Photo

Will Windows 8 have an option to customize colors?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Defcon

Defcon

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:08

The 'Advanced' option is gone from the Personilization menu. So now its just a sea of white everywhere, you can't even change the background color of a window. Or am I missing something?

#2 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:21

The 'Advanced' option is gone from the Personilization menu. So now its just a sea of white everywhere, you can't even change the background color of a window. Or am I missing something?

What do you want to change? The window frame color? Or the actual background of a window?

#3 OP Defcon

Defcon

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:56

What do you want to change? The window frame color? Or the actual background of a window?

Background, text color etc. I like dark themed apps since bright gives me a headache.

#4 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:04

I hate how the font options are gone.... you're stuck with the default font size and type. I change all mine to Candara cuz segoeui is meh.

#5 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:07

You'll be able to change the taskbar and chrome color, like always. But it seems the only way you can adjust other options is to use one of the high-contrast themes. Being able to change any part of the font (outside of the size) is no longer possible.

#6 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40

let me guess..... telemetry again.....

*rolleyes*

#7 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:47

I hate how the font options are gone.... you're stuck with the default font size and type. I change all mine to Candara cuz segoeui is meh.

Well, you can change the font size of different elements in the RP, but I know, removing the ability to change the font face is just plain stupid. I mean, what is their reason for removing such a functionality? If they say that no one really changes the fonts on their system, that's fine. But to remove the ability completely for everyone? It just doesn't make sense to me.

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:57

I am sure you can always do something in registry, not the most elegant way but...

#9 OP Defcon

Defcon

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:35

So it is as I feared, more dumbing down of Windows for absolutely no reason. Since none of the personalization dialogs have changed, it was actually more work to remove features than leave them in, and make the lives of millions worse. Good job Microsoft.

#10 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:00

The ability to change some of the font size metrics is still around, it's in the same control panel as where you change the desktop DPI (i.e. Right-click desktop, Screen Resolution, Make text bigger or smaller).

So it is as I feared, more dumbing down of Windows for absolutely no reason. Since none of the personalization dialogs have changed, it was actually more work to remove features than leave them in, and make the lives of millions worse. Good job Microsoft.

That's simply not how it works. It would have been a whole lot of work to maintain certain options given other changes in the system, and we know for a fact they were used by virtually nobody.

#11 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 August 2012 - 20:17

The ability to change some of the font size metrics is still around, it's in the same control panel as where you change the desktop DPI (i.e. Right-click desktop, Screen Resolution, Make text bigger or smaller).

That's simply not how it works. It would have been a whole lot of work to maintain certain options given other changes in the system, and we know for a fact they were used by virtually nobody.

While I certainly agree with the second part, I know I often changed my system fonts, as did many others. Of all the options taken away, that seems like the worst one to remove.

#12 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 20:52

I also change mine depending on what mouse or monitor I decide to use.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!