• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,167 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 31 August 2012 - 20:35

Words changing spelling over time is entirely different to changing the fundamental meaning of a phrase lol As David Mitchell said, forts are not giant inflatables that you need to hold down (with the possible exception of actual inflatable (bouncy) castles hehe).

So you've never had anyone tell you to hold things down while they run an errand or something? That is, to ensure chaos doesn't ensue upon their departure?

Words change meaning, which can change a phrase. My comparison to spelling had to do with what defines something as right or wrong. If more people do something one way than the other, does it make the minority wrong? Or does the majority remain wrong? Personally, I say you can't judge either as right or wrong, but rather it depends on where you live in some cases, just as you wouldn't come to the south to tell someone "ain't ain't a word ya idjit!" :p

And I'll agree, not everything makes sense. There are plenty of holes in the language we use. 'Irregardless' easily comes to mind.

#47 Routerbad

Routerbad

Neowinian Libertarian

• 852 posts
  • Phone: WP7.5

Posted 31 August 2012 - 20:45

So you've never had anyone tell you to hold things down while they run an errand or something? That is, to ensure chaos doesn't ensue upon their departure?

Words change meaning, which can change a phrase. My comparison to spelling had to do with what defines something as right or wrong. If more people do something one way than the other, does it make the minority wrong? Or does the majority remain wrong? Personally, I say you can't judge either as right or wrong, but rather it depends on where you live in some cases, just as you wouldn't come to the south to tell someone "ain't ain't a word ya idjit!" :p

And I'll agree, not everything makes sense. There are plenty of holes in the language we use. 'Irregardless' easily comes to mind.

I've never heard that before, supposed to be a combination of irrespective and regardless?

#48 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,351 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 22:24

I've never heard that before, supposed to be a combination of irrespective and regardless?

Just means not regarding to me.

#49 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:18

Just means not regarding to me.

What!!!

#50 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:32

Actualy was the statement Washington said to his generals during the long winter at Valley Forge. So this is simple case of the State department not digging far enough. If anything it is. Anti-Brittish. Also I believe the terms were used before then

He was quoted as telling his men to "Hold the fort."

And later during the Civil War...

An order given by General William Tecumseh Sherman in 1864, which was repeated as "Hold the fort (the enemy at Allatoona) at all costs, for I am coming."
This order was given to General John M. Corse Union Army
That enemy was the Confederate army under the command of then Major Samuel Gibbs French.... (later promoted to Major General)

This can not be true because "DOWN" was not something that people would have said during the time--- so their claim is a...

major fail...

The term sounds more like it comes from Hollywood than anything else-- Something John Wayne would have said in a movie...

#51 vetTHolman

THolman

Mystery Tramp

• 819 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:36

I find the sheer level of stupidity in their statement deeply offensive.

#52 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

• 2,984 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:44

Why are WHITE AMERICAN's so PC? Really?
American Indians probably don't care.

#53 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,359 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:58

I find Political Correctness to be offensive. Let's ban it.

#54 vetTHolman

THolman

Mystery Tramp

• 819 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:59

Why are WHITE AMERICAN's so PC? Really?
American Indians probably don't care.

I really doubt anyone cares. Seriously, how many people knew about the supposed origin of 'hold the fort' until they read this article?

EDIT: After doing a little research (I was a little skeptical of the origin - theoretically, someone could've been 'holding the fort' long before there were Europeans in the Americas), it seems that this song may have popularized its use: http://en.wikisource...i/Hold_the_Fort

Shockingly, the song's origin lies not in viewing Indians Native Americans as bogeymen (whom, by the way, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for), but in Sherman's campaigns in Georgia. Therefore, I find it highly offensive [/s].

#55 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:56

to me... "holding the fort" is like makin sure stuffs cool at home or where ever I'm stayin at and nothin more.... what tha hell is wrong with people?!?!

#56 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:28

I find the sheer level of stupidity in their statement deeply offensive.

Me too. Just when you think people and society can't get any stupider......