38 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,506 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:38

Prominent Android piracy sites seized by US government

Three of the most popular sites for illegally downloading Android apps have been seized by law enforcement agencies as part of a operation that also involved Dutch and French police. Both Appbucket and Snappzmarket now display FBI seizure notices, and according to the Department of Justice (DOJ) a further site, Applanet, has also been seized. At the time of writing Applanet remains active, but its marketplace is currently offline.

In a statement on its site, the DOJ says that "this is the first time website domains involving cell phone app marketplaces have been seized." With Android piracy rates reportedly at 60 percent, the DOJ's move will undoubtably please many developers. It's not only Android that suffers from piracy, however, and iOS piracy havens such as Hackulous may well be next on the DOJ's list.

Source: The Verge

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,554 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:56

Where one site is taken down, more will take its place. Not going to stop things like this, only slow it a little.

#3 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:00

Where one site is taken down, more will take its place. Not going to stop things like this, only slow it a little.

Taking them down makes the problem worse in some cases, even blocking TPB made it even easier to access it with the huge amount of TPB proxies that are now alive

#4 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• 8,220 posts
  • Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:01

the alternative is letting those pirate scout free to get more $$$ of illegal practice

#5 Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:02

well ive never heard of those ones, but they didnt get the ones i thought they might have...so.....FAIL

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,009 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:02

it's like the song.

5 piracy sites on the net, 5 piracy sites. Take one down pass it around, 25 piracy sites on the net.

But honestly, I'd never heard of those sites and I sail the seas of binaries...

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,554 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:16

the alternative is letting those pirate scout free to get more $$$ of illegal practice

Never said to let it happen...just said this will do little to stop it.

Taking them down makes the problem worse in some cases, even blocking TPB made it even easier to access it with the huge amount of TPB proxies that are now alive

Yea, look what happened when they took down Napster. A dozen other P2P programs popped up in its place.

#8 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,810 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:29

well ive never heard of those ones, but they didnt get the ones i thought they might have...so.....FAIL

haha same here

#9 xeleraph

xeleraph

Neowinian

• 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:49

Never said to let it happen...just said this will do little to stop it.

So what do you suggest?

#10 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,181 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:50

Why I'm only now hearing about those sites :( ?

#11 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:54

Perhaps because your googling skills suck :p

#12 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,138 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:04

People really need to pirate $0.99 apps? Honestly, it's more cost effective to buy them if your time is worth anything to you. It's easier, you get everything one one place, you can always re-download a copy and it'll update on its own.

#13 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,285 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:15

People really need to pirate $0.99 apps? Honestly, it's more cost effective to buy them if your time is worth anything to you. It's easier, you get everything one one place, you can always re-download a copy and it'll update on its own.

Yeah, pirating apps never made sense to me, even the more expensive $10+ ones, heck usually the free ones are as good or better than most pay apps anyways, and you can only play so many games on a mobile device, do you really need more than one game per genre?

#14 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,399 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:26

Id say the only feasible solution is for the the proprietor of the platfoms to make things as hard as possible to pirate or tie in live server services that check for legitimate checkpoints upon access each and every time. Lets look at the xbox 360...this was pirateable for years before the ps3 was finally hacked. Even though the xbox is hackable its a pita and requires hardware intervention so many people won't bother and the issue is relegated to a small minority. Windows Phone...pita and..probably not the community there to really streamline that but still, small amount compared to other platforms.

I just contend the only real way to defeat it is to make it inconvenient for people to hack the system and pirate..$1 apps or $1000 sofrware if its convenient there will always be a % that will...I guess the other approach, you have to go in the opposite direction and tie your product into amazing live services that people want and which you can check in with legitimate checkpoints at every turn to prevent its use by a hacked platform.

Eitherway interesting that the DOJ cares about mobile platforms but yeah this won't stop squat...except maybe people like pupik that can't google (jj :p mate)

#15 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:31

build it and they will pirate it