W2k: Low-Color Icons??

I just installed Windows 2000 on my computer here at work and I'm having some problems.... the icons in the start menu/alt-tab window/task bar/quick launch bar/etc are all showing up in really low color! I know it's kinda stupid, but it's driving me nuts!!!

Anybody know what the problem would be?

The video card is an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (PCI)... also, I'm using dual displays with an onboard Intel 815 chipset card... the primary is the AIW 128, though.

ATI is set on 32bit color and the Intel is set on 24bit (the highest it'll go)... I got it the "show icons using all possible colors" turned on, too!

Argh!

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance...

Gideon

well i'm guessing you got the latest drivers for your card right? Try turnng off Twin-view (us nVidia folks :) ) and then try it again. Secondly why not just all all the way to XP.. alot of that stuff wouldn't be there. Third.. just update to Windows 2k SP2 maybe that helps!

thanks for the reply.... here's my answers:

latest ATI drivers.... check

I'll try turning off duals, but that kinda defeats the purpose... the dual displays is more important than the icons...

Windows 2000 SP2... check

any other ideas?

My guess!

In the Registry (regedit) check under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktopWindowMetrics

(I'm running XP, but assume it's there in W2K as well)

Look for the value "Shell Icon BPP". If it's set to 32, modify it to 16. You could try 24, but better safe than annoyed. You'll need to log off&on for the change to take.