Photo

Is it just me?

android buggy as hell

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Guest_LiquidCrystalMeth_*

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:52

First step to a happy Android phone experience: Get rid of the default ROM, especially if its a vendor branded one, makes a massive difference

Even a lowly old HTC Buzz can be made snappy with a bit of MTD repartitioning and CyanogenMod. More memory, better memory usage and higher clocks AND better battery life

Only recently got rid of it :)

#17 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:01

Android isn't a buggy OS :|

It's more than capable of dealing with app crashes.

I have to join in agreement with the people suggesting moving to AOSP or Cyanogen Mod builds. They are a step and then come ahead of the competition.

#18 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:01

Android is pretty unstable and buggy. And even when it's an app that has an issue. The android core is poorly coded to handle a crash, and even a compel rely frozen core won't cause a reset, meaning it gets stuck frozen.

All incorrect. Android itself isn't buggy.
When an app has an issue and crashes, i've just had to press "close" and that's the end of the matter.

If you're experiencing anything to the contrary, i'd say you've got a faulty device.

#19 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:05

If you're having crashing, instability, sluggishness and or pretty much any other issues it's one of two things...

1.) Your device sucks. Should have spent the money on a higher model.

2.) You're doing it wrong. (Ie. You're using the stock ROM and or silly apps not properly maintained by their developers)

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:23

Same as Windows Phone. Stuff happens

The difference is that when I used my win phone, sure it crashed and locked up, being a HTC piece of crap, but when it did the kernel detected it no rebooted the device. Android does to detect crashes and lock ups, leaving the phone frozen.

#21 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:00

HTC (and other manufacturers) like to stick a load of crap on top of Android to make it 'their version'.
Drop it all, root the phone and stick on CyanogenMod and watch a bug free phone materialise before your very eyes!

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:02

The difference is that when I used my win phone, sure it crashed and locked up, being a HTC piece of crap, but when it did the kernel detected it no rebooted the device. Android does to detect crashes and lock ups, leaving the phone frozen.

I am yet to crash my Android tablet kernel. I have crashed my Windows Phone kernel about 5 times in the last 2 years.

Android isn't the issue here. It's either your ROM or your provider. The basic Android OS is perfectly fine.

#23 cut

cut

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:12

First off, I will never switch to an iPhone or any products made by Apple. {period.}

So lets start... lol is it just me or is Android buggy/glitchy as hell?

Btw, I have an HTC Vivid running the latest version that it can handle.

ASOP ROMs are a lot more stable.

HTC Sense tends to be slow....Id switch like many have said to the stable build of CyanogenMod for your phone.
You might just have a bad phone as well.

#24 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:23

2.) You're doing it wrong. (Ie. You're using the stock ROM and or silly apps not properly maintained by their developers)

Isn't that pretty bad though? I mean the LEAST a stock ROM should do is atleast stay stable, since it can't be expected to do anything above and beyond lol

#25 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:39

Isn't that pretty bad though? I mean the LEAST a stock ROM should do is atleast stay stable, since it can't be expected to do anything above and beyond lol

Most stock ROMs are stable. Once people start randomly downloading apps and changing settings they know nothing about, of course things start to get a little spastic. People who aren't very savvy tend to download shiny and pretty apps that suck their battery dry, spam them with notifications, tweak things that don't need to be tweaked and then add the regular bloat that carriers and some manufacturers throw in on top of all that.....can see where I'm going.

Don't get me wrong, it's not always the user's fault. However, the majority of the time it is ;)

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:53

I am yet to crash my Android tablet kernel. I have crashed my Windows Phone kernel about 5 times in the last 2 years.

Android isn't the issue here. It's either your ROM or your provider. The basic Android OS is perfectly fine.

As long as androd ore can't recover fom a lockup on its own. Yes android is the issue. I lost on of how often my crappy HTC crashed. It just didn't matter because WP reset and put it right back here it was

#27 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58

You're not the only one who feels that way as I will NEVER own ANY Apple product or, while we're some what on the subject, any Google product/app either!! :x

#28 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:01

I think Android is buggy, laggy, glitchy, ram hog.

When you look at an OS like WP7.5, smooth and consistent you soon see compared, Android is horrible

That being said, I still enjoy Android, but only for the same reason I enjoy playing with Linux on a PC, would never have it as a main os but it passes the time

#29 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:06

Yeah, nice job on trolling. As a user of both Windows phone and Android, I have definitely had no problems on either. BTW, your WP device crashing has nothing to do with it being an HTC. WP doesn't allow much modification to the WP underlying architecture, in the sense that Android manufacturers can go wild on customization and putting on their own UI (ex: Sense, Touchwiz, Blur, etc.). I have never had the Android OS crash on me, I have had apps. force close, but from all the apps. that I have used, developers update very quickly (and yes, Android devs. are far more responsive than WP developers).

#30 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:08

I think so far my phone has only freaked out once and restarted itself. Then again, I'm constantly messing around with my phone so it might be something that I had done unintentionally. Overall I find it very stable.