Photo

Where will smartphones be in five years time?

smartphones

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:53

I agree with Nik,

I want dockable phones or seemless integration also.. A dockable small (sub 4inch) phone, into a desktop monitor, or smaller tablet or wirelessly to a wrist unit would be great.

So when I'm in the office at work I can check simple tasks on my watch and leave my phone safely in my backpack or drawer. At home I can plug it straight into my larger monitor and do emails and browsing on a standard keyboard. The phone UI would have to cope with these different modes smoothly. I don't just want a big phone on my monitor.

The phone itself could just be a black box for all I care. Like an Onyx obelisk mini-server that just sits there.

Actually, the way things are going, why have the phone unit at all. Just the watch please for outside use. Then it syncs with thin-client at home throughout the day.

Actually... it doesn't even need to sync, it's allway on line using the same cloud files.

If I need to type anything, then next largest item I have on me is my wallet. So in my wallet I have a foldable double-credit-card sized screen I can use.

#47 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:01

Hopefully, dumbed WAY down!! :)

#48 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:55

I think MS's vision is something we can expect at some time. The phone concept is at about 2:20.

The size probably will not change, but more the thickness and the screen that use more of the surface area. Might even use all of it. What will change the most is the services and usage for the phone. Almost everybody own a smart phone today. It will become the most central thing in our life for sure. From payment to controlling your house. Not everything will come as soon as 5 years, but some of it.

#49 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:21

I think that it's fairly obvious to me that phones will become your primary personal computer. They will get to a point where they reach the power level of any other computer, and we'll end up docking our phones to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and have our full system running, with a mobile interface when on the phone's screen to still access all your data, but in a finger friendly way. Like Webtop, but not slow as **** and actually useful. Webtop is a good example of phones already headed that way, and I think with a little more power, it's quite a realistic expectation. I could definitely see this happening in the next 5 years, but maybe a little longer. Look at how far phones have come in the last 5 years. I don't see any sign of a plateau that other's speak of. We're constantly releasing new versions of mobile OSes with more and more features, phones are continuing to get more powerful, in fact, they seem like they are gaining power faster than they have in the past. We just went dual core, less than 2 years ago, then quad core Cortex A9 and dual core A15(ish), quad core A15 is coming very soon and x86 is starting to see an appearance in the mobile world. I think x86 may succeed in the mobile market as well, but it won't push out ARM. In fact, I think mobile computing in the next 5 years will also push the ARM architecture to more mainstream computing. We're seeing the power of ARM cores grow incredibly fast, similar to how x86 CPUs did. The efficiency and power savings will make 8 and 16 core ARM chips common in desktop computing as well.

5 years can sound like it's not that far down the road, but at the same time, it can feel like a LONG time. 5 years ago, most smart phones were around 500 MHz, had about 128, or maybe 192 MB of RAM, and had terrible resistive touch screens. Then the iPhone came out and lit a fire under the ass of the smartphone industry. There's no telling what the next 5 years will bring, but I'm certain it'll be exciting.

#50 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:27

in 5 years, Windows Phone X will be Windows X, and when you get home you dock your phone and it becomes your PC. In fact, the Windows Phone and Windows binaries will be identical, with the single differentiating factor being that if your phone is not docked, the "Desktop" tile disappears and all non-metro apps enter a suspended state.

Apps will be universal, and any non-universal Windows Phone app will appear in Windows as a normal app, but in that 1/3 of the screen... metro snap thing that's going on.