GPU comparison - bit of a weird one I know

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a weird one but I'm confused. The last time I built a computer the GPU I got was a BFG 8800 GTS 320mb.

Out of the current range of cards, what would be an equivalent of it? The only reason I ask is that I haven't looked at anything to build a comp in years and I don't want to get anything that is worse than it.

I have a KFA2 gtx 660ti on my list currently to buy but wondering if anything else would be better or on par as that for cheaper also?

Thanks

NVIDIA recently announced the GeForce GTX 660 and 650. According to their benchmarks, the GTX 660 (not the GTX 660 Ti) is "up to four times as fast as the 8800 GT". If you want the extra performance, you can stick with the GTX 660 Ti. If not, then you can save money by getting the GTX 660.

The 8800 GTS is very old. If I remember correctly, it was released in 2006. Just about every modern video card on the market outperforms it (aside from the low-end cards).

• Like 2

http://www.guru3d.co...ex-oc-review/19

Here you will see a review with that card and how it phares against others

the 660 ti is ALOT faster than the 8800 GTS ( unfortunately the 8800 GTS is not on that list in the review :s )

Thanks!

Haha so pretty much every card on the market just now is faster! Awesome, think I will stick with the 660ti as it will be good for the future.

I'm just so out of tune lol

thanks

I'm a bit confused - do you want a card that has similar performance to the 8800 GTS (because anything modern will be a lot better than the 8800 GTS) OR do you want a card that is similar in price/performance when the 8800 GTS came out? I'm assuming the latter...You could go with the GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670, since the 8800 GTS was below the 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra, in terms of 8 series performance.

NVIDIA recently announced the GeForce GTX 660 and 650. According to their benchmarks, the GTX 660 (not the GTX 660 Ti) is "up to four times as fast as the 8800 GT". If you want the extra performance, you can stick with the GTX 660 Ti. If not, then you can save money by getting the GTX 660.

The 8800 GTS is very old. If I remember correctly, it was released in 2006. Just about every modern video card on the market outperforms it (aside from the low-end cards).

Hi, I read that as well, it was just bang for buck I was looking at in comparison. I will need to think but I found myself questioning my decisions so wanted to make sure what I selected was good.

Least I know now what is better than what I previously had so will jsut have to mess around with parts and see what I can come up with.

Thanks

I'm a bit confused - do you want a card that has similar performance to the 8800 GTS (because anything modern will be a lot better than the 8800 GTS) OR do you want a card that is similar in price/performance when the 8800 GTS came out? I'm assuming the latter...You could go with the GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670, since the 8800 GTS was below the 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra, in terms of 8 series performance.

I didnt want something similar. I was looking to find out what was better now just so I didnt buy something that was worse.

And it has been confirmed to me what you just said, that most cards nowadays are better.

So the 660ti that I selected is still my current choice but will look at other options posted as well.

• Like 1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/9

If you have time, read the whole review. I linked to a graph that has an 8800 compared to many of today's cards just to give you an idea of what a huge jump you're about to make. I don't think the 660ti is really worth the extra money. I'd get the standard GTX 660 for $229.

What would be better? Two 560Ti's in SLi, or two 660s in SLi. (Not the 660Ti's.) Or is it a marginal side-grade?

Don't mean to slightly hijack your thread CW-88...

My apologies.

What would be better? Two 560Ti's in SLi, or two 660s in SLi. (Not the 660Ti's.) Or is it a marginal side-grade?

Don't mean to slightly hijack your thread CW-88...

My apologies.

Two GeForce 660s would be better. The performance difference isn't massive but it's definitely more than marginal. However, it isn't worth it if you're upgrading from 2x 560 Ti.

You could take a look at the AMD Radeon 7950's. Bout the same price as the 660Ti but has comparable performance to the 670 in games so id say there the best bang for ya buck in that price range. I personally like the Radeon cards but like with anything its personal preference.

You could take a look at the AMD Radeon 7950's. Bout the same price as the 660Ti but has comparable performance to the 670 in games so id say there the best bang for ya buck in that price range. I personally like the Radeon cards but like with anything its personal preference.

Torch the heathen!!!

Kidding, kidding - just that since the AMD merger I haven't really seen much come out of them that would make me switch back - I used to be a huge AMD/ATI fan. I am also addicted to Digital Vibrance.

Two GeForce 660s would be better. The performance difference isn't massive but it's definitely more than marginal. However, it isn't worth it if you're upgrading from 2x 560 Ti.

Thanks. I had two 560Ti's but I needed an emergency birthday present for my brother so gave him one. (I don't remember these things. =/, the flaw of not having a facebook.)

I was looking to buy another 560Ti to run SLi again, but wasn't sure if spending another $270 was worth it for future proofing. Or just spend $460 on two 660s and either sell my current 560Ti, or use it as another gift.

Epic useful post! Thanks for that,

Thanks guys, I have a fair amount to consider now. I mean I was happy with the performance of my previous card so I guess I have alot of options open to me :)

Thanks

no problemo, happy shopping :D