• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,359 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:03

Regardless of a supposed obesity epidemic, this is still ridiculous. I don't see how they are even allowed to do something like this legally. The government needs to back the hell off. If we want to get fat, let us. It's not their right to control how much food we eat, nor how much we drink.

Well your tone might change when you receive the medical bill.

#32 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:06

obesity solution:

No, Child abuse. :s

#33 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08

yeah and what about the people that get all kinda fatty mcdonalds and BK food (a whole bag full) and scarf down cheetos and wait for it...... wait for it.....

order a

DIET SODA!!!!

I'm like WTF????

#34 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,553 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08

No, Child abuse. :s

^ This is child abuse:

Attached Images

• mcdees.jpg

#35 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,554 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:13

yeah and what about the people that get all kinda fatty mcdonalds and BK food (a whole bag full) and scarf down cheetos and wait for it...... wait for it.....

order a

DIET SODA!!!!

I'm like WTF????

They just shaved off 300+ calories off their meal, It all adds up

#36 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:16

300 when the calorie count blows up a scouter????

#37 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:25

^ This is child abuse:

He sure needs to lay off the MCDonalds for a few decades.

#38 Harrison H.

Harrison H.

Neowinian

• 580 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:37

It's not a "supposed" obesity epidemic - it exists and is readily observable. In the US more than 68% of people are overweight and more than 35% are obese - it is predicted that the percentage of people that are obese will increase to 42% by 2030. Those numbers should be shocking to any civilised society and yet very little is being done about it. In many ways it is very similar to people's reaction to climate change in that people (mostly) recognise that it's a serious problem but oppose any action being taken to address it.

Doing nothing isn't an option. You can tout personal freedoms and blame individuals but when the vast majority of the country is overweight the reality is that something is going wrong on a massive scale. The food available for sale today just isn't healthy. Do I think this move is ideal? Absolutely not. But it's better than doing nothing. The food industry should be heavily regulated and foods with high calorie contents should be heavily taxed or banned. That's what happens with tobacco, so it's far from unprecedented.

If you oppose change and don't offer any solutions then you're part of the problem. Obstructing those trying to address the obesity epidemic isn't helpful.

It is a "supposed" epidemic. Did you know that the scale, BMI, was devised in 1830? Most people, probably even yourself, would be considered overweight by that scale. The issue isn't the people when it comes to the rising numbers. It's the fact that the scale used to classify people is old and outdated.

Doing nothing is an option, because there isn't a problem. It wasn't that long ago that being what you consider overweight would have actually been considered healthy.

Restricting what types of foods we eat and how much of it isn't going to change anything. You could eat the healthiest food in the world and nothing but, and you know what? You still wouldn't lose enough weight to be considered healthy. The only thing that is going to help people is exercise, and unfortunately that is not an activity that is popular in a modern civilization.

I'm not opposing change, I'm simply saying there's no reason to, and even if there was, government intervention is not the way to go about it. People like you are exactly what is wrong with this country and the rest of the world. I guess I'll end this on a similar note. Obstructing those trying to live with the freedom that this country was fought for, that blood was shed for, isn't helpful.

#39 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,457 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:22

I'm against the ban, I'm against banning most things that only hurt yourself.

With that said, I'd have no objection to them putting a massive tax on larger servings. Just like smoking, don't ban it, but tax it to cover the costs associated with it.

#40 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,588 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:39

order a

DIET SODA!!!!

I'm like WTF????

Diet Coke actually has more caffeine than regular Coke, hence the reason I prefer Diet. However, I don't like McDonald's :D

#41 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:41

It is a "supposed" epidemic. Did you know that the scale, BMI, was devised in 1830? Most people, probably even yourself, would be considered overweight by that scale. The issue isn't the people when it comes to the rising numbers. It's the fact that the scale used to classify people is old and outdated.

Doing nothing is an option, because there isn't a problem. It wasn't that long ago that being what you consider overweight would have actually been considered healthy.

Restricting what types of foods we eat and how much of it isn't going to change anything. You could eat the healthiest food in the world and nothing but, and you know what? You still wouldn't lose enough weight to be considered healthy. The only thing that is going to help people is exercise, and unfortunately that is not an activity that is popular in a modern civilization.

I'm not opposing change, I'm simply saying there's no reason to, and even if there was, government intervention is not the way to go about it. People like you are exactly what is wrong with this country and the rest of the world. I guess I'll end this on a similar note. Obstructing those trying to live with the freedom that this country was fought for, that blood was shed for, isn't helpful.

^^Pretty much this.

---
The actual reason for higher so called obesity rates is because they changed to the BMI system as an indicator
On this system everyone is pretty much overweight, it doesn't take into account muscle, it's just height vs weight

Someone that is 6ft tall and 200 pounds is actually overweight, even if it's all muscle, add another 22 pounds of
muscle on to that, the person is obese.

The problem isn't as big as they'd like people to believe, and they're focusing on the wrong thing, the problem is
pretty much everything in the modern western diet.

But that doesn't mean we should go around banning things, people should be educated, and let them choose it's their life and body to ruin.

#42 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:05

Can you say "ACLU."

#43 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:29

Wow! So many people upset because the government is stepping on your toes. The government is going to keep taking away everything until we have nothing. So let's keep Obama in or bring Romney in and see how bad it gets. Neither one of them are worth a sh*t.

#44 Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:37

hilarious how you just cant please the average american, no matter what you try to do to help them, they will bang on about their "freedom"

Freedom for those who dont understand it, and it seems a lot of americans dont, is a privilege, not a right
and you have to do your bit to earn it.

NYC board of health is doing somethign proactive, but if that infringes on your twisted understanding of freedom and you would rather keep downing a bucket of soda and 30 different types of cheese on a 20lb hamburger, then go ahead. but if i was a taxpayer and i knew that you banged on in outrage about something this trivial and that is designed to do you actual good, i wouldnt be funding your heart bypass down the track when youre gasping for breath, probably gasping on about your "freedom: and rights"

theres countless nutters on here posting about how much they hate (mostly due to ignorance) "obamacare", and then NYC does something proactive to try and lessen the chances people will need to use healthcare and prolong their lives, and theres nutters now complaining about that.

i mean f%$k me, but are some of you that mental?

turn thy nuclear bombs on thyself and do the world a favour

unbelievable

#45 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,457 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:48

Wow! So many people upset because the government is stepping on your toes. The government is going to keep taking away everything until we have nothing. So let's keep Obama in or bring Romney in and see how bad it gets. Neither one of them are worth a sh*t.

The President of the US has nothing at all to do with what municipal laws are passed.. but thanks for playing.