Document shows full extent of iPhone's influence on Samsung UI design

132-page document shows full extent of iPhone's influence on Samsung interface design

125-ca7da5aa0c_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Apple succeeded today in getting the entirety of an internal Samsung report comparing the iPhone to its own Galaxy S admitted into evidence. First reported by All Things D, the 132-page document paints a picture of Samsung recognizing superior elements of Apple?s user experience and changes Samsung needed to make in order to improve its own products. In most cases, these "Directions for Improvement" amounted to adding features or details where Apple?s interface was better, and subtracting those things that made Samsung's interface appear complex in comparison. While it's easy now to pick out areas where both iOS and Android engineers borrow from one another for new ideas about functionality, the document shows just how finely Samsung aimed to emulate Apple's user experience in 2010.

Source: The Verge

The Verge: Gallery

Scribd: 132-page document

• Like 2

i'm no Apple/iProduct fan but it takes a blind man not to see where Samsung got the "inspiration" for both their software and hardware... the Galaxy S series is like a cheap and badly done copy of the original, like it has been done by a designer taking instructions and details via phone

Welcome to the competitive analysis. You do realize that Apple does the EXACT same thing when they come up with their products? They look at most successful products, copy the things that work, improve on things that don't. Why is this a surprise or shock?

• Like 2

Welcome to the competitive analysis. You do realize that Apple does the EXACT same thing when they come up with their products? They look at most successful products, copy the things that work, improve on things that don't. Why is this a surprise or shock?

Exactly this, you want to emulate the element that work, and discard those that don't. Competing companies are always invoking the experiences of their competitors to come up with new ideas. The doc didn't say "I like the iPhone's windy clock sound, get in there and copy the sound file so we can get it on our device." They simply saw the advantage of bringing an emotional element to an otherwise mundane task to give the user a sense of overall enjoyment. One thing Apple has always been good at is bringing emotional responses to the most pedestrian of user actions. While we may not see it as more than just "setting the time", the common user is getting more out of something that doesn't normally bring any enjoyment.

And Samsung has evidence that says other wise. Who cares at this point and who cares if Samsung loses. I am sure Samsung will bounce back and if not, then there are other good android companies to choose from. Its not like it will be the end of Android.

Microsoft and Apple would either not exist, or be as successful as they are today, without copying/taking ideas and inspiration from others.

Microsoft and Apple would either not exist, or be as successful as they are today, without copying/taking ideas and inspiration from others.

Like I said before, there's a difference between drawing inspiration from others and flat out copying just about everything you can.

It's surprising looking at this document just how much of it is similar to the iPhone.

I didn't realise it was this extensive really. I thought it was mainly just the home screen they ripped off but they also did the Calculator, Notes, Keyboard, Browser Bookmarks, Music Player, Contacts, Calender and the list goes on and on.

This doesn't look good for Samsung. Also something surprising is just how deep this document is, they aren't just examining the competition they are outlining every single aspect of the product. Every slide is extremely detailed to a specific function of the iPhone or its supporting software iTunes and it is basically detailing what Samsung has to change to look like the iPhone and iTunes.

I think if anything, this is a wake up call for the industry and even those here on this board. Its not always easy innovating a new function when something already does it so well. A lot of designs out there emulate something existing. Apple isn't new to this concept and neither is Samsung. In Samsungs case looking at the document they took a clear easy path. Looking at the Calculator for example, Apple used the Braun calculator and emulated that on the iPhone, this has been documented by them. Apple uses many of Dieter Rams styles and proportions in their designs as well as Brauns. Im not sure really what approach Samsung took, it could have been Brauns as well. Sure many are saying there are not many approaches to Calculator designs, but yet I haven't seen evidence that they attempted something different

post-56246-0-56774400-1344455289.jpg

This thread is like shill central. It amuses me that nobody made the same arguments when Samsung proved that Apple ripped parts of their design from other phones either. In the tech world people always copy ideas from other people, and despite what Apple fans will tell you Apple didn't invent every good idea either, in fact iOS 5 was a work of ripping off Android and Windows Phone.

It's just the way the tech industry works. Get the hell over yourselves already and bitch about something that actually matters.

• Like 2

It's just the way the tech industry works. Get the hell over yourselves already and bitch about something that actually matters.

Bitching about the Windows 8 Start screen has been done more than enough.

i really wouldn't call it copying when you make something that is just the most logical way to do things...

like i wouldn't say firestone copies the tires that goodyear makes... they're round, have a certain shape to the sidewall, thickness, tread, etc, etc... it's just the most logical way to do something...

in the example at the beginning, what should samsung have done to slide the numbers? go diagonal? maybe press buttons? no! you swipe to spin the 'dial' to the number you want...

these 'copying' things are such crap....

Does the iPhone really make sound when setting an alarm? I don't remember mine ever doing that.

From what I remember when I still had my iPod touch, yes. It got stolen unfortunately and the iPad doesn't have a Clock app so I can't check whether it's still the case in iOS 5.

This thread is like shill central. It amuses me that nobody made the same arguments when Samsung proved that Apple ripped parts of their design from other phones either. In the tech world people always copy ideas from other people, and despite what Apple fans will tell you Apple didn't invent every good idea either, in fact iOS 5 was a work of ripping off Android and Windows Phone.

