Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Facebook desktop chat client suggestions

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you guys use a desktop client for your Facebook contacts? This is when I don't want to be distracted with the news feed. Suggestions?

Posted

Trillian?

Posted

Adium on Mac...

On Windows I'd suggest using Pidgin (slow development sometimes it seems...) or Trillian. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Posted

Facebook do their own desktop chat client. It's simple and works well. However, I choose to use Trillian instead

Posted

Adium on Mac...

On Windows I'd suggest using Pidgin (slow development sometimes it seems...) or Trillian. :)

I think people should avoid Pidgin at the moment; what with all the security issues in the purplelib ;)

Posted

Adium for Mac. But then I got rid of it because I found it pointless to use a chat client for FB.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Trillian. and Facebook's own client.

Posted

Or if you're on MSN (or whatever it's called these days), just use Messenger to connect to FB.

Posted

I use trillian 5, its got great facebook integration (and also supports pretty much every other network) and is also very light on resource usage.

Posted

I use Trillian 5 as well. Love it.

Posted

I'm on Trillian 5 too and it's good enough for me. :)

Posted

I just uninstalled the Facebook messenger that Facebook developed themselves. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the thing to stop popping up on start up.

Posted

I just uninstalled the Facebook messenger that Facebook developed themselves. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the thing to stop popping up on start up.

Use CCleaner to disable it on startup.

Posted

The facebook deskop one itself is really good i used it for a while, i use Pidgin now though

Posted

Adium on Mac...

"Messages" (iChat) in Mac OS supports Facebook chat very well (Jabber protocol), no need for a third party software ;)

http://brajeshwar.com/2012/setup-facebook-chat-with-messages-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

Posted

I use fTalk. Has video chat too. Just avoid installing the toolbar.

Posted

"Messages" (iChat) in Mac OS supports Facebook chat very well (Jabber protocol), no need for a third party software ;)

http://brajeshwar.com/2012/setup-facebook-chat-with-messages-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

I'm aware of that, however, as much as I like the benefits of Messages, you can't get me to move towards it as I'd lose some precious features and I like to keep my messaging as open (as in OSS) as possible.

Adium is open-source, so even if they stopped developing it, it'd be fairly easy to export the chat logs to sensible formats.

I REALLY like the integration with Mail though, as in seeing that someone is online or offline.

Totally dig that, but oh well... :(

Can't have everything I guess...