pureview nokia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 OP Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:32

Such an advert would have been very hard to shoot correctly.

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.

If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation (OIS), but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of the Lumia 920's OIS capabilities. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors considerably. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and actually shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, is misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

#32 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:35

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.
[. . .]

Oh I definitely agree. That was my thought, too. When I first saw the video, I was actually concerned that it's promoting such dangerous riding.

[. . .]
It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation, but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of image stabilisation by the Lumia 920. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, seems deceiving and misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

I was talking about if it was accurate of what the Lumia 920 is capable of, not just if it was accurate OIS :) If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem, other than that it is promoting dangerous riding.

#33 OP Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:55

If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem

I wouldn't have a problem with that either, I'd be more impressed than I already am with the 920's hardware. However, I doubt that its PureView OIS is that good. In that ad, both the person shooting the video and the subject of the video were moving relatively quickly. Current demos showcased decent, steady videos but shot with minimal movement involved. To be fair, that level of stabilisation is enough for me anyway; I don't intend to take videos while biking, driving, etc.