Can't update iPhone 3GS even to 6.0 (error 3194)

So after the problems in the previous thread i 'gave in' & decided to upgrade to v6.0.

Seems this also doesn't work. It wont let me do this & i get an error 3194 message. I'm receiving no carrier signal due to attempting to downgrade my baseband as per instructions on iClarified.

I just want to get my phone to work. Any ideas?

From looking around online it could be due to editing your hosts file.

Try this

Fix Error 3194

The fix is the same regardless of what operating system you are using:

• Quit iTunes
  • Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
  • Add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file:
  • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
  • Connect your iPhone to the computer
  • Launch iTunes
  • Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode** by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
  • Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device

How to enter iPhone DFU mode

• Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
  • Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
  • Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
  • Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected

iphone-itunes-dfu-mode.png

Source

Does IOS6 even support the 3GS? Not sure.

Yes it does, which is because it was still officially sold shortly before the start of iPhone 5.

Glassed Silver:mac

Does IOS6 even support the 3GS? Not sure.

Yes it does. Possibly the final hurrah for the 3GS.

So after the problems in the previous thread i 'gave in' & decided to upgrade to v6.0. Seems this also doesn't work. It wont let me do this & i get an error 3194 message. I'm receiving no carrier signal due to attempting to downgrade my baseband as per instructions on iClarified. I just want to get my phone to work. Any ideas?

Update your iTunes to the latest version (10.7), then perhaps u could do a full backup of your device and the restore it then upgrade it to iOS 6.

Technique: Error 3194 search on Apple's Website says that access to gs.apple.com may be getting BLOCKED by your PC or Mac's Firewall.

Well i have fixed it, sort of & now i really don't like my phone.

What i did was pretty simple in the end ....... Settings>General>Reset

Then i selected to reset the settings but not the files. After this i TRIED resetting the entire phone but it just had a spinning circle for an hour. I shut the phone down & restored via iTunes & it finally allowed me.

So now i'm running iOS6 & i really don't like it.

The phone is no longer jailbroken. I have no idea if an untethered jailbreak is available or not for this.

I have my SHSH blobs saved, but i've no idea how to use them. I also have no idea if i can downgrade to a version of iOS5. I know online articles suggest i can, but online articles also gave ways of solving the 3194 error & none of them worked.

So in the end, i'm happy that i can now actually USE the phone - make calls, send texts etc, but i'm not happy with what i've gained/lost.

I had the same issue, I read a tutorial where I flushed DNS, then I tried to upgrade and got Error 6.

I googled that error and it had to do with the firewall, I go to my settings and see the firewall was off, so I turned it on, then I went to go upgrade again and it worked.

As for a jailbreak, there is a "tethered" jailbreak available. But you can also downgrade from what I have read on The iPhone Dev team's website.

Edit: I just went to upgrade my iPad 2 because it didn't matter if it was jailbroken or not. But, I received the Error 6 message again, opened up my Firewall, since it was "On" so I just clicked on the lock to make changes (which I didn't), hit restore in iTunes and now my iPad 2 is on iOS 6. I'm assuming I need to run iTunes in Administration mode when I want to upgrade.

Google will release a Maps app either way eventually and it's not like there are no other navigation or maps apps in the App Store lol

Yes, if you saved your blobs, you can downgrade.

I have never done that before, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask how to do it and what to pay attention to, sorry. :/

Glassed Silver:mac

Interesting, i was getting the same error while trying to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.11 so I could jb my ipad. I tried a range of things from tiny umbrella, to the hosts to different cables :p but did not try the reset. Not sure I still can do the 5.11 update as I believe the signing period has ended etc but your solution may be handy if I choose to go to 6 as I suspect it will give me grief still.

why would you expect your phone to be jailbroken after upgrading to iOS6? :s

Well a tethered jailbreak is available, just a matter of time before the untethered version is released.