Sky Broadband UK - 3rd Party Router? Anyone done it?

Hey All,

I am on Sky Broadband and while the speeds are great at all times of the day...

2155019999.png

I would like to use my own Modem / Router, mainly because with the Sky Router, you are forced to use Sky's DNS Servers. (I know i can bypass this on my local computers network settings, but there are other features i want to, VPN etc)

You can find out your sky broadband username / password by going to a certain website (Im not sure its allowed to be posted here so i wont)

Has anyone done this? if so... have you heard from Sky about it?

Many Thanks :) x

Hey All,

I am on Sky Broadband and while the speeds are great at all times of the day...

2155019999.png

I would like to use my own Modem / Router, mainly because with the Sky Router, you are forced to use Sky's DNS Servers. (I know i can bypass this on my local computers network settings, but there are other features i want to, VPN etc)

You can find out your sky broadband username / password by going to a certain website (Im not sure its allowed to be posted here so i wont)

Has anyone done this? if so... have you heard from Sky about it?

Many Thanks :) x

You can get your router username and password from here

http://www.cm9.net/skypass/

EDIT - I don't read things properly :p

I didn't, but as a former Sky I know what you're talking about (they lock their routers down pretty badly). I'd presume that Sky wouldn't have an issue with you using a third party router, but you might be better off giving sky a ring and asking for your details rather than going to some odd website for it. I'm pretty sure they can't force you to use their router if you have a better one. I certainly know that Orange gave me a copy of my username and password if I ever wanted to use a different router.

EDIT: After having looked at the website, it appears that they can force you to use their router, so I personally wouldn't bother to be honest, you don't want to get your service cut off. Wow :/

EDIT 2: The fact that a website can access your broadband username/password is pretty scary.

^^ yea they won't happily give out the credentials over the phone, that site has been around for a while and I've read many success stories from people having done it and successfully used a 3rd party router, I even talked the missus through using that site for her mams sky router and it gave her the details fine, but before I had a chance to set them up a new router they changed ISPs anyway

Two things to consider really...

If you ever need any support, make sure you plug in your sky router, otherwise they won't give you the time of day.

Also, it is actually against their TOS to use a 3rd party router, although I haven't seen anything about anyone being disconnected from using one.

I wouldn't go with Sky if they were the last ISP in the UK

The experience the missus and her family had/have with them is abysmal, whining at them every time they plugged an extension into the phone socket, the only combination they would allow for BB + TV was so ridiculous the phone socket adapters stuck out about half a foot from the wall, broadband was literally slower than dialup

They come knocking on my door every few weeks (cold callers) and look surprised when I tell them where to go

I wouldn't go with Sky if they were the last ISP in the UK

The experience the missus and her family had/have with them is abysmal, whining at them every time they plugged an extension into the phone socket, the only combination they would allow for BB + TV was so ridiculous the phone socket adapters stuck out about half a foot from the wall, broadband was literally slower than dialup

They come knocking on my door every few weeks (cold callers) and look surprised when I tell them where to go

I'm sure you'd go with them if they were the single ADSL2+ LLU provider in the local exchange...

What does the Sky router show your connection type as, MER or PPPoA?

PPPoA is VCI 0 VPI 38 , Connection type PPPoA login is the extracted username/pass

MER is RFC2684/1483 VC-Mux on VCI 0 VPI 40, Get Ip dynamically from ISP - But you have to modify your DHCP client to send the username/password in option 61.

Most lines are still enabled for PPPoA even if the sky modem shows as MER but how long that will work for is anyones guess, I know there's a couple of router manufactuers that are now adding support for skys way of doing MER.

FTTC works with an Ethernet router if it supports sending the Username/password in DHCP option 61.

There's a large thread on sky user about getting 3rd party routers working on Skys network, It IS against the T&C's but thus far i've never heard of SKY kicking anyone off for using their own router, as others have said you'll probably have to plug skys router in to get any support what so ever though.

Currently using a Mikrotik routerboard on Skys FTTC.

I'm sure you'd go with them if they were the single ADSL2+ LLU provider in the local exchange...

Nope, I would honestly prefer to be offline

The stress I have gone through using Dongles and ADSL/2+ LLU and otherwise has literally damaged my mental state, I am so fed up with these pathetic services and the lying companies behind them that if I lost my Infinity connection, I would sell my gear and find a new hobby

Interwebz is good, but not when you have someone battering you in the side of the face the entire time you are using them :)

Nope, I would honestly prefer to be offline

The stress I have gone through using Dongles and ADSL/2+ LLU and otherwise has literally damaged my mental state, I am so fed up with these pathetic services and the lying companies behind them that if I lost my Infinity connection, I would sell my gear and find a new hobby

Interwebz is good, but not when you have someone battering you in the side of the face the entire time you are using them :)

I used to be with BE* for years and I had more issues while with them than Sky. Having said that, when something goes wrong with my line with Sky, I imagine using their support will be like banging my head against a brick wall. It's the best option at my exchange though!

I used to be with BE* for years and I had more issues while with them than Sky. Having said that, when something goes wrong with my line with Sky, I imagine using their support will be like banging my head against a brick wall. It's the best option at my exchange though!

Thankfully I was one of the lucky people who got Infinity installed at their exchange and I could once and for all get rid of the headache that is ADSL/2+

We were with Orange who provided ADSL2+ LLU and while we had problems, it for the most part worked, until Orange sold their lines to BT and all of a sudden we were dropped from ADSL2+ LLU to ADSL

Line would sync at 8000kbps and we would only get about 2Mbps on a good day, Orange blamed BT and BT blamed Orange and no-one would take the blame and fix it, the exchange would continuously drop our sync further for error correction, Orange sent my emails to other orange customers (by mistake) who emailed me telling me what they had done, and the list went on and on they were an absolute nightmare

Eventually we went with BT BB, initially things were better, we were moved to a different faster line, but after a few weeks the same s**t, call after call trying to get someone to fix it, I knew more than the advisors and I got my info from Google

In the end we noticed Infinity was coming, so just waited it out until it arrived and 'touch wood' has been spot on since

What does the Sky router show your connection type as, MER or PPPoA?

PPPoA is VCI 0 VPI 38 , Connection type PPPoA login is the extracted username/pass

MER is RFC2684/1483 VC-Mux on VCI 0 VPI 40, Get Ip dynamically from ISP - But you have to modify your DHCP client to send the username/password in option 61.

Most lines are still enabled for PPPoA even if the sky modem shows as MER but how long that will work for is anyones guess, I know there's a couple of router manufactuers that are now adding support for skys way of doing MER.

FTTC works with an Ethernet router if it supports sending the Username/password in DHCP option 61.

There's a large thread on sky user about getting 3rd party routers working on Skys network, It IS against the T&C's but thus far i've never heard of SKY kicking anyone off for using their own router, as others have said you'll probably have to plug skys router in to get any support what so ever though.

Currently using a Mikrotik routerboard on Skys FTTC.

Yea my router is on MER

I have to say though that Sky for me are brilliant... so cheap aswell :) They are even installing a new BT Line (Well, getting Open Reach to do it) for free when i move to a new flat in a couple of weeks. BT Direct wanted ?140 for it :/

EDIT 2: The fact that a website can access your broadband username/password is pretty scary.

Not really....The Username and Password is generated from the MAC Address of your router. The website just knows how to generate the credentials from the MAC address