vieira basically said his name, then something to the effect of "You probably dont know who Tim Berners-Lee is, but thats ok, neither do I!" Ridiculous...

I think the guy [can't remember his name] said he invented the world wide web. Then she said that.

It's pretty accurate that most people don't know who Tim Berners-Lee is. That's not ridiculous at all. That's just life. Most people don't know who Vint Cerf, or John von Neumann, or Alan Turing, or Noam Chomsky, or Donald Knuth, or Linus Torvalds are.

I personally have no issue with them not showing the 7/7 coverage. I have issue with the hypocrassy of them choosing to not show it but am quite sure that come 11/9 they will shove that all over their broadcasting as per usual!

What? NBC choose to not show the whole of the Olympic Openings from London so it is the fault of all the idoits that call themselves Americans. . .oh BooHoo. . .cry me a river. Boy I can really tell you if is hard being a self-center American it is a full days work. Well back to the mountains where I can practice being a self-centered indiviual. . . :rofl:

What? NBC choose to not show the whole of the Olympic Openings from London so it is the fault of all the idoits that call themselves Americans. . .oh BooHoo. . .cry me a river. Boy I can really tell you if is hard being a self-center American it is a full days work. Well back to the mountains where I can practice being a self-centered indiviual. . . :rofl:

Reminds me of the attitudes that made me leave Boise for Seattle recently.

Internet forums at their best. Because of the actions of a single corporation an entire nation is labelled in the same basket with them. Considering there are a lot of Americans who have complained is enough to tell me that not everyone are sheep?s and follow what they see in the media.

To be honest, it doesn?t surprise me if people do get defensive when criticised by people who know nothing about them or their culture. It comes across as a personal attack so why not defend yourself against it?

Unfortunately I see this thread going the same way as any that mentions guns.

Y'know... It's know a small number of people who are tarring all Americans with the same brush. Most of us are just blaming the douche bags at NBC...

So really, you're guilty of generalising too.

I'm not fussed that the content was shown or not - What is annoying is that they made a ****ty excuse as to why and not say (We don't really care to see it and don't think our citizens do either) which obviously is wrong.

Reminds me of the attitudes that made me leave Boise for Seattle recently.

Wrong. Don't live in Boise, too much like Seattle. I prefer the mountains up in the Sawtooths.

Failed to identify people like Tim Berners-Lee? Did you watch the broadcast? They called him out by name at least twice and even pointed out that he invented the world wide web. What more do you want?

Not according to this. Not living in the US I obviously didn't see it myself but it was widely reported online, so there was no reason for me to doubt such coverage.