• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnsonBox

JohnsonBox

Neowinian ELITE

• 2,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:53

The (hot) topic that I've posted yesterday has disappeared, quietly:

If God was omnipotent, why hasn't He turned Satan into a good man?

I've just read through 2 pages of the sincere and serious replies. Because the net speed from China was quite slow so I have prepared to read it today only to find it vanished like a vapor.

If the thread has violated any Neowin's rule you'd given me a notice or a private message, but I received none.

I"ve been complaining China's obscurantism about its notorious online filter and "great wall," and now this American site downgraded itself to follow suit this ungraceful behavior?

The only comfort that I have had is that I've copied some replies. Here's one for memory:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

------------------------------------------

Please, cherish the intelligence rescource contributed by global members of Neowin.

Free Speech is one of the universally applicable values which should be available here.

#2 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:55

I'd pull this topic if I were you.

They don't like you questioning them publicly..

They put you in a hole :o

Also: Original sin begets free choice. That's their argument. Dogmatically it's solid, but personally I think it's BS.

EDIT::
Neowin has every right to suppress free speech. They aren't a country, they are a private "domicile" with contractual rights you agreed to.

#3 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,923 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:11

Topics are pulled or closed when people start being childish in their responses, judging from the subject matter, this is probably what happened. I'll look into it though.

*It's monday morning, and I have to research a religious topic :/ *

#4 OP JohnsonBox

JohnsonBox

Neowinian ELITE

• 2,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:43

Well, thank you for paying attention to this thread, Neobond.

Some replies were probably childish, as you've pointed out; but there were wise ones as well. The latter is much similar to what Francis Collins explained in his book The Language of God, which quite amazed me.

Francis Collins, director of NIH, known for his leadership in Human Genome Project.

I'd pull this topic if I were you.

They don't like you questioning them publicly..

They put you in a hole :o

Also: Original sin begets free choice. That's their argument. Dogmatically it's solid, but personally I think it's BS.

EDIT::
Neowin has every right to suppress free speech. They aren't a country, they are a private "domicile" with contractual rights you agreed to.

Thanks for coming.
But I would like to compare the degree of freedom between China and United States, even if that means I will possibly get a warning.

#5 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:45

not to start this into a huge debate... but remember this is a private forum, aka owned by private owners, not a public government entity, free speech isn't necessarly protected here... so to say "Free Speech is one of the universally applicable values which should be available here." yeah great and all, but Steve has the final say on what can and can't be said here as it's not a "public" entity, aka owned by the government where free speech is protected at

#6 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,923 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:47

The problem is that I don't know why the thread was deleted, I can't find a report on it, so yeah :p

#7 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:51

The problem is that I don't know why the thread was deleted, I can't find a report on it, so yeah :p

Time to stop the free beer for mods policy :rofl:

#8 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,542 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:50

looks like it was merged into the Official Religion Thread 2

took 2 clicks to find Johnsonbox's posts and there's the initial one from his missing thread ;)

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 16:58

looks like it was merged into the Official Religion Thread 2

took 2 clicks to find Johnsonbox's posts and there's the initial one from his missing thread ;)

In that case then wouldn't the OP have been able to find this by simply viewing their own posts content using the tools on the site instead of starting up a conspiracy theory thread about oppression? ;)

BTW, since it might not sound like it, I'm not saying you're not telling the truth. I'm saying the OP should have looked harder. :p

#10 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:09

Thanks for coming.
But I would like to compare the degree of freedom between China and United States, even if that means I will possibly get a warning.

Well that's just stupid then isn't it.

#11 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:16

Yea it's been merged with the Official Religion Thread II.

#12 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,708 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 14:37

The "classical" answer to the problem of evil, in line with St. Augustine, is that a universe with evil may be overall better than a universe without - God allows evil to exist because a greater good may arise from it. See http://www.newadvent...then/05649a.htm for a good introduction on the topic.