ie10 metro internet explorer windows windows 8 apps

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 david

david

Android Aficionado

• Phone: Nexus 5 // Mahdi // Code_Blue

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:06

For some reason, I cannot find the Metro version of IE10 on my Windows 8 computer. Help?

I've also looked in the store. How do I get it back guys?

Posted Image

#2 GJVC

GJVC

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:08

You put google chrome as your default browser. The metro chrome browser replaces the metro IE.
It seems like you can only have one metro browser

edit: for putting it back, you need to set IE as the default browser again

#3 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:10

You need to have IE10 as your default browser.

#4 OP david

david

Android Aficionado

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:11

You put google chrome as your default browser. The metro chrome browser replaces the metro IE.
It seems like you can only have one metro browser

edit: for putting it back, you need to set IE as the default browser again

There is a Metro Chrome?

You need to have IE10 as your default browser.

Ok! Thanks!

#5 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:54

There is a Metro Chrome?

Yes, but it's not really Metro at this time. To enable it, you need to have Chrome Dev and set it as your default browser.

#6 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:55

Ah so that explains why my Metro IE has never been there. You dont need to be on the chrome dev version, it replaces it on the latest stable.

#7 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2012 - 17:01

You need to set IE as your default browser, but there's a trick.
You can set to open the Desktop IE or the Metro IE, make sure to pick up the good one :)

Also, there's an option to open the pinned website/pinned IE inside the Metro app.

#8 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2012 - 21:47

No, even the stable version of Google chrome now has Metro version. If you look at the screenshot by the OP, the chrome icon is the metro one. If you set Chrome as the default browser, launching from the start screen will launch the metro version.

#9 OP david

david

Android Aficionado

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:36

No, even the stable version of Google chrome now has Metro version. If you look at the screenshot by the OP, the chrome icon is the metro one. If you set Chrome as the default browser, launching from the start screen will launch the metro version.

I can confirm. Latest stable chrome launches "Metro Chrome" when launched from Start screen.

#10 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:49

Does Metro Chrome auto install from the desktop version or something? Because I noticed this exact same thing last night. I have desktop Chrome installed because the desktop IE keeps un-maximising Flash videos and crashes a lot. I wanted to play with the Metro IE last night though, and noticed that Metro Chrome as installed and IE was missing.

I have absolutely NO idea how Metro Chrome got on there... I didn't install it!

#11 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:11

Does Metro Chrome auto install from the desktop version or something? Because I noticed this exact same thing last night. I have desktop Chrome installed because the desktop IE keeps un-maximising Flash videos and crashes a lot. I wanted to play with the Metro IE last night though, and noticed that Metro Chrome as installed and IE was missing.

I have absolutely NO idea how Metro Chrome got on there... I didn't install it!

Metro versions of browsers will be installed with the desktop versions. You don't have to install it separately. When metro version of Firefox is released, installing the desktop version will install both versions on Windows 8. Just set the default browser to whichever browser you want to use in the metro mode.

#12 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:14

Metro versions of browsers will be installed with the desktop versions. You don't have to install it separately. When metro version of Firefox is released, installing the desktop version will install both versions on Windows 8. Just set the default browser to whichever browser you want to use in the metro mode.

Unacceptable. I chose to install the DESKTOP version of Chrome, which I did before there even WAS a Metro version. At no time was I told the metro version would install, or that it would remove the Metro IE from use. I have a requirement for multiple browsers on my machine.

#13 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:38

Unacceptable. I chose to install the DESKTOP version of Chrome, which I did before there even WAS a Metro version. At no time was I told the metro version would install, or that it would remove the Metro IE from use. I have a requirement for multiple browsers on my machine.

But that's not Chrome (or Firefox's) fault. That's how it works in Widows 8. There are no two browsers for each mode. Rather, how it works is that it is the same browser (engine) running with two diferent user interface. internet Explorer, for eample, doesn't have two exe files for each version (metro vs desktop). There is only one Internet Explorer that can display BOTH versions. Same with chrome, there is only ONE chrome exe that can work as BOTH versions. Even though you installed it before there was metro version, when Chrome updated itself, it gained the CAPABILITY of displaying both versions.

To get metro IE back and remove metro chrome, set IE as the default browser.

I agree that the default browser rule is weird. But there's how I do it. I keep IE default browser, but just launch and use chrome daily. I really don't care chrome is not my default browser because it doesn't affect the fact that I still use chrome as my primary browser.

#14 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:04

Chrome is set as the default browser, but clicking on links in apps outside of the browser launches desktop IE, so clearly the default browser part isn't working quite right; at least in the RP anyway.

#15 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:21

Chrome is set as the default browser, but clicking on links in apps outside of the browser launches desktop IE, so clearly the default browser part isn't working quite right; at least in the RP anyway.

Type in default programs on start screen. In the default program applet, set the browser you want as default