Photo

Internet Explorer 10 not showing its Jump List.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:36

This started happening a few days ago, not sure what might have caused it, is there a setting to enable/disable this somewhere? any help would be appreciated.

Attached Images

• NoJumpList.png

#2 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:49

Right-click on an empty section of the taskbar.
Click Properties
Click on Jump Lists tab
Check to see if both the items in the Privacy section are checked.

If they are not then check them both, and hit Apply then OK to close the window.

If they are already checked then you may need to follow the instructions on this website:
http://www.mydigital...r-pinned-files/

#3 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 00:46

Thanks Shane Nokes, for some reason neither of those tricks worked for me, I just recovered my PC with to a back up from a couple of days ago using True Image and it's all back to normal, not sure what caused it.

#4 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:02

Thanks Shane Nokes, for some reason neither of those tricks worked for me, I just recovered my PC with to a back up from a couple of days ago using True Image and it's all back to normal, not sure what caused it.

Weird. Sorry those didn't work for you. Sounds like a new cause of the issue then...

Just curious...what has changed in the last couple days as regards items installed? I'm wondering if a third-party tool might not have been the root cause.

#5 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:18

Just curious...what has changed in the last couple days as regards items installed? I'm wondering if a third-party tool might not have been the root cause.

It was specifically related to IE10, all other jump lists were working normally, nothing else was broken and it happened after I installed a new version of RoboForm Pro, when installing I didn't realiaze Internet Explorer was open, the program asked me to close it to continue the installation, I did but then everything just froze and I ended up with a blue screen (first one I see in Windows 8) after that the problem with the jump list started.

#6 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:24

It was specifically related to IE10, all other jump lists were working normally, nothing else was broken and it happened after I installed a new version of RoboForm Pro, when installing I didn't realiaze Internet Explorer was open, the program asked me to close it to continue the installation, I did but then everything just froze and I ended up with a blue screen (first one I see in Windows 8) after that the problem with the jump list started.

That might have been it. I hate to ask, but do you mind trying to repro really quick (when you have time, and have made a fresh backup so you don't lose anything) to see if it happens again if you do that exact same thing? If so it might be something to point out the RoboForm & Windows folks. That way they can investigate if it's something RoboForm specific or if it's something that MS can work on to help avoid this issue. :)

#7 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 23:13

That might have been it. I hate to ask, but do you mind trying to repro really quick (when you have time, and have made a fresh backup so you don't lose anything) to see if it happens again if you do that exact same thing? If so it might be something to point out the RoboForm & Windows folks. That way they can investigate if it's something RoboForm specific or if it's something that MS can work on to help avoid this issue. :)

Actually I was able to identify the problem, it was a Microsoft Office 2013 update, today I was offered the update again ( it had been removed as I recovered my PC remember :)) and immediately after getting the update the Internet Explorer Jump List disappeared, so obviously a problem with this update, not getting it again :)

#8 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2012 - 23:50

I would recommend PMing Brandon Live with the specific KB for that update. He would probably know the right person to hand that off to internally.

#9 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:12

I'm also noticing the jump list disappearing and I don't recall Office 2013 installing any updates. I have the MSI-based version of Office 2013, not the streaming Office 365. Checked my recently installed updates for Windows and the last one was KB2751352.

#10 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:06

I'm also noticing the jump list disappearing and I don't recall Office 2013 installing any updates. I have the MSI-based version of Office 2013, not the streaming Office 365. Checked my recently installed updates for Windows and the last one was KB2751352.

Hmmmm for me the update to Office 2013 was definately the cause, I had almost forgot about the update though, cause it was kind of silent, just a little Office windows pops up telling you there's an update, you accept and then that's it, it didn't even reboot the PC, are you sure you did not get these update?.

#11 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:08

Hmmmm for me the update to Office 2013 was definately the cause, I had almost forgot about the update though, cause it was kind of silent, just a little Office windows pops up telling you there's an update, you accept and then that's it, it didn't even reboot the PC, are you sure you did not get these update?.

I don't recall seeing that at all. If someone could point me to a log of installed Office 2013 updates that would be great.

#12 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:20

I don't recall seeing that at all. If someone could point me to a log of installed Office 2013 updates that would be great.

Ok, today I was offered the update that messes up the Jump Lists for me, here's a screenshot, of course I did not accept it, not sure if this will help, try and see if your version of Office is already on that build number, if it is, it means you already got the update at some point or are automatically accepting updates without notifying you.

Attached Images

• Untitled.png

#13 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:53

Ok, today I was offered the update that messes up the Jump Lists for me, here's a screenshot, of course I did not accept it, not sure if this will help, try and see if your version of Office is already on that build number, if it is, it means you already got the update at some point or are automatically accepting updates without notifying you.

Hmm. Word 2013 reports the version of Office 2013 is 15.0.4128.1014.

#14 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:30

Denis, in that case did you try the instructions that I provided earlier to see if that fixes your case?

If it doesn't would you be averse to uninstalling the Office 2013 Preview temporarily to see if the problem is solved by removing it?

If removing Office fixes it (after trying the earlier fixed I linked to) I'd also recommend you ping Brandon Live, since he might be able to forward this onto the right person to look at a fix...if they haven't already noticed the behavior themselves internally.

#15 OP +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:38

Removing Office Preview did not fix it for me, I had to recover the PC from a previous back up, I have also PMed Brandom Live, but so far no answer from him :( I gonna see if there's another way to report this issue, there must be options to report bugs in the preview I'm guessing :)