IOS 6 worth the update?

WIll IOS 6 be worth a update to my ipod touch 4g? Its running really slow on IOS 5.0.1. What do you guys think?

its up to you, i just updated my iPad 3, and so far im feeling Meh about it ( not impressed )

played with Siri a bit, but i dont plan on using Siri alot, or the Maps. the tablet is basically just a Browser / e-reader, as i dont care to lug around a 17in laptop everywhere.

all in all because both of us are not on the iPhone, just the iPod Touch and iPad there isnt much change from iOS 5

something i noticed about maps, is that you it wont give me directions :s

tried postcodes, (UK) from one area to another and it didn work!!!!

oh and that 3d map thing is only for central london! the suburbs dont count!

something i noticed about maps, is that you it wont give me directions :s

tried postcodes, (UK) from one area to another and it didn work!!!!

oh and that 3d map thing is only for central london! the suburbs dont count!

Apple should of developed the maps app for at least another year before releasing it. The comparisons I've seen are terrible.

No. I'm staying with iOS 5.1.1. I'm not impressed with this at all. One app looks like felt, one like leather, one like cloth.

If there going to do real world objects, shouldn't they make all of the apps like that?

So for example, The Music app will look like this:

post-447111-0-20263200-1348089026.jpg

Or the Video app like this?:

post-447111-0-08231900-1348089150.jpg

At the very least, they should change the calender and contacts app to have a book/leather appearance like it's Mac OS counterpart.

The new Maps app is showing me some really awful content, like with huge chunks of super low-res black and white imagery for the city I live in.

If you are having issues with the sluggishness of ios 5, I recommend doing a fresh install of iOS 6 and not an over the air update.

As for whether or not you should upgrade, unless you want to preserve a jailbreak then I don't see why not. Only reason I can think of is if you want to keep Google maps. The new maps is a bit of a downgrade and several people are saying that they have issues with their area of the world. For me and where I live, I really can't tell a difference except that the new app lacks a ground level "street view".

I doubt that iOS 6 will lead to poorer performance. Unlike v4 which added 'multitasking' features and v5 which added the notifications bar, there are not any big features that may adversely effect the performance of older devices. If anything it might actually help performance (but don't hold me to that...). On my iPhone 4 its about the same performance wise as v5 was.

Yeah you can download any version you want here:

http://www.felixbrun.../iPod/firmware/

The just do the Ctrl or Alt "trick" in iTunes to choose the firmware file manually.

Not really familiar with the ctrl or alt trick but I am sure I can find it, thanks heaps for the link, looking forward to getting this again.

No. I'm staying with iOS 5.1.1. I'm not impressed with this at all. One app looks like felt, one like leather, one like cloth.

There is no new skeuomorphism in iOS 6 that iOS 5 didn't already have except for the new Passbook application which didn't exist on iOS 5.

There is no new skeuomorphism in iOS 6 that iOS 5 didn't already have except for the new Passbook application which didn't exist on iOS 5.

I couldn't get complete an NFC transaction when using Passbook on my iPhone 5. Any suggestions?

I couldn't get complete an NFC transaction when using Passbook on my iPhone 5. Any suggestions?

Wait till iPhine 6 as the iPhone5 doesnt have NFC as far as i know

Unrelated to your post, but related to Topic

http://www.macstories.net/stories/the-ios-6-trilemma/

You should at least update to 5.1. My iPod Touch felt a lot better with that than the 5.0.1 it came with. 5.1.1 is fine too.

I'm gonna sit it out and wait for performance/compatibility reports before I try 6.0.

I updated my iPhone 4s to it last week when the GM build was released and havent looked back. It runs great for me, and some apps are finally starting to use Passbook today, like Walgreens for example. List others if you know them.

Just wish I could get iOS 6 on my iPad 1st Gen.... how the 3gs can get it but my iPad 1 can't is beyond me

wow....i am off the computer for 3 hours and i come back and see 22 replies and almost 700 views. lol. Anyway i whent for the update and so far it is running great. I like the facebook intigration and it seams smoother for me. The one thing i dont like is that passbook doesent have alot of apps yet =/

wow....i am off the computer for 3 hours and i come back and see 22 replies and almost 700 views. lol. Anyway i whent for the update and so far it is running great. I like the facebook intigration and it seams smoother for me. The one thing i dont like is that passbook doesent have alot of apps yet =/

Agreed but they will come.. OR you can always make your own using http://www.passsource.com/

I'm not really sure what Gizmodo expect out of 3D maps, you see the same "issue" with Google Maps as well (which is why they replace things like bridges with custom models).

And they them seem to compare street view with a 3D 45 degree view, which are very different things.