Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank B.

utorrent New version of

43 posts in this topic

New version of uTorrent getting advertisements in the form of 'featured' torrents

uTorrent has long been ad-supported software

Time for me to find a new client.

I hear qtorrent is pretty nice.. >.>

utorrent is going downhill... I understand they need revenue for development... I wouldn't mind donating

1 person likes this

rtorrent, deluge, transmission, qtorrent. There is a whole host of alternatives for the discerning pirate.

wNM1N.png

1 person likes this

This update includes improvements and changes that we think you are going to like
Comedy gold.

utorrent is going downhill... I understand they need revenue for development... I wouldn't mind donating

Don't think it is needed.

From TorrentFreak...

However, a person close to the company told TorrentFreak that even without the uTorrent ads the company is doing very well. Current annual revenue is estimated at somewhere between $15 and $20 million and the company is backed by millions in venture capital.

With

Still on version 2.0.4, the last version before the GUI went down hill, its also patched against the DLL exploit.

Still on version 2.0.4, the last version before the GUI went down hill, its also patched against the DLL exploit.

I'm on 2.0 (stable) what is this DLL exploit you speak of? :p

I'm on 2.0 (stable) what is this DLL exploit you speak of? :p

You're running a very very old version of uTorrent. Almost 3 years old. You can imagine that a lot of bugs have been discovered in the old version that are now fixed. Things like malformed .torrent files being able to take over your computer by having uTorrent execute arbitrary code etc

It's always risky running outdated software especially things that interface directly with the internet and continually receive files from unknown sources. I can understand your reluctance to upgrade due to the interface changes to uTorrent 3.0 and what a lot of users consider unnecessary features but really for security people should be keeping up to date or switch to a different client.

2 people like this

Thanks I didn't know about that!

There as a glitch that allowed for the loading of DLLs by uTorrent that weren't originally included in the install.

It's definitely something you want to upgrade to avoid.

I stopped using uTorrent when I got sabNZBD.

1 person likes this

I also have ESET endpoint security installed, so I doubt I've been hit with the DLL exploit anyway.

1 person likes this

I wouldn't worry too much. Anyone remembers Kazaa Lite, Imesh Light, or Blubster Lite? I can't wait to see someone release the ''

snip

You always use portable versions of everything :p

moved on from uTorrent along time ago. Was a great app, but now no thanks!

Me too.

Not that anyone is going to sneak a .dll file into my μTorrent directory so even without the patch... ;)

μTorrent 2.0.4: http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/8660/

Does 2.04 have the patch included? Im a pretty old version myself (with downloading apps once they are working I usually don't touch em).

I dislike change, I dont want to spend ages researching a good replacement. Hopefully the patched 2.x version ad free will keep me p2ping for a long while yet,

handnt even given anyone of thie consideration in the past, but always opted to not install the toolbars etc. so im currently running 3.1.3 is it recommended that i downgrade to 2.0.4?

Still staying with 2.x :)

Does 2.04 have the patch included? Im a pretty old version myself (with downloading apps once they are working I usually don't touch em)

Yup:

There is a DLL vulnerability in all versions of Windows affecting a great deal of software applications. Subsequently attack code targeting the uTorrent client surfaced on a third-party website, and while so far no attacks have been reported to us, we have released uTorrent 2.0.4 to fix this vulnerability,

There is a whole host of alternatives for the discerning *nix distribution aficionado.

Fixed for the truth.

Fixed for the truth.

Transmission, Vuze, Tixati, Deluge and qTorrent are all available for Windows. Don't know what you're talking about.

On December 7, 2006,

I'm looking forward to get my next alternative BitTorrent client.

P.S.Tixati's interface reminds me of WinMX, in a way....