Arctic sea ice melt at record level

More sea ice has melted in the Arctic this summer than at any time since satellite records began more than 30 years ago, scientists say.

It is thought a natural warming and cooling cycle could be responsible for up to 30% of the melting - but the rest is the result of human activity releasing greenhouse gases.

Roger Harrabin reports.

Video below

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19391211

And deniers say , there has not been any increase in warming or Arctic ice for a few years :rofl: .

The problem is is that there's no proof to show whether greenhouse gases are causing the arctic to melt.

My thoughts are that it's much more probable that the sun's cycle and nature has more to do with it.

Regardless, we just don't have enough data to show any sort of reliable trend.

The problem is is that there's no proof to show whether greenhouse gases are causing the arctic to melt.

My thoughts are that it's much more probable that the sun's cycle and nature has more to do with it.

I believe that its Co2 but your right nobody really knows , but we should stop going business as usual just in case its Co2

I think the proof is all around us an a majority of scientists certainly agree to the idea of climate change. We've seen an increasing number of droughts, forest fires and freaky weather including soaring temperatures.

There's also a large agreement in most of the worlds scientific bodies that global warming is happening and by and large man-made.

I think the proof is all around us an a majority of scientists certainly agree to the idea of climate change.

Of all the greenhouse gasses being put into the Ozone, Mankinds contribution makes up a tiny percentage. We get hugely outclassed by Bovine Methane Emissions (Methane is 100x better at being a greenhouse gas than CO2) and Volcanos. Most of what decides the planets temperate depends on the output of the Sun anyway, and that fluctuates wildly.

Of all the greenhouse gasses being put into the Ozone, Mankinds contribution makes up a tiny percentage. We get hugely outclassed by Bovine Methane Emissions (Methane is 100x better at being a greenhouse gas than CO2) and Volcanos. Most of what decides the planets temperate depends on the output of the Sun anyway, and that fluctuates wildly.

That's not really true though when Methane is said to be around 20 times more powerful than CO2 and cows amount to around 3% of Britain's overall greenhouse gas emissions...

I think the proof is all around us an a majority of scientists certainly agree to the idea of climate change. We've seen an increasing number of droughts, forest fires and freaky weather including soaring temperatures.

I agree that the weather has been interesting over the past 10-20 years or so. I remember as a kid having crazy winters with multiple feet of snow at a time, and now in recent years, we have been lucky to not have a green Christmas. Through 2 years ago we had an absolutely terrible winter, so it was a bit of a combo-breaker.

But overall, who's to say that it's not just the tip of a 100 year cycle or something? Maybe we'll start to have less natural disasters and more regular-defined seasons as the cycle recedes or starts over. Once and a while you'll hear about some temperature record from 1893 or whatever that was broken, but then you have to consider that those temperatures occurred back then as well, so it really isn't so out-of-the-ordinary. All it will take is a 5-10 year stretch of more "normal" or "better than normal" weather and the whole "global warming" theory will be brought to it's knees.

Of all the greenhouse gasses being put into the Ozone, Mankinds contribution makes up a tiny percentage. We get hugely outclassed by Bovine Methane Emissions (Methane is 100x better at being a greenhouse gas than CO2) and Volcanos.

Given that cows are bred for human consumption are you claiming that their emissions shouldn't be counted as man-made? If their emissions are such a concern then we should switch to more environmentally friendly food sources. As for whether the majority of CO2 is man-made or not, that can be determined by examining the balance between carbon-13 and carbon-14 isotopes. As you will see here, CO2 production from human activities (30 billion tons) is 130 times greater than that from volcanoes (145-255 million tons). As always, before you repeat an opinion you heard elsewhere it is always worthwhile to verify it.

The idea that anthropogenic climate change is disputed in the scientific community is simply wrong.

• Like 2

I agree that the weather has been interesting over the past 10-20 years or so. I remember as a kid having crazy winters with multiple feet of snow at a time, and now in recent years, we have been lucky to not have a green Christmas. Through 2 years ago we had an absolutely terrible winter, so it was a bit of a combo-breaker.

But overall, who's to say that it's not just the tip of a 100 year cycle or something? Maybe we'll start to have less natural disasters and more regular-defined seasons as the cycle recedes or starts over. Once and a while you'll hear about some temperature record from 1893 or whatever that was broken, but then you have to consider that those temperatures occurred back then as well, so it really isn't so out-of-the-ordinary. All it will take is a 5-10 year stretch of more "normal" or "better than normal" weather and the whole "global warming" theory will be brought to it's knees.

I don't think that global warming is really a theory anymore considering the science has shown that temperature has increased from around the 1850's. I wouldn't consider you having a terrible winter proves that the temperature is dropping globally though...

Also read that's thought that a volcanic eruption only effects the atmosphere surrounding it for around 2 years.

If you have a glass full of water a simple water drop will make the glass of water overflow.

• Like 2

it was perfect balance of co2 released and consumed by plants , we came around produced more co2 and chopped down the plants.

