Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:02

I mostly didn't like how pixelated the display was. The iPhone was magnitudes better, which really surprised me.

#17 IronSkull

IronSkull

El Rechazo Del Diablo

• Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:02

Get the Note II, it's classy as hell and it's a fantastic phone. Size you'll get used to.

#18 vetScorpus

Scorpus

Tim Schiesser

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:16

The Note II may be bigger and faster but it has some huge trade-offs. For one it is essentially impossible to use one-handed, and because it's so large and Samsung continues to use ###### plastic, it's much more likely to slip out of your hand. The keyboard is absolutely atrocious despite its size, and handwriting recognition only goes so far.

You will almost certainly be inconvenienced by the size of the Note II, and for an extra 0.2 GHz in processor speed it's just not worth it unless you are specifically after the S-Pen/S-Note features.

BTW these opinions come from someone who has used both for reviews (I currently have a Note II so look out for a full review shortly)

#19 undertaken316

undertaken316

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:07

I won't say anything except that I saw this beautiful unboxing of the Note 2 and ordered it already

#20 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:01

I was looking at getting at the Note. The size scared me off and on AT&T atleast they only have the dark color. Not the white. So Im probably getting the S3. Besides I have a iPad 3.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 October 2012 - 00:55

Get the Note II, it's classy as hell and it's a fantastic phone. Size you'll get used to.

I want the Note 2, myself. Great device.

#22 smith.s

smith.s

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:18

Note 2 is better option. It's got faster processing speed than s3.

#23 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40

I got the Note 2 and am loving it. It's rocket fast, I mean really blisteringly so. I do have a few issues however:

1) TouchWiz - I PERSONALLY hate touchwiz, it ruins android, making 4.1 look like 3.2
2) ROM support - currently not found a decent AOKP rom for it yet that supports the pen
3) Pen - The case I use has a magnetic lock, which affects the pen. That said, I barely use the pen

Overall, I love it though! The size is NOT an issue. Everyone who had held it has said things along the lines of "Wow, it's actually really comfortable".

Let me address the below comments:

The Note II may be bigger and faster but it has some huge trade-offs. For one it is essentially impossible to use one-handed, and because it's so large and Samsung continues to use ****ty plastic, it's much more likely to slip out of your hand. The keyboard is absolutely atrocious despite its size, and handwriting recognition only goes so far.
You will almost certainly be inconvenienced by the size of the Note II, and for an extra 0.2 GHz in processor speed it's just not worth it unless you are specifically after the S-Pen/S-Note features.

I use it one handed all the time. Moreover, there is a keyboard option to shift it over to a more "thumb accessible" mode for people with girly baby hands ;)
It is plastic, yes. And crap plastic at that. But I NEVER use a phone outside of a case anyway, so it bothers me very little.
The handwriting recognition has blown me away, how it reads my hasty scrawl is beyond me, but it does.
But yes, the stock keyboard (part of TouchWiz?) Is crap

#24 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:50

Buy yourself a copy of Swiftkey ;)

#25 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:12

I use this https://play.google....boardplus&hl=en

#26 TechAddict

TechAddict

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:20

why don't you add a POLL :) ?? then we can all vote!!

#27 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:04

Because, I've already bought it...

#28 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:57

Because, I've already bought it...

Best purchase you'll make this year. :p

For ROMs, take a look over on XDA-Developers. There's already a beta of CM10 (Unofficial) available; this early days yet though. Personally, I like TouchWiz, and any non-TW ROM's are going to be missing all the lovely S-Pen features...

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:45

I use this https://play.google....boardplus&hl=en

That is cool. Thanks. :)

#30 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)