One of the biggest problems with this trial is not the claim that Samsung copied iPhone. It's the fact that if Apple wins it means their patents are not invalid and will use this trial to go after everyone else. This is the real problem. This is why this judge is constantly giving Apple everything they need to win. She needs Apple to win because it reinforces the patent system.

Samsung losing this by itself is not a big deal. They have already redesigned all their products and the only thing that would happen is that Samsung loses financially 2.5 billion. The consequences of this trial on the whole competition and backing up the fact that Apple really patented basic things will have far more reaching influence on innovation than just this Samsung spat. It would basically give Apple the right to sue everyone who designs minimalistic stuff in regards to tablets and phones with rows of icons and stupid sh** like swipe to unlock.

Apple wins double. They get ammo to continue trolling competition and getting money from Samsung is just a bonus.

This is why Judge Koh is siding with Apple. She's defending this messed up patent system as it is now because if she doesn't it invalidates everything Apple has been paying USPTO and courts for. Naturally, she is also defending an American company over non-American one because Apple's success (no matter how short-sighted it is) makes money for the government. This is really not about justice.

From what I remember when I still had my iPod touch, yes. It got stolen unfortunately and the iPad doesn't have a Clock app so I can't check whether it's still the case in iOS 5.

Pretty sure the Clock app doesn't make any sounds when setting an alarm, from 3.1.2 to 5.x. If it did, it doesn't now.

Pretty sure the Clock app doesn't make any sounds when setting an alarm, from 3.1.2 to 5.x. If it did, it doesn't now.

The scroller to set the time did definitely make ticking sounds... In fact, I just found a similar scroller on my iPad and it produces sound as well.

PS It's the same sound as when you type.

The scroller to set the time did definitely make ticking sounds... In fact, I just found a similar scroller on my iPad and it produces sound as well.

PS It's the same sound as when you type.

Oh, that sound. In that case, yes. I was thinking of a random sound effect after hitting 'Set/Save'.

Bitching about the Windows 8 Start screen has been done more than enough.

Sure, but that's a usability change that potentially impacts a hell of a lot of people negatively, very different to people sitting on their soapboxes in "righteous" anger because "my favourite company invented every good idea and those mean competitors are stealing from them". Having more competition impacts customers in a positive way, and it affects them in no way whatsoever if competitors use each other's ideas, if iFans really hate Samsung that much, just don't buy their phones. If people had a shred of common sense they would realise that banning products is REALLY bad for customers.

This is why Judge Koh is siding with Apple. She's defending this messed up patent system as it is now because if she doesn't it invalidates everything Apple has been paying USPTO and courts for. Naturally, she is also defending an American company over non-American one because Apple's success (no matter how short-sighted it is) makes money for the government. This is really not about justice.

I think it's more simple than that because a lot of other American judges have thrown Apple's claims out. I think she's just taking bungs off of them.

Sure, but that's a usability change that potentially impacts a hell of a lot of people negatively, very different to people sitting on their soapboxes in "righteous" anger because "my favourite company invented every good idea and those mean competitors are stealing from them". Having more competition impacts customers in a positive way, and it affects them in no way whatsoever if competitors use each other's ideas, if iFans really hate Samsung that much, just don't buy their phones. If people had a shred of common sense they would realise that banning products is REALLY bad for customers.

Others may say that if you had a shred of common sense you'd realize the Start screen is actually an improvement. Everyone has his/her own viewpoints and can "bitch" about whatever they'd like. It's just best if you find a way to deal with that. Additionally, it's safe to say the "iFans" in generally won't buy Samsung products and the Galaxy Sheep don't buy Apple's. ;)

Others may say that if you had a shred of common sense you'd realize the Start screen is actually an improvement. Everyone has his/her own viewpoints and can "bitch" about whatever they'd like. It's just best if you find a way to deal with that. Additionally, it's safe to say the "iFans" in generally won't buy Samsung products and the Galaxy Sheep don't buy Apple's. ;)

Oh please. I highly doubt anyone here is a Galaxy Sheep as YOU so put it and the first time I ever even heard that comment. Great about Android is that we can change manufacturers and try other companies and not be locked it to the same look/style. Most people who have used Android for a little while have used other manufacturers other than Samsung. Besides, comparing Apple fans against anyone else is really no comparison. Die hard Apple fans are the worse...and I will add "in my experience" since I am sure someone here will take offense.

I am sticking with the NEXUS devices from here on out as it provides the pure Google experience. Really do not care the manufacturer as long as they make a good device.

I've owned an iOS device before, never had a Samsung phone. Seems to me Android fans are more capable of being open minded than the apple fans in my experience anyway.

Oh please. I highly doubt anyone here is a Galaxy Sheep as YOU so put it and the first time I ever even heard that comment. Great about Android is that we can change manufacturers and try other companies and not be locked it to the same look/style. Most people who have used Android for a little while have used other manufacturers other than Samsung. Besides, comparing Apple fans against anyone else is really no comparison. Die hard Apple fans are the worse...and I will add "in my experience" since I am sure someone here will take offense.

I am sticking with the NEXUS devices from here on out as it provides the pure Google experience. Really do not care the manufacturer as long as they make a good device.

If all Android phones had the same quality as the Nexus line, I think Android would be a lot more appreciated by outsiders. But the garbage UI's and bloatware that OEMs load on every other phone makes it an easy target for torment.