I wouldn't consider you having a terrible winter proves that the temperature is dropping globally though...

That is true , Joe public believes if there is a bit of snow on the ground global warming and climate change is not happening.

They don't seam to realise that there is a world outside there house.

it was perfect balance of co2 released and consumed by plants , we came around produced more co2 and chopped down the plants.

Who says it was a perfect balance? The levels of CO2 aren't what drives plant growth.

I don't think that global warming is really a theory anymore considering the science has shown that temperature has increased from around the 1850's. I wouldn't consider you having a terrible winter proves that the temperature is dropping globally though...

Also read that's thought that a volcanic eruption only effects the atmosphere surrounding it for around 2 years.

Oh, I know. I'm just in a small insignificant area compared to the rest of the world, but my point was that there are cycles that occur all the time in nature. Hurricane cycles, seasonal cycles, etc etc. I just find it hard to believe that the climate change isn't some sort of cycle that simply has a longer duration than we have been currently able to measure.

I just don't think we should limit our progress as a civilization quite yet because a few people think we are killing the Earth.

Oh, I know. I'm just in a small insignificant area compared to the rest of the world, but my point was that there are cycles that occur all the time in nature. Hurricane cycles, seasonal cycles, etc etc. I just find it hard to believe that the climate change isn't some sort of cycle that simply has a longer duration than we have been currently able to measure.

I just don't think we should limit our progress as a civilization quite yet because a few people think we are killing the Earth.

A few people? Like I said it's largely agreed upon now and certainly is in the scientific community. In fact all the scientific papers published between 1993 and 2003 that held the idea of man-made climate change was rejected. it's believed that 97-98% of climate experts worldwide agree on man-made warming.

I wouldn't consider the dirty factories in China or the US to be furthering the progress of civilization at the cost of the Earth. I'd say that researching and developing ways to limit humanities impact on the climate with greener, better ways would be huge progress for civilization, not the belching factories of the world.

hurry up and put all the co2 and methane in the atmosphere so it can drop temperatures ... I HATE summer ... hate the heat and the damn smell and smog/stickiness and you feel as dirty as just before/after you take a shower.

Winter!!!! sooooooo much better ... every time you look at the snow fakes you instantly become happier .. take a sled or through some snowballs ... do some 180degrees with the car ... and then some warm beverages ... either warm wine with some spices or whatever floats your boat ....

so everyone .. go buy a hummer and lets do this .... for a good cause !!!!!

hurry up and put all the co2 and methane in the atmosphere so it can drop temperatures ... I HATE summer ... hate the heat and the damn smell and smog/stickiness and you feel as dirty as just before/after you take a shower.

Winter!!!! sooooooo much better ... every time you look at the snow fakes you instantly become happier .. take a sled or through some snowballs ... do some 180degrees with the car ... and then some warm beverages ... either warm wine with some spices or whatever floats your boat ....

Actually. that's pretty much the exact opposite of what you want.

What you suggest, will result in shorter/less snowy winters.

Actually. that's pretty much the exact opposite of what you want.

What you suggest, will result in shorter/less snowy winters.

I was thinking something like this :

more CO2/Gasses makes the ice melt --> fresh water into ocean will destroy the "conveyor" (the water stream that flows beneath/through the oceans .. that will upset the nature into a similar "The Day after Tomorrow" scenario where nature re-acclimates itself .. then again, not a scientist and Hollywood messed up my senses so I could be 101% wrong ....

also ...

if the sun melts ice,

temp increase,

water evaporates,

water droplets increase temp (lensing effect),

more dust , dust covers sky ,

people start nuking themselves,

clouds decrease temp,

most stupid dies

lower temp

win! :) ... goto say, slow day at work, bored, tired and sleepy ... never the less, genius idea ... goto put it as a theory of inevitability !!! .. yes!

I was thinking something like this :

more CO2/Gasses makes the ice melt --> fresh water into ocean will destroy the "conveyor" (the water stream that flows beneath/through the oceans .. that will upset the nature into a similar "The Day after Tomorrow" scenario where nature re-acclimates itself .. then again, not a scientist and Hollywood messed up my senses so I could be 101% wrong ....

also ...

if the sun melts ice,

temp increase,

water evaporates,

water droplets increase temp (lensing effect),

more dust , dust covers sky ,

people start nuking themselves,

clouds decrease temp,

most stupid dies

lower temp

win! :) ... goto say, slow day at work, bored, tired and sleepy ... never the less, genius idea ... goto put it as a theory of inevitability !!! .. yes!

So much wat :laugh:

Humans would have had Mars populated before anything major happens. The human race will live on.

---had to edit, really bored ....

as long as we are dependent on fossil fuels and the economy and society demands it the effect will be present more pronounced as compared to natural occurrences

I believe that its Co2 but your right nobody really knows , but we should stop going business as usual just in case its Co2

I think you are right. It's time to stop doing business as usual, just in case.