Photo

Judging Nokia

poll

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Judging Nokia

How do you think Nokia did today?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Can Nokia survive the competition with it's new line-up?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you buy a Lumia?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,143 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:54

Posted Image

#2 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,518 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:57

Okay/no/no. It's hard for anyone to say since WP8 hasn't officially launched on any devices (it's just been announced). Once consumers get their hand on it, we'll clearly be able to tell. I want the platform to succeed, but I have a gut feeling it won't be able to keep up with iOS or Android.

#3 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,159 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:06

Okay/no/no. It's hard for anyone to say since WP8 hasn't officially launched on any devices (it's just been announced). Once consumers get their hand on it, we'll clearly be able to tell. I want the platform to succeed, but I have a gut feeling it won't be able to keep up with iOS or Android.

It's already kicking both their asses in feature set, now they just need the market share.

#4 OP FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,143 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:06

I will be definitely be buying a Lumia as soon as it launches. However, I would have preferred a slightly thinner Lumia.

There is a 'thinnest competition' going on, and Nokia clearly isn't a part of it. (Or doesn't want to be a part of it.)

#5 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,163 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:08

The biggest news today was the disappointment that Nokia must be feeling. Microsoft still hasn't shipped the OS making it very hard for them to get it in the hands of consumers in the time needed (iOS and Android devices are all launching for the holiday rush). It hurts them even more that the only thing they can sell is devices that won't be getting the upgraded OS...

I'm sure this was a major reason MS didn't show off a ton of the unfinished WP8. The more good they show about the OS the deeper the cut will be to Nokia as consumers hold off purchasing existing Lumia devices. Shame, Microsoft really is making things tough for Nokia here.

#6 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,641 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:09

I feel that both Android and iOS are getting really old. I don't think it's surpass iOS and android. But do think Windows 8 on the tablet is going far surpass Android and these will leed to growth in windows phone 8. Remember we haven't heard all features of Windows Phone 8 yet.

#7 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,518 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:11

It's already kicking both their asses in feature set, now they just need the market share.

As much as I want to love WP7/8, I think it's missing some of the most basic (smart)phone features. For instance, repeating text message notifications! I use my phone as a pager to receive text msgs for work. At 2 in the morning, it fails to wake me up. WP8 is going to have a lot more than just features to have the market share it deserves...How about we wait for judgement after the OS officially released and we get our hands on it?

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,896 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:15

Not really.

#9 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,465 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:30

What's there to keep up with? iOS is stagnating with a seriously outdated UI and a lack of interesting new features and Android can't even sort out the most fundamental problems such as ongoing performance issues and phones that never receive updates.

#10 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 2,953 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:38

As much as I love Nokia and they are a part of my phone history, I wouldn't purchase a Nokia phone because its Windows Phone or nothing.

In my opinion (for what its worth, if anything) Nokia are the best, best camera and best hardware.

I really like Android so when I purchase a phone its my first question, does it have Android or not? If its a no then I move on.

I believe Nokia could really benefit from using Windows Phone (which is a great os) but also Android (also another great os)

People like options.

#11 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:41

Since iPhone announcement will be on 9/12, I think MS&Nokia are saving some other information to be announced after it. Wonder what other functions that they have for WP8 phone.

#12 OP FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,143 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:43

As much as I love Nokia and they are a part of my phone history, I wouldn't purchase a Nokia phone because its Windows Phone or nothing.

If you want option, we have Meego and Symbian operating systems (great, but highly under-rated)!

#13 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:43

What's there to keep up with? iOS is stagnating with a seriously outdated UI and a lack of interesting new features and Android can't even sort out the most fundamental problems such as ongoing performance issues and phones that never receive updates.

Yeah iPhone is stagnating http://www.neowin.ne...the-us-for-july
and WP has gained tremendous market share /s

#14 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,518 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:46

Meh, I have something to say about both of those things - but rather than feeding the troll, let's stay on topic, kthnx?

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:53

Having gotten more and more bored and irritated with Android the last year or two, and not having owed an iOS device, I would say WP OS on the Lumia range of very decent devices should do